Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Default Good 2000s issues and arcs from Jenkins, Wells, Waid, Kelly, etc?

Hi, I was wondering if you had favorite tales I could read from some of the less talked about runs. The main writers of these eras I was less interested in, who did some of the big stories, but I like the sound of some of the side stuff.

Mackie for example had a run that some weren't into, and maybe not JMS for me, but Jenkins and Zeb Wells had stuff around then that sounded like it could be good for me. And then after Brand New Day there were some rotating writers like Kelly, Waid, etc. Some stuff looks fun there too.

But tough to tell which few issue arcs and shorter stories might read well on their own, skipping around. Though I may try a longer section like The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt too. But those nice stand-out single or two issue arcs are great to have as well.

Any favs from them? Also, any to avoid? I'd want to avoid any where Peter turns into a monster (Jenkins did that at one point), and any big dramatic shattering thing that fans didn't like.

Looking for comics gold, just some classic fun Spidey, to get a taste of these eras.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 01-15-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Incredible Member

I can’t remember who it was that wrote a 2 parter in Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 #25 and Peter Parker Spider-Man Vol 2 #25. I think it was Mackie. Anyhow it’s the 2 parter that a continuation of the Revenge of the Green Goblin mini series. This 2 parter is where Norman tries to convince Peter that he is Norman’s true heir. The reboot was poorly executed but I thought this story was a huge highlight in such an abysmal period.

BANNED

Jenkins was great. My favorite issues he did were the Uncle Ben trilogy (20, 33, Spectacular 27), 30-32, 37 and 35, which is maybe my favorite Spidey story of all time. The last page is a kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Jenkins was great. My favorite issues he did were the Uncle Ben trilogy (20, 33, Spectacular 27), 30-32, 37 and 35, which is maybe my favorite Spidey story of all time. The last page is a kicker.
    Yeah, all of these are real highlights (as well as the ASM#25 and PPSM #25 Green Goblin story, Mackie wrote the ASM issue and Jenkins wrote the PPSM issue). Love that 30-32 story with Fusion a ton. I think the other Jenkins Green Goblin story from PPSM 44-47 is really strong as well. Jenkins really wrote some of the strongest Green Goblin stories since his '90s resurrection. Jenkins' Spectacular Venom and Doc Ock stories are alright, kind of Marvel trying to chase the success and popularity of that Green Goblin arc with Ramos drawing it, they don't reach the heights of the Green Goblin story but they're entertaining and have things going on. Basically all of Jenkins' Peter Parker: Spider-Man stories are just entertaining and sometimes heartfelt, but his first story on Webspinners Tales of Spider-Man shouldn't be forgotten as it's a great Chameleon story. When Jenkins leaves Peter Parker: Spider-Man to prep for doing Spectacular, Zeb Wells took over that title 'til it ended and that arc with guys betting on villains sending them after Spidey was fun. Zeb Wells' Tangled Web issues with Frog-Man and the JJJ backstory issue are both really good.

Astonishing Member

Jenkins and Buckingham had one of the most underrated runs of all time. Of course there’s the human interest issues, like the Uncle Ben issue and the even better one with the neglected Black kid who imagines Spidey is also Black, but my favorite arc of his is the Fusion 3-parter. He was a great villain and it’s a shame no other writer continued with him. He blew up a building with 300 civilians inside in an issue that came out just before 9/11, so maybe that’s why he was sidelined and forgotten about for a while, but it’s time he came back.

Also, the Marvel Knights 12 issue run by Millar and Dodson, the post-BND ‘Unscheduled Stop’ 2-parter by Waid, the Sensational annual by Fraction that came out just before OMD… there’s a lot of good stuff from the 00s

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Jenkins and Buckingham had one of the most underrated runs of all time. Of course there’s the human interest issues, like the Uncle Ben issue and the even better one with the neglected Black kid who imagines Spidey is also Black, but my favorite arc of his is the Fusion 3-parter. He was a great villain and it’s a shame no other writer continued with him. He blew up a building with 300 civilians inside in an issue that came out just before 9/11, so maybe that’s why he was sidelined and forgotten about for a while, but it’s time he came back.

Also, the Marvel Knights 12 issue run by Millar and Dodson, the post-BND ‘Unscheduled Stop’ 2-parter by Waid, the Sensational annual by Fraction that came out just before OMD… there’s a lot of good stuff from the 00s
    I would cosign the Marvel Knights Spider-Man run by Millar and Dodson, particularly in light of Millar's take on the dynamic between Peter Parker and Norman Osborn, as well as Peter's relationships with the women in his life (Mary Jane, Aunt May, and Felicia Hardy/Black Cat) and even his rogues' gallery --- and his fellow superheroes, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

There's the Joe Kelly two-parter about Rhino that's some of my favorite spider-man stories ever

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    There's the Joe Kelly two-parter about Rhino that's some of my favorite spider-man stories ever
    Oh yeah, those are super good, I think those got a lot of well-deserved praise at the time too, really emotional and hard-hitting. The 2 part Hammerhead story he did was fun with Chris Bachalo. There's a lot of great deeper cut Spidey from all the eras that rarely makes it on the big 'best of' lists which generally just have the usual suspects.

Unscheduled Stop by Waid and Marcos Martin got a lot of praise, I think that's Waid's best Spidey story by far. Really simple premise that is beautifully conveyed by the art to its full potential.

There's a lot of gems in the Tangled Web series that slip by a lot, besides the Wells issues there's the two Darwyn Cooke issues that are brilliant fun that are some of my favorites ever. Flowers For Rhino in that series is another great emotional Rhino story. Come to think of it, a lot of my favorite Spidey comics are ones that typically aren't on those 'best of' lists lol. I think it's pretty reductive when things start being judged on their importance or how game-changing they are, there's so much more out there.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Very cool, thanks for the recs! "Return of the Goblin" and "Countdown" with Doc Ock are a couple that catch my eye from Jenkins especially, with that great Ramos art. And a lot of cool sounding issues there from the Brand New Day era too. I notice an issue with a card game, Jenkins' Spectacular #21, that looks fun.

Astonishing Member

Unscheduled Stop by Mark Waid/Marcos Martin.

Glad you created this thread, SavageJudgeDredd as I've barely read the names you brought up.

Astonishing Member

I liked the Character Assassination story arc as I felt like it was a good “Season Finale”.

Sure.

Jenkins is underrated as a writer. "One Small Break" from Peter Parker Spider-Man #30-32 is one of the best new villain intros ever. He also did a great two parter dealing with an obscure villain and euthanasia in Peter Parker Spider-Man #27-28. I highly recommend the "One Small Break" TPB which has both stories.

The Tangled Web series had some great standalone stories. My favorite was "Behind the Mustache" (#20) by Zeb Wells. It was an excellent Jonah spotlight. Another highlight was Darwyn Cooke's Valentines Day special (#11), which could've doubled as the first issue of an excellent run.

The earlier Webspinners anthology had some good comics, including a three parter by Joe Kelly (#7-9) about Peter's prom.

I think the Brand New Day era was a solid one, and generally well worth reading. The highlights are probably "Unscheduled Stop" by Mark Waid and Marcos Martin, and Shed by Zeb Wells and Chris Bachalo, although the latter is controversial.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

The story arc "Revenge of the Green Goblin" by Stern is a must read, and especially "Darkness Calling" and "Trick of the Light" by Mackie and Jenkins. Those are my all time favourite Green Goblin stories. I also really liked "Here There Be Monsters" by Jenkins, with fantastic Paolo Rivera art. But please, skip "The Lizard's Tale" by Jenkins, it's terrible