Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    You jest, but the Toxin mini was genuinely good. Spider-man? That's "sir not-appearing-in-this-book". Toxin is Carnage's offspring and bonds to a cop. Venom and Carnage do a bad cop worse cop routine trying to influence Toxin more than his host. It was a really neat story idea.
    And then Toxin went to limbo and the cop died off-screen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why can't he be senior citizen? Old people don't want role models?
    Because old people are generally not as attractive as characters, character looks are prefered for them to be young or peak of their age or whatever, so old characters don't show up as much.

Also I think senior citizens would be too old to care as much about having role models lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    R
    The problem is that alternate timelines are hard to keep, because readers generally stay focused on the main one, even bigger ones like MC2 and Ultimate eventually died off, and while Ultimate died because of Ultimatum, I'm not really sure it'd last beyond Spidey, though X-Men have a pretty good chance 'cause they're X-Men, and Ultimates were popular too, but probably would die-off anyways.

If we take premises "like 616 but not exactly" for an alternate universe, then it's harder to sell, because it can be seen as redundant, even if it becomes different later on, big time skips are generally done to avoid this idea of gradually aging up characters to be different already, slow burn can work, but an alternate universe has to stand out right away if it wants to compete with the established one to be an on-going.
    Perhaps one way to not make an alternate universe spider-man book redundant would be to set the book in the 1980's right after Peter gets married to Mary Jane in ASM Annual #21 and reimagine this time period where he continues to age at the pace he was aging at. This also wipes out storylines such as Clone Saga, Sins Past, OMD and Omit. You still get the 616-universe spider-man and an alternate book that stands out from current continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And then Toxin went to limbo and the cop died off-screen lol.
    That is not wrong. but it was a good story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    Perhaps one way to not make an alternate universe spider-man book redundant would be to set the book in the 1980's right after Peter gets married to Mary Jane in ASM Annual #21 and reimagine this time period where he continues to age at the pace he was aging at. This also wipes out storylines such as Clone Saga, Sins Past, OMD and Omit. You still get the 616-universe spider-man and an alternate book that stands out from current continuity.
    There's a reason why they called Pokémon Legends: Arceus a main series game despite it playing like a spin-off. The very idea that it's not mainstream can deter people from buying it.

An alternate universe is considered bad because it's an alternate universe; nothing more, nothing less.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

There's a reason why they called Pokémon Legends: Arceus a main series game despite it playing like a spin-off. The very idea that it's not mainstream can deter people from buying it.

An alternate universe is considered bad because it's an alternate universe; nothing more, nothing less.
    Then what do you call the ultimate universe in the early 2000s it was sometimes better and sold better than the main books. Some AUs are written as a self contained universe while others are better suited for a specific theme or hero(s)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Then what do you call the ultimate universe in the early 2000s it was sometimes better and sold better than the main books. Some AUs are written as a self contained universe while others are better suited for a specific theme or hero(s)
    Well, which universe is still ongoing right now?

Well, which universe is still ongoing right now?
    All of them technically. that's how existing works
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 01-21-2022 at 08:10 PM. Reason: could do this all day

Astonishing Member

All of them came back from the incursions?

All of them came back from the incursions?
    You die you die and if you live you live

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Why can't he be senior citizen? Old people don't want role models?
    Not the ones I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    Well, it'd depend on what they do with the current run, 'cause if MJ breaking up with Peter is a fake-out, then 80's era Spidey would be kinda redundant.

Alternate universes gotta stand out superficially to not be seen as redundant, 'cause if we have a Peter with MJ in one universe, and Peter with MJ in the main one, then it already looks too similar for example, though aging faster could help out for a while at least, but I dunno if that's enough to stand out on the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That is not wrong. but it was a good story.
    I think it was really silly how they decided to say "once every 1000 generations of symbiotes, the symbiote number 1000 is less evil and stronger than the rest", while I get that the intention was to make Toxin stand out right away, it's stupid to say symbiotes are evil by default, and just being stronger than usual is whatever when 90's Carnage was far stronger than Venom to begin with.

I mean they all "exist" but Ultimate as a line has been abandoned to the point its main star is now in 616.

Alternate universes can be really popular, but they're less likely to stick around in the long run, Ultimate lasted for a while admitedly, and probably would've lasted much longer if fucking Ultimatum didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Mighty Member

to get some happiness lately its beat him to a pulp again and agein an its seems to getting worse

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    to get some happiness lately its beat him to a pulp again and agein an its seems to getting worse
    It’s always been like that. It’s Spider-Man’s core feature.

Winning isn’t as important as him getting back up. If he was going to win, he wouldn’t have gotten knocked down in the first place.

more adventures outside of New York City. I wouldn't mind a road trip arc like what's planned for Steve Rogers. But I suppose that would probably end up in a separate mini series.
    a more stable job that's not going to get yanked from under him in a bizarre, convoluted way.
    Either he's making progress in his academic life or just leave it alone. No more plagiarism scandals.

Peter is more respected among his peers, not privately looked upon as just a goofball. Same goes with Spider-Man and his superhero peer groups.

A more reliable police connection. There's no more Watanabe, and no more Jean DeWolff. I have someone in mind, but I'll leave it alone for now.

An expanded social circle. New characters who actually last for a while. Plus some vintage supporting folks who usually have disappeared.

New villains. new villains. new villains. I'm not that interested in the latest super-scheme of Dr. Octopus; I'm not interested in returning him to "Superior Spider-Man" at all. I'm also not interested in any clone shenanigans. Ben still exists? Fine. That's it. I'm not interested in Kaine or the 12 other clones that are floating out there.
    I'm not interested in symbiotes. Flat out. I can't keep track, and the choice to make Brock/Venom nothing less than a cosmic status force is... again, I'm leaving it alone.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    more adventures outside of New York City. I wouldn't mind a road trip arc like what's planned for Steve Rogers. But I suppose that would probably end up in a separate mini series.
    a more stable job that's not going to get yanked from under him in a bizarre, convoluted way.
    Either he's making progress in his academic life or just leave it alone. No more plagiarism scandals.

Peter is more respected among his peers, not privately looked upon as just a goofball. Same goes with Spider-Man and his superhero peer groups.

A more reliable police connection. There's no more Watanabe, and no more Jean DeWolff. I have someone in mind, but I'll leave it alone for now.

An expanded social circle. New characters who actually last for a while. Plus some vintage supporting folks who usually have disappeared.

New villains. new villains. new villains. I'm not that interested in the latest super-scheme of Dr. Octopus; I'm not interested in returning him to "Superior Spider-Man" at all. I'm also not interested in any clone shenanigans. Ben still exists? Fine. That's it. I'm not interested in Kaine or the 12 other clones that are floating out there.
    I'm not interested in symbiotes. Flat out. I can't keep track, and the choice to make Brock/Venom nothing less than a cosmic status force is... again, I'm leaving it alone.
    Aside from clones and symbiotes, generally agreed. Those would be good things to see going forward.
    The spider is always on the hunt.