Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Finally! Got to read this. Got to say, overall, found it pretty ordinary.

Costume silliness: me, I'm still the trench-coat fan from NEXT WAVE! but I understand how rarely we'll see that again... but... I think it'd be Very Cool if Monica changes between costumes present and past on a whim, or, even better, part of a plot set-up.

The fan in the street: I know people like that. Oh yeah. THAT, in fact, was to me one of the better, more real, parts of the comic. It felt more natural an up-dating narrative device than Monica's 'voice-over narration' [WHO is she TALKING to?] a few pages later.

The family stuff was okay for me, didn't sound as natural as Clark Kent at home, but he's got decades of at-home history, and we're just learning about Monica's.

Sure I'm sticking around for next issue. & then we'll see.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I read it...but This was the kind of issue that would be a good fourth issue. This is the first issue and I was expecting more.

It's not bad...but it's not that good either. The character is finally back and we are all talking about...Blue Marvel?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Well yeah. The big take away from the issue was that she's broken up with him for some reason. They didn't even explain why, it was a throwaway line about him being out of the picture.

And since no new romance came up, they probably could've just not mentioned him at all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Are some people still upset that Monica and Adam are still sleeping with each other despite the claims of them going their separate ways?

People are still taking about Blue Marvel?

This is why I said this is would make a good fourth issue because this is the kind of issue you do when most of the heavy lifting has been done.

It's a forgettable issue that feels less like a new beginning and more like a one off you would see in February when Marvel rolls out their comic with a collection of stories with black heroes by black creators in it. I know that is a harsh thing to say but that is the way I feel.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Doesn't sound that harsh but does sound kind of i went out of my way just to make this specific point of this seems like a let's give a sister a shot and insulating the but why not with it's black history so like we have to at least appear to like marvel usually tries to. like trying to go the long way to sound deep but it was okay just splashing in the shallow end and getting to the point.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    People are still taking about Blue Marvel?

This is why I said this is would make a good fourth issue because this is the kind of issue you do when most of the heavy lifting has been done.

It's a forgettable issue that feels less like a new beginning and more like a one off you would see in February when Marvel rolls out their comic with a collection of stories with black heroes by black creators in it. I know that is a harsh thing to say but that is the way I feel.
    Marvel Voices.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Marvel Voices.
    LMAO exactly.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

any new power stunts yet in either series, solo or Thunderbolts? They should give her more power stunts.

Black History Month variant cover featuring Monica...
    SPIDER-MAN #5 BLACK HISTORY MONTH VARIANT COVER by KAREN S. DARBOE
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Love this cover and all the exposure Monica is getting.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Love that BHM cover!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Well, I guess using that variant cover on Spider-Man would normally make sense, as she did debut in a Spider-Man comic. But it comes out at a time when she has her own book, so why isn't it for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Truly cosmic .