Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Hoping regardless this will be the last name change for Monica. I'm really curious on what threat Monica will be taking on in this series. Personally I'm hoping.for a souped up Blackout or maybe Nyx though I really would love for her to go against The Sphinx.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Should have stuck with Spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of preferred Spectrum.

I'm glad Monica's getting a new book...her new costume looks kind of generic to me, but okay. I miss the jacket and dreads.

Same opinion here, agreed!!!

I guess its because of her mum's nickname in the air force (in the MCU) so from that pov, it makes sense but i preferred the dreads, prefered, the previous costume and i very much miss the long coat.

Anyhow, i hope Eve.Ewing does NOT ignore the Adica Ramshear romance..

Lucas Werneck's sketch design via his Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/p/ChoD9PBMQ7M/?hl=en

Not a fan of the new costume with the added stripe details. Do I see a bit od Serena Williams in the finished cover facial features? The updo princess-y hairstyle also doesn't seem befitting Monica's style history. Too fancy.

Re: Spectrum to Photon reversion - Besides the MCU use of the callsign Photon for Maria Rambeau, I still have an inkling that the prevalence of the term "spectrum" in the discussion of autism spectrum disorder et al, played an influence. "Spectrum" does sound a bit like one of the names that would have been used in that cancelled "Too Queer/Woke" version of the New Warriors that made the rounds...
    Curious to see how the series artist Michael Sta. Maria depicts the new look...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

According to the article we'll get to see Monica realize the true potential of her powers in the upcoming series -- which is great, except that Al Ewing established years ago that Adam Brashear and Monica can merge, becoming an extremely powerful Omega Servitor.

What is an Omega Servitor, you ask? Well, in the latest issue of Defenders Beyond, Ewing finally explained that Omega Servitors are beyond infinite beings -- i.e., Beyonders -- created in part to prevent another reality-rupturing Celestial War. Makes me wonder if they'll keep Ewing's treatment intact, or if they'll forego it and redefine Monica's power origins altogether?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Hoping regardless this will be the last name change for Monica. I'm really curious on what threat Monica will be taking on in this series. Personally I'm hoping.for a souped up Blackout or maybe Nyx though I really would love for her to go against The Sphinx.
    Sphinx? That could work, he's a Nova rogue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yep, plus he''s extremely powerful so Monica could really cut loose.

Incredible Member

Of course *a* version of Monica has encountered the Sphinx before (in the classic FOREVER YESTERDAY arc in NEW WARRIORS volume 1, issues #11-13 for those who want to check)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Of course *a* version of Monica has encountered the Sphinx before (in the classic FOREVER YESTERDAY arc in NEW WARRIORS volume 1, issues #11-13 for those who want to check)
    Yeah, it would be great, and I always prefered the female version of the villain. As a New Warriors fan, and a Monica fan, I think the baddie coulçd be shared. Maybe even some team-ups down the line?

Peace

I hope this becomes an ongoing series, or a "series of mini-series". I hope more cosmic adventures are stressed, off-Earth, settings where she can use a fuller expanse of her abilities. More villains and creatures need to be created just for her. I still want to see her absorb a sun and blow up a planet full of Brood, Xenomorphs or Yautjas..

Count me in as preferring Spectrum at this point.

I wonder if there will be a means for Monica to go back in time and rescue/resurrect her mother? Since her 616 mom was more or less killed off-screen with the throwaway line in Warren Ellis's Nextwave series, it kind of hobbled what could be done with that character. Of course, the 616 Maria up until this point was more of a traditional housewife (in her ultra-rare appearances) and not an ex-fighter pilot.
    I guess we'll see what happens, if anything. Maybe a distant familial connection to Bessie Coleman?
    https://www.npr.org/2022/08/23/11189...s-brave-bessie

"Monica Rambeau's history in 12 comics" (probably needs to be updated to at least 14 now...)
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...y-in-12-comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder if there will be a means for Monica to go back in time and rescue/resurrect her mother? Since her 616 mom was more or less killed off-screen with the throwaway line in Warren Ellis's Nextwave series, it kind of hobbled what could be done with that character. Of course, the 616 Maria up until this point was more of a traditional housewife (in her ultra-rare appearances) and not an ex-fighter pilot.
    I guess we'll see what happens, if anything. Maybe a distant familial connection to Bessie Coleman?
    https://www.npr.org/2022/08/23/11189...s-brave-bessie
    Her mother is NOT dead in 616. Monica and the other members of Nextwave had their minds and memories tampered with by Beyond Corp during the entire NEXTWAVE period -- that is why there are several references in that series which do not fit with continuity, or cases of the characters behaving out of character. This was explained in later appearances, most notably in Ewing's MIGHTY AVENGERS series.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Same opinion here, agreed!!!

I guess its because of her mum's nickname in the air force (in the MCU) so from that pov, it makes sense but i preferred the dreads, prefered, the previous costume and i very much miss the long coat.

Anyhow, i hope Eve.Ewing does NOT ignore the Adica Ramshear romance..
    They might not ignore her relationship with Adam, but they may very well say that it has ended offscreen. When was the last time they appeared regularly in a book together?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Her mother is NOT dead in 616. Monica and the other members of Nextwave had their minds and memories tampered with by Beyond Corp during the entire NEXTWAVE period -- that is why there are several references in that series which do not fit with continuity, or cases of the characters behaving out of character. This was explained in later appearances, most notably in Ewing's MIGHTY AVENGERS series.
    So what Beyond did to Ben Reilly was nothing new then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    They might not ignore her relationship with Adam, but they may very well say that it has ended offscreen. When was the last time they appeared regularly in a book together?
    Monica wearing a vest similar to his in THUNDERBOLTS would lead me to believe it is more like they are together offscreen...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Monica wearing a vest similar to his in THUNDERBOLTS would lead me to believe it is more like they are together offscreen...
    I'll miss this look.