Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Whomp whomp whomp Dark Ages #5. She's doesn't even have a cameo. Lol. Well at least she's on the variant cover. It's something, beggy choosers an such.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post
    Whomp whomp whomp Dark Ages #5. She's doesn't even have a cameo. Lol. Well at least she's on the variant cover. It's something, beggy choosers an such.
    Yeah, it was just a "black history month" variant cover -- those sort of themed variants more often than not have nothing to do with the events of the story or even the cast of the book. At least we get a nice picture of Monica out of it though.

For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

TBOLTS2022004_Caselli_Var.jpg
    Thunderbolts variant by Stefano Caselli.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Astonishing Member

Monica should retake the Captain Marvel mantle from Carol Danvers...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

She had a really good appearance in the back-up story in DD Omega. Looking forward to Thunderbolts.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why? In-universe, Monica hadn't even heard of Mar-Vell when she took the name (only found out when she joined the Avengers, causing things to be awkward when she first met Carol). It's why she ditched it in the first place when Genis-Vell claimed it (though Genis would later steal her next codename as well, for which he was the one in the wrong). Carol took the Captain Marvel name in tribute to Mar-Vell.

Monica's current name Spectrum works fine.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I'd be fine with that. I fell in love with Monica as Captain Marvel, and I think that fact that she had no connection with Mar-Vell, whom I always loved, was just a plus for me. The way I see it, it paid homage without the risk of tarnishing the original character, or diminishing him. Don't see it happening, though. Marvel has invested too much in Carol as "Marvel's Wonder Woman", Captain Marvel (she carries the company's name, after all).

Peace

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'd be fine with that. I fell in love with Monica as Captain Marvel, and I think that fact that she had no connection with Mar-Vell, whom I always loved, was just a plus for me. The way I see it, it paid homage without the risk of tarnishing the original character, or diminishing him. Don't see it happening, though. Marvel has invested too much in Carol as "Marvel's Wonder Woman", Captain Marvel (she carries the company's name, after all).

Peace
    I agree. I don't see Marvel restoring the name to Monica. They'll stick with Spectrum until a better name comes along or Monica is somehow wildly reimagined.

The Spectrum name does work, though. We just need Marvel to build her back up to where she was as potentially a franchise character in her own right. Give Monica a limited series here and there to promote her. Return her to the Avengers as a foundational member and central figure. Or something like that. To my mind, Monica doesn't have to be Marvel's "Wonder Woman," as they clearly intend that spot for Carol. But Monica can still be a phenomenal character and perhaps become even more popular than Captain Marvel ever was.

I don't see why Monica and Carol (and Genis, and Phyla) couldn't all be Captain Marvel.
    It's a common thing in current Marvel comics, after all: Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hawkeye.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I question Monica's seemingly superstring POW in CAPTAIN MARVEL #37.

Did she maintain/recover some of her flying brick-ness from when her powers were fluctuating back in the one-shot days?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I think MCU is setting up Monica to be next Captain Marvel. Why else would they call the next movie "The Marvels"? It seems a little bit soon though to give the mantle to Monica since we have barely seem Carol in MCU.

In MCU, The Male characters are giving their mantle to female characters so I do think it would be cool if Carol gave her Mantle to a male character like Gen Vell instead of Monica or Kamala.

Anyway Most Carol comic fans want her to be called Ms Marvel but Marvel was desperate to trademark Captain Marvel and used Carol. And its not like Carol directly took the title from Monica.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I question Monica's seemingly superstring POW in CAPTAIN MARVEL #37. Did she maintain/recover some of her flying brick-ness from when her powers were fluctuating back in the one-shot days?
    I'm not sure when CM #37 takes place, but it was established in Mighty Avengers that Monica was capable of converting her body into a "hard light" photon form that not only approximates durability, but superhuman strength. She soloed and strong-armed a Beyonder-like being at the end of that run.

Overall, under Ewing's pen Monica enjoyed a significant boost in power courtesy of Blue Marvel tweaking her at the subatomic level. She became the equivalent of an immortal being comprised of electromagnetic energy. She would, however, lose that top tier power level at the end of Avengers: No Road Home in order to be "normal."

Presumably, Monica still retains the ability to change into a hard light form, although I suspect it's nowhere near her peak potential. She probably has enough strength and durability in that form to easily concuss criminals and critters. After all, even before Blue Marvel altered her form, she was able to release energies powerful enough to jolt Zeus. Imagine that kind of energy, only as hard light.

HeroesCON Captain Marvel era art piece by Brian Stelfreeze, who points out that it's Monica's 40th anniversary.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...34152154747439

Last edited by Thirteen; 06-27-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    HeroesCON Captain Marvel era art piece by Brian Stelfreeze, who points out that it's Monica's 40th anniversary.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...34152154747439

Really beautiful work. Hard to believe that I've been a fan of Monica for 40 years. Time flies.