Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It can when it comes down to usage.

For some ODD reason when it comes to black characters it's Highlander time or the rule of three.

As pointed earlier there are folks who can NOT stand black characters being shown as any ways competent and powerful. See the Black Panther book the past 7 years.

That is how you get the "too powerful" nonsense.

If we were to JUST go on power levels and skills-

Falcon, Storm, Synch, Flint, Monica, and Prodigy- could rule the world.
    Hey, now... Let's not forget Monet

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Maybe nothing, maybe an epiphany:

In Avengers: No Road Home, Monica was able to create illusions using light that were convincing enough to fool one of the most powerful and perceptible gods (Nyx). But what if they weren't just tricks of light? Who else has powers of illusion creation to that degree -- so powerful that they can fool even a God Emperor? Maybe Monica wasn't merely manipulating photons? Could that feat have been Ewing's subtle clue as to Monica's true origin? Could that have been the first time that we saw Monica tap into her Beyonder heritage?!!?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I have to say...

While I will be reading it because I do like SW, I'm a bit miffed they're giving Wanda an ongoing but Monica is only deserving of a mini/LS.
    I get that Scarlet Witch is fresh off the TV series and the Dr. Strange movie but I would argue that given her history Monica Rambeau is just as deserving of an ongoing and the attention.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I have to say...

While I will be reading it because I do like SW, I'm a bit miffed they're giving Wanda an ongoing but Monica is only deserving of a mini/LS.
    I get that Scarlet Witch is fresh off the TV series and the Dr. Strange movie but I would argue that given her history Monica Rambeau is just as deserving of an ongoing and the attention.
    Remember you are dealing with a market that LOVES to have issues with black female lead books. Let alone ALL POC lead books.

For every 5 folks who get excited about the book you got 20 who hate it exists.

For every 5 folks who get excited about the book, you got 2 who will actually BUY the book.

Folks have to stop screaming for these books and then do the greatest gymnastic routines to NOT support. At least try issue one.

I rather Monica get a graphic novel. Where we can bypass the growing toxic comic book store market.

Astonishing Member

If the mini does well, Monica could potentially get an ongoing later. This is the first time Monica has ever had her own solo mini.

Wanda had a couple of miniseries (one truly solo and two co-starring Vision) before she ever got her first ongoing -- and she had been around longer and more consistently than Monica. Janet Van Dyne has been around longer than both of them and is also getting her first ever solo mini coming up, and has never had her own ongoing. I don't think its really any slight against Monica specifically that Wanda got an ongoing now and she didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I have to say...

we have like 4590 ongoings starring white men I think we have room for both Wanda and Monica to have ongoings without pitting the characters against each other

With The Marvels coming up, I hope we'll see plenty of Monica content .

Kamala's in the miniseries zone too. Hopefully both will get ongoings next year, closer to the movie's release.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    we have like 4590 ongoings starring white men I think we have room for both Wanda and Monica to have ongoings without pitting the characters against each other
    Agreed. There is a market for stories featuring Monica and others. Marvel just needs to commit to the idea in a meaningful way.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Re-reading NEXTWave and enjoying it immensely. THAT's the Monica Rambeau I enjoy reading!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Re-reading NEXTWave and enjoying it immensely. THAT's the Monica Rambeau I enjoy reading!
    Yeah, despite *everyone* in that series being written deliciously over-the-top (to the point of being kind of OOC, compared to a more serious story), it was a great run, and Monica had some fun moments.

And... 'the Captain' just never broke out. We've seen Machine Man, Elsa Bloodstone, Boom-Boom and Monica post-Nextwave, but he's just 'pfft', back into the ether.

Mighty Member

Sooo Thunderbolts #2 is out.... Any update/ spoiler on our Empress of light

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, despite *everyone* in that series being written deliciously over-the-top (to the point of being kind of OOC, compared to a more serious story), it was a great run, and Monica had some fun moments.
    I get the comedy of it, but I could never cotton to the pivot of characterizing Monica as perpetually furrow-browed and angry "Auntie Monica". It leaned too much into stereotypes that the character was created to be the antithesis of.

Speaking of comedy...
    THE MARVELS sounds like it's gearing up to be a rollicking cosmic romp from the description of the trailer footage released.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I get the comedy of it, but I could never cotton to the pivot of characterizing Monica as perpetually furrow-browed and angry "Auntie Monica". It leaned too much into stereotypes that the character was created to be the antithesis of.

Speaking of comedy...
    THE MARVELS sounds like it's gearing up to be a rollicking cosmic romp from the description of the trailer footage released.
    Ellis is kind of a racist. He killed off Synch in Gen X bc he thought that well adjusted black people were a myth, so I take his writing of Monica with a massive chunk of salt.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah