Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

She was Captain Marvel when I was a child, and she'll always be Captain Marvel to me. And I loved that she was from my home state.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Awsome!

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    That is fabulous-- thanks for sharing it here!

I'd love to see Zircher get to draw Monica in a story at some point. To the best of my recollection he's only done so once, in AVENGERS vol.3 #55, and he didn't get a chance to draw her in action there since it was a downtime issue, tying up the lose ends from the epic arc that had just concluded.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    No one knows. Blue Marvel didn't appear in any comic as far as I know in all of 2021.

Blue marvel has a minor appearance in Last Annihilation: Wakanda Vol 1 1.
    Release Date September 15, 2021.

Monica is on Dark Reign #5 variant cover and then Marvel voices and Capt Marvel #36. Anybody know if she is showing elsewhere. I hope she makes it in the Reckoning War. ✌️

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Blue marvel has a minor appearance in Last Annihilation: Wakanda Vol 1 1.
    Release Date September 15, 2021.
    Good catch. Did he say/do anything, or was it just a quick one panel cameo appearance?

Astonishing Member

Good catch. Did he say/do anything, or was it just a quick one panel cameo appearance?
    He didn't really appear in the story. It was a one-panel flashback to T'Challa's time with the Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    She was Captain Marvel when I was a child, and she'll always be Captain Marvel to me. And I loved that she was from my home state.
    What I liked about seeing Monica that first time was thinking to myself that she was her own original character. Even though she was given the Captain Marvel name, she wasn't borrowing his mantle in any way; they weren't connected. She was her own otherwise unique character, who would have her own adventures and her own legacy. No one would ever be able to say that she was "the black version" of an original character.

That matters to me, because when I look at DC's poster celebrating Black History Month, all you see mostly are black versions of white characters. It's just disheartening and disturbing to me on so many levels that anyone would want to celebrate that phenomenon, let alone promote it as a sign of progress in the industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

What I liked about seeing Monica that first time was thinking to myself that she was her own original character. Even though she was given the Captain Marvel name, she wasn't borrowing his mantle in any way; they weren't connected. She was her own otherwise unique character, who would have her own adventures and her own legacy. No one would ever be able to say that she was "the black version" of an original character.
    I felt very much the same way.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    He didn't really appear in the story. It was a one-panel flashback to T'Challa's time with the Ultimates.
    Ahh, thanks.

In that case, I guess my earlier statement remains valid. Unfortunately. But maybe someone at Marvel will take a minute to update us on Monica and Adam. This year. Or at least in what's left of my lifetime.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post
    Monica is on Dark Reign #5 variant cover and then Marvel voices and Capt Marvel #36. Anybody know if she is showing elsewhere. I hope she makes it in the Reckoning War. ✌️
    Monica is appearing in the current arc of CAPTAIN MARVEL and will be in at least the next two issues. She is also making recurring appearances in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN during the "Beyond" arc and has her own spotlight issue coming up there.

No word on her showing up in the Reckoning War as of yet, but its certainly possible she might at least get a cameo along the way.

Astonishing Member

That matters to me, because when I look at DC's poster celebrating Black History Month, all you see mostly are black versions of white characters. It's just disheartening and disturbing to me on so many levels that anyone would want to celebrate that phenomenon, let alone promote it as a sign of progress in the industry.
    Absolutely it is important to have black characters (as well as women characters, LGBT, and another POC characters) who are their own distinct heroes and not just a copy of someone else. But I think those black versions of existing heroes are also important for representation from another angle. I think the FALCON & WINTER SOLIDER Disney+ series illustrated that point, by showing how important a message it was that a black person could be Captain America.

In Monica's case, she got to show that a black woman could be Captain Marvel--without the benefit of having any pre-existing connection to the original. Also the first person of colour to be elected Avengers leader--and only the second woman to hold that post!

That said, as you say, its a bit sad to see just how many of the DC black heroes shown there are "black version of" characters. The Green Lantern ones aren't so bad since there is a whole Corps of them. But even leaving them aside there are a lot of "black so-and-so" characters there. I guess part of that is that DC tends to do more legacy characters than Marvel has overall, as well as more 'families' of characters (although Marvel has started doing more of that in recent years with the Spider-Verse, and last year's Captain America network, etc).

Monica needs a video game presence. You could do a lot with her energy powers for stunts.

Extraordinary Member

I should have said blue marvel's 2021 appearance was a flashback to make it more clear.
    It is counted as a appearance(minor) in one book in 2021 but it would be what marvel wiki calls a recap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Monica needs a video game presence. You could do a lot with her energy powers for stunts.
    She is on Marvel Future Fight for android and IOS.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah