Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The starburst was an original Monica CM emblem. This is is just a very simplified version using the positive and negative space of her costume. The vest adds nothing to the design but...enh.
    Apart from Clint and Monica, I have thoughts on the costumes for the others but...I'll keep them to myself as this is already pretty much a done deal and it makes no sense for me to bitch and moan about something that will not change.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The starburst was an original Monica CM emblem. This is is just a very simplified version using the positive and negative space of her costume. The vest adds nothing to the design but...enh.
    Apart from Clint and Monica, I have thoughts on the costumes for the others but...I'll keep them to myself as this is already pretty much a done deal and it makes no sense for me to bitch and moan about something that will not change.
    Nevertheless, I think it would be great to hear your input. A healthy exchange of ideas is always welcome. I don't think anyone has the notion that anything said in this forum will influence or change Marvel's grand design. But it's good grist for the community mill.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I don't quite understand why they have to give a character who can't get cold a trench coat or a vest. Her old wings, a mini cape, a cloak-shawl, or nothing at all would have been my preferred choices.

Also, the Nova helmet-like insignia integrated into her star symbol is mildly annoying. (Come on, Marvel artists, get to work and create a unique symbol for Monica!) It's almost like they were tempted to show Monica's cleavage, but thought better of it. I probably would have gone with the window, but I get why they didn't.

All in all, though, it's not the worst costume that I've ever seen.
    I'm not offended at Monica with cleavage (drawn by Frank Cho? Adam Hughes? va-voom!), but I can see why editorial might hedge-- instant comparisons to Power Girl, possible accusations of trying to sexualize a character that was "never" an official sex-symbol (compared to She Hulk, Wonder Woman, Storm, Rogue, or Carol's days as Ms. Marvel). There would be accusations that for someone of Monica's presumed age (mid-late 30s?) that it would be "beneath her" to have clothing like that; lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm not offended at Monica with cleavage (drawn by Frank Cho? Adam Hughes? va-voom!), but I can see why editorial might hedge-- instant comparisons to Power Girl, possible accusations of trying to sexualize a character that was "never" an official sex-symbol (compared to She Hulk, Wonder Woman, Storm, Rogue, or Carol's days as Ms. Marvel). There would be accusations that for someone of Monica's presumed age (mid-late 30s?) that it would be "beneath her" to have clothing like that; lol.
    No doubt, largely due to past sins and hypersexualized representations, Marvel probably would sidestep any current depictions that could be construed as objectification.

But there are also potential dangers in promoting a character who doesn't enjoy the freedom to wear whatever she wants...especially when other female characters have embodied that feminist ideal since the 1960s. I'm old enough to remember when Jean Grey's green plunging V-cut miniskirt triggered a minor kerfuffle or two. But it was a profile in courage for Marvel to depict her so. It went deeper than just Jean showing her unique individuality, or that she had matured and outgrown Xavier's old blue and gold grade school uniform.

...trying to sexualize a character that was "never" an official sex-symbol....
    Reminds me of the first time that Peter Parker saw Monica. He has a great eye for attractive women, if his dating history is any indication at all. I sometimes wonder why Monica never become a sex symbol, given her introduction.

Has any other hero (aside from Blue Marvel) ever seriously asked Monica out on a date?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Invincible Member

Has any other hero (aside from Blue Marvel) ever seriously asked Monica out on a date?
    She dated Brother Voodoo briefly.

Forgot to mention how much I like the thicker braids that the artist gave Monica in Thunderbolts. Nothing against thin braids/extensions, or the dreads that characters like the new Warbird sports, but there's just something about thick braids and twists. Especially the short variety. (Chef's kiss.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    She dated Brother Voodoo briefly.
    Also Jim Rhodes has hit on her a couple of times. There were hints of some sort of flirtation or something between Monica and T'Challa in a previous BLACK PANTHER run, which came out of nowhere. She's also had some flirtatious comments from guys like Starfox and Hercules, but nothing seriously coming on to her.

Starfox's powers can force you to love him. And Herc just sleeps around. No surprise that their romantic overtures were one-sided.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

No doubt, largely due to past sins and hypersexualized representations, Marvel probably would sidestep any current depictions that could be construed as objectification.

But there are also potential dangers in promoting a character who doesn't enjoy the freedom to wear whatever she wants...especially when other female characters have embodied that feminist ideal since the 1960s. I'm old enough to remember when Jean Grey's green plunging V-cut miniskirt triggered a minor kerfuffle or two. But it was a profile in courage for Marvel to depict her so. It went deeper than just Jean showing her unique individuality, or that she had matured and outgrown Xavier's old blue and gold grade school uniform.

Reminds me of the first time that Peter Parker saw Monica. He has a great eye for attractive women, if his dating history is any indication at all. I sometimes wonder why Monica never become a sex symbol, given her introduction.
    Ah.. I seem to remember in her debut appearance, there was an entire sequence where Monica was wearing a bikini. (legitimately, it was plot related). As for why Monica didn't take off as a lady hero who could also be sexy, I don't know. Whether it was a generic sense of 1980s-era conservatism or what, who knows (Pam Grier's profile took a drastic dip during the 80s; Halle Berry didn't become a phenom until the 90s; you'd be hard pressed in the 80s for naming black female mainstream sex symbol actresses who weren't already singers-- there were plenty of singers of course]), but Monica seemingly was never in that sort of outfit again (I don't recall her ever being part of the "swimsuit specials" Marvel made); nothing I've seen, anyway. Her general disappearance from comics from circa 1995 forward (after being "replaced" by Genis-Vell) didn't help things, either. (A team-up mini or one-shot with Monica and Storm also never happened back then, which I felt should have).
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 02-13-2022 at 10:24 AM.

It took me way too long to find our 2022 thread. Any upcoming book appearances for Ms. Rambeau?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Monica is now a Thunderbolt.
    The blue vest and faux belt buckle are hateful. I like what they're trying to do in keeping with Monica's unique brand of superhero-casual, but this is so ugly.
    Last edited by Baby_Hater666; 02-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    The blue vest and faux belt buckle are hateful. I like what they're trying to do in keeping with Monica's unique brand of superhero-casual, but this is so ugly.
    Marvel's way of letting everyone know that Blue Marvel is still in the picture, even if he hasn't exactly appeared anywhere in years. Honestly, I never cared for that vest or that shade of blue for BM, let alone on Monica, but let's just roll with it. Given how some current costumes look, this thing could have easily turned out far worse.

Well, at least it's something.

Glad she'll be teaming up with MAC again.

clean.jpg
    She's on a variant cover and is appearing in her own story for Marvel's Voices.

https://youtu.be/4no-WOxG5cs

The Thunderbolts suit resembles Alex Ross' unused design for Monica. I'm anti-vest. Why bulk up a character who by definition should be the sleekest of them all this side of the Silver Surfer?

Also props to Mama Maria Rambeau, a variant of whom appears to make an appearance in the trailer for DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS as a MARVEL variant...or is it Monica with shorter hair?
    https://movieweb.com/glowing-figure-...dness-trailer/
    Last edited by Thirteen; 06-02-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.