Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Spectrum is no more. Eve L Ewing is writing a new mini starring Monica.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/seco...series-photon/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Monica Rambeau: Photon #1 coming December 2022: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/08/23/mo...december-2022/

Edit: Digifiend was faster

I'm happy that after Genis, Monica will also get a mini!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not thrilled with the name change but I absolutely love Monica so I will happily be getting this series. Also gotta say that I like the new costume.

Surprised they're changing her name yet again. I wonder if it's the one the MCU is using?

Either way, this sounds really cool. Monica finally has a cool costume without the weird jackets and trenchcoats.
    I'm excited for her to have her own story again. I feel since they paired her with Blue Marvel, most of her appearances had to do with him.

Incredible Member

Well, it at least looks like her best costume ever by some margin.

The basic problem with her as a protagonist has always been a powerset that is nice on paper, but is hopelessly OP unless you implicitly or explicitly nerf her into the ground. (Like any high-level speedster, such as the Flash, she should be able to solve most problems before they start - and this is before you consider the other stuff she can do). Looks like EE's answer to that is to embrace it and go Full Cosmic, so we'll see how that goes - especially since it could make her even harder to use in Earth-based stories.
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 08-23-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Surprised they're changing her name yet again. I wonder if it's the one the MCU is using?
    I assume so, as I see no other reason to change it. Spectrum was a perfectly fine name that nobody else is using.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Photon was the nickname her mother had in the films, so it's been pretty clear that's the moniker they're going to have Monica go by in the next Captain Marvel movie.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I kind of preferred Spectrum.

I'm glad Monica's getting a new book...her new costume looks kind of generic to me, but okay. I miss the jacket and dreads.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Not thrilled with the name change but I absolutely love Monica so I will happily be getting this series. Also gotta say that I like the new costume.
    I feel the same, on both counts.

Peace

Ultimate Member

I assume so, as I see no other reason to change it. Spectrum was a perfectly fine name that nobody else is using.
    Except a cable company.

Mighty Member

I love the costume simple and sleek.

Also not too thrilled about the name change, I also preferred Spectrum but I'm not surprised since it looks like the name she would be going by in the MCU.

Glad to see Eve L Ewing is still writing for Marvel enjoyed her work on Ironheart, so I am looking forward to seeing what has in store for Monica, taking her in a cosmic direction is a good start.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I prefer Spectrum or Captain Marvel over Photon, but whatever. Marvel just can't seem to get out of its own way; properly correct its wrongs; or just simply leave well enough alone.

But I am happy that they're featuring Monica as a cosmic power. But December seems a lifetime away. Hope I make it.

She's one of my favorites, very excited for her to get (overdue) solo series.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

wow--digifiend speaks for me, too: "Not thrilled with the name change but I absolutely love Monica so I will happily be getting this series. Also gotta say that I like the new costume."
    I still think they should go with simply her great last name: to me, Rambeau sounds like both the spectrum-like rainbow and at the same time, like the very tough-warrior type rambo.
    But then, to me, her greatest role so far was taking charge of the Next Wave. Pardon me, I meant THE NEXT WAVE!!! This costume and a trench coat? Yeah, it'd work for me.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member

Should have stuck with Spectrum.