Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Changes Are Made To The Green Lantern Mythos Come New 52?

The New Fifty Two drastically changed the face of the DC Universe, decades of history wiped away, entire characters ceasing to exist.

However, I've heard that Green Lantern was a franchise that largely remained intact, with the same writers returning for the first two years.

Is this true? Do the relaunched Green Lantern books feel like a direct continuation of the Pre-Flashpoint GL line?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The only thing I can recall that was changed was Guy and John’s origins/beginnings. Guy became a cop and John got a new origin somewhere in Secret Origins. They were no longer Hal’s replacement, I think. HOWEVER, John’s new origin wasn’t really referenced anywhere (I don’t think any writer paid attention to that New 52 Secret Origins book). Also his past with Katma gets brought up frequently which contradicts his new origin.

But yeah it felt like a continuation because it basically was.

I don't remember now who, but I think someone on this forum had made a point about how only Batman and Green Lantern franchises have survived various Crisis events and relaunches without getting rebooted.

Batman wasn't entirely intact. Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown were erased, reintroduced a few years later. And Tim Drake had his origin changed. Damian also required a rapid age up as it was no longer possible for him to be 10 years old when Batman had only been active for five years instead of 15. All of these changes have since been reverted.

Batman and GL were definitely less altered than the rest of the DC universe though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't remember now who, but I think someone on this forum had made a point about how only Batman and Green Lantern franchises have survived various Crisis events and relaunches without getting rebooted.
    The power of peak Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison.

Did Johns always intend to introduce concepts and characters like the Third Army, Simon Baz, Sinestro returning as a Green Lantern, or were those changes specifically created with the New Fifty Two in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Did Johns always intend to introduce concepts and characters like the Third Army, Simon Baz, Sinestro returning as a Green Lantern, or were those changes specifically created with the New Fifty Two in mind?
    Hard to tell. He ended the Pre-Flashpoint story with Sinestro becoming a GL so I assume that was always planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The New Fifty Two drastically changed the face of the DC Universe, decades of history wiped away, entire characters ceasing to exist.

However, I've heard that Green Lantern was a franchise that largely remained intact, with the same writers returning for the first two years.

Is this true? Do the relaunched Green Lantern books feel like a direct continuation of the Pre-Flashpoint GL line?
    The present day status quo of the GL books remained largely untouched (plus-or-minus a few things), yeah. Benefits of being Geoff Johns, I guess.

Under the hood, besides the previously mentioned retcons to John and Guy's origins (and who know if those have stuck), there were probably a big pile of retcons to GL history that would have been necessary to make the revised timeline "work" (mostly arcane stuff about various crossover events that got wiped out) but they were wisely never mentioned, so, yay.

And now that most of the post-Crisis DCU has been shoveled back into continuity, it doesn't matter anyway

The 3 original Green Lantern writers, Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi, and Tony Bedard all ended their tenure on their respective titles on issue 20.

Is there a story there? Did those three writers come to an agreement to end their runs at issue 20 or were Bedard or Tomasi kicked off the book by editorial?

To me they always looked like Geoff's sidekicks when it comes to GL franchise so I didn't find it suspicious that they left when Johns left.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    The present day status quo of the GL books remained largely untouched (plus-or-minus a few things), yeah. Benefits of being Geoff Johns, I guess.

Under the hood, besides the previously mentioned retcons to John and Guy's origins (and who know if those have stuck), there were probably a big pile of retcons to GL history that would have been necessary to make the revised timeline "work" (mostly arcane stuff about various crossover events that got wiped out) but they were wisely never mentioned, so, yay.

And now that most of the post-Crisis DCU has been shoveled back into continuity, it doesn't matter anyway
    Those origin changes appear to have been reverted. Katma actually showed up in this week's GL, so they're definitely treating pre-Flashpoint stories as having happened.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To me they always looked like Geoff's sidekicks when it comes to GL franchise so I didn't find it suspicious that they left when Johns left.
    Tomasi's always seemed to have a good working relationship with Johns.