Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I just mainly get annoyed at those who arent weather resistant, not changing costumes when in cold weather. YJ kept the costumes and gave them winter options. If Black Canary is somewhere cold, her being in her normal costume is......weird. I overlook at lot because it is a fantastical world but let them wear something warm.
    Zatanna at least casts heat spells .

I hate sexy costumes when there's no purpose for it beyond "gurlz is hawt." If it makes sense for the character, then great. Starfire's gonna be half naked because that's who Kori is, and good for her being proud of what X'hal gave her. But if it's just a male gaze thing I find it creepy as hell.

Likewise, I dislike characters without defensive abilities wearing simple spandex costumes, or worse, showing bare skin. I don't need a powerless vigilante's costume to be some Tony Stark level nuke-proof battlesuit, but at least some quality kevlar, drawn as if it had some weight to it and wasn't just painted on, yknow? Nothing too fancy or involved, we're not ashamed of our costumes here, but we want them to make some sense and look like what they are.

More heroes should have pouches, but only if they actually use the things in them. First aid kits, cell phones, flares, food, whatever, either for the hero or for the people they help. Remarkable how unprepared some heroes are.

Not changing clothes for extreme environments annoys me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Jackets on flying characters is cool. But mostly on female characters. Captain Marvel would look cool with one. Donna would too.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hate sexy costumes when there's no purpose for it beyond "gurlz is hawt." If it makes sense for the character, then great. Starfire's gonna be half naked because that's who Kori is, and good for her being proud of what X'hal gave her. But if it's just a male gaze thing I find it creepy as hell.
    It's been stated that because of her Tamaranean Physiology, Kori gains rejuvenating energy from ultraviolet radiation through skin absorption...

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-17-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]It's been stated that because of her Tamaranean Physiology, Kori gains rejuvenating energy from ultraviolet radiation through skin absorption...
    If that's the case, why don't we have more examples of Superman sun bathing in an erotic way.

I think with Kory, 'she is naked to absorb more solar power' is a poor argument. Kory and her people are established to be more open about their emotions and their sexuality thus both men and women on Tamaran wear little clothing. I don't mind Kory wearing more revealing clothing than your average superheroine because it's part of her character to dress like that plus she has super powers and doesn't need armor.

There are ways you can do the costume without fetishizing it:

Credits: Stjepan Sejic

It's been stated that because of her Tamaranean Physiology, Kori gains rejuvenating energy from ultraviolet radiation through skin absorption...

That's a bad explanation that ignores her personality.

She's from a planet that might as well be called "Fanservice planet", they definitely aren't as bitchy about sexuality as humans, so she doesn't really care about showing off her skin, trying to say that she exposes herself to absorb sunlight is a classic bad explanation to try to justify fanservice, something that Kojima tried to do with Quiet in Metal Gear Solid V and was mocked for it lol.

So yeah, just say she doesn't mind showing off, that says more about her than trying to make a silly "She's naked to absorb sunlight" excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I mean, Starfire is a hedonist...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Capes. If there’s a use for them like gliding or something then fine. Otherwise , get rid of them.

Why is everything skintight? As much as characters fight, I’d think they’d want something baggy to allow movement.

Do they have to always wear a costume? I’d like to see characters in action wearing street clothes more.
    Superman without a cape? Nah. It's bad enough when there's no "S" on the back of the cape, but no cape at all? I can't do it! Plus sometimes capes just make some superheroes look cool, especially if they are drawn in flight.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Superman without a cape? Nah. It's bad enough when there's no "S" on the back of the cape, but no cape at all? I can't do it! Plus sometimes capes just make some superheroes look cool, especially if they are drawn in flight.
    Just removing the red trunks alone was a big controversy, but removing the cape? Holy **** that'd start a shitstorm lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There are far too many hero designs right now that look like they're ashamed to be hero designs. Far too many characters wear realistic tactical costumes.

I want my superheroes to look like superheroes gosh-darn-it! I WANT domino masks, pirate books, tights, capes, those gloves that really flare out, and trunks.
    This type of costume is nowhere near as common these days as traditional superhero outfits.

Then again, I've always found the accusation of something being "ashamed to be superheroes" to be a baseless criticism when ever it is used. Superhero designs have always evolved and changed with the times.

And yet, Superman doesn't need to wear a speedo when he uses sunlight to recharge.

Most of my thoughts have been covered but I hate costumes that feel dated.

I know they have their fanbases but trunks feel aged. A Bruce and Clark born in what would now be the late 80s wouldn't still be wearing those things.

Cassie Sandsmark's latest costume looks like a Disney Channel outfit from the early aughts and makes her look like she's 12.

I don't think fishnets makes that much sense in 2021, but it did back in 2016 when Canary had her solo. And, even if sometimes I have to suspend disbelief to see BC's costume as making sense for a hand-to-hand fighter at the very least it's her trademark.

I think one of the earlier posts on here mentioned some heroes don't have a trademark. And, someone like Duke Thomas has a costume that comes across as a 90s experiment rather than something that is fitting for them on a holistic level.

Also, I find it unrealistic for certain heroes to only have one costume especially when you consider climates or that some are bound to get dirtier than others. Canary having an interchangeable wardrobe makes sense for someone fighting in fishnets and leather. Where someone like Vixen would probably have more than one costume because it fits her character. I kind of like costumes being switched around for occasion and hygiene reasons.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Drastic and constant costume change is usually a sign that a character isn't working on some level. Truly iconic characters have certain elements of their costume that stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Jackets on flying characters is cool. But mostly on female characters. Captain Marvel would look cool with one. Donna would too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

Conner Kent wears jackets like a boss, superman wears his cape like one
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

BANNED

TBH, looking at the Avengers and X-Men, by and large, I think Marvel does a good job of updating their characters while remaining true to them. Sure there are misses, but you can expect that they'll eventually be corrected. As a whole, their characters look modern enough to fit the psychology of the time period.