Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Things about superhero costume design that annoy you.

1. Flying superheroes that wear dresses. People say the use of panty shots in anime is exploitative fan services but that’s exactly what it would look like if an airborne character was soaring around in a mini skirt. Pure ridiculous.

2. Invulnerable characters wearing armor. Seems kind of redundant doesn’t it? Unless it’s some kind of special armor that defends against stuff they aren’t invulnerable to.

3. Furry characters wearing clothing. Wouldn’t they be incredibly warm and uncomfortable all the time. It’s like a dog with long hair being put in a sweater by its human.

4. Non invulnerable characters wearing skimpy outfits. Unless your super fast like the Flash or have some other power that can protect you, this is silly:

5. My number one costume gripe is female character running around in high heals.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. Flying superheroes that wear dresses. People say the use of panty shots in anime is exploitative fan services but that’s exactly what it would look like if an airborne character was soaring around in a mini skirt. Pure ridiculous.

2. Invulnerable characters wearing armor. Seems kind of redundant doesn’t it? Unless it’s some kind of special armor that defends against stuff they aren’t invulnerable to.

3. Furry characters wearing clothing. Wouldn’t they be incredibly warm and uncomfortable all the time. It’s like a dog with long hair being put in a sweater by its human.

4. Non invulnerable characters wearing skimpy outfits. Unless your super fast like the Flash or have some other power that can protect you, this is silly:

5. My number one costume gripe is female character running around in high heals.
    I agree with all the above. Plus.
    Character whose powers lack any ffoensive capability, refusing to use even non lethal weapons, even if in superhero setting they should abound. Expecially if your power is winged flight, where humans got really good at killing birds even by accident.
    Also, I am very partial on tech devices that look alot like real natural thing(like feathers). I do not hate it but when overly detailed make me wonder the logic behind it.
    Also since we are here, there is infamous saitam gloves paradox. Superstrong characters wearing gloves...what those gloves are made of for not tearing to shreds after some solid punches?

the main thing I actually hate is a aestethically/thematically dissonant design. there's a lot that can be wrong with a design but I feel in superhero fiction the worst design offense is a suit that doesn't properly synergize with their hero identity and their skill set. that's what defines these characters in this genre; their name, their look, and their powers, then the character emerges out of that. example, like the OP said, invulnerable or invincible characters wearing protective armor. the biggest offender is Cully Hamner's design for Duke Thomas as The Signal. other than his suit being yellow (his signature color) Duke's suit says nothing about him other than "he belongs to the Batman"; doesn't communicate anything about Duke has a character at a glance. he's solar based metahuman hero yet he's covered from literal head to toe in bats. they couldn't even give him his own logo or his variation on the bat logo, even though (if we're being honest) no character should be wearing a logo that doesn't correlate to their name or hero identity. imagine if Black Lightning was running around with a Superman logo. it would look silly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Not making a joke or picking a fight, but I hate the "trunks." Coloring technology has evolved beyond the need, and it's dated at best.

Heels in combat is a close 2nd.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Costumes today just don't have enough pouches. Every hero should be required to have at least one belt of pouches.
    Assassinate Putin!

Barbara Gordon's tiny domino mask awakened a rage in me that I previously didn't know existed:

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Barbara Gordon's tiny domino mask awakened a rage in me that I previously didn't know existed:

But she's the Dominoed Daredoll! (actual tagline used to describe her in the seventies)
    Assassinate Putin!

I only like it in the sense of seeing more of her hair/face.

The backpack is what broke it for me.

Usually domino masks don't bother me but it's when they have exposed eyes/no eye slits that breaks them for me.

There are far too many hero designs right now that look like they're ashamed to be hero designs. Far too many characters wear realistic tactical costumes.

I want my superheroes to look like superheroes gosh-darn-it! I WANT domino masks, pirate books, tights, capes, those gloves that really flare out, and trunks.

^^^Excellent choice.
    One of the best things George Perez did when he revamped Wonder Woman after Cridis was get rid of the heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Character whose powers lack any ffoensive capability, refusing to use even non lethal weapons, made of for not tearing to shreds
    ^^^Totally.
    There are SO many characters that’d benefit from simply arming themselves adequately.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

All of this, but to expand on #5, inappropriate or no footwear.

I'm thinking Wonder Woman's and Wonder Girl's gladiator sandal things, or Aquaman and Naomi being barefoot. Really?

Last edited by CellarDweller; 01-17-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Capes. If there’s a use for them like gliding or something then fine. Otherwise , get rid of them.

Why is everything skintight? As much as characters fight, I’d think they’d want something baggy to allow movement.

Do they have to always wear a costume? I’d like to see characters in action wearing street clothes more.

It's pretty rare that we get Superheroine panty shots in the comics. At least it's more unique than everyone wearing skintight bodysuits in my opinion.
    I think I can count on one hand the number of them that still do and that probably includes Sersi, Emma Frost, and Catwoman depending on the artist of her current costume. Do wedges count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There are far too many hero designs right now that look like they're ashamed to be hero designs. Far too many characters wear realistic tactical costumes.

I want my superheroes to look like superheroes gosh-darn-it! I WANT domino masks, pirate books, tights, capes, those gloves that really flare out, and trunks.
    Yeah, I'm really kind of over this need for costumes to have to look "practical" or "realistic."

Like I saw so many people praising the Bruno Redondo Batgirl costume for it being practical and realistic like the Burnside costume but that just took me out of it. Oh, she's wearing pants and a jacket, that's so...mundane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Capes. If there’s a use for them like gliding or something then fine. Otherwise , get rid of them.

Why is everything skintight? As much as characters fight, I’d think they’d want something baggy to allow movement.

Do they have to always wear a costume? I’d like to see characters in action wearing street clothes more.
    I think the response to most of these are more for dynamism, stylishness, and to some degree ease of drawing.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I just mainly get annoyed at those who arent weather resistant, not changing costumes when in cold weather. YJ kept the costumes and gave them winter options. If Black Canary is somewhere cold, her being in her normal costume is......weird. I overlook at lot because it is a fantastical world but let them wear something warm.