Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

I will play devil's advocate here and say Fisher's performance being praised in the final cut and test audiences wanting less Cyborg could both be true. It would not be the first time critics and general audiences disagreed on something, and it's not out of the question to believe your average theater goer wanted more Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and less of the guy they might not have much (if any) familiarity with.

The thing is regardless of whether or not that's true, Whedon's response here was still dumb as ****. Just apologize, promise to do better in the future, and then wait a few years before returning with a new project. Trying to take the fight directly to Fisher and the other actors by whining about them being rude and ungrateful and refusing to take responsibility has done nothing but make him look even worse than he already did.

This isn't a case of Whedon being stupid. This is a narcissist doing what they do when called on their bs behavior.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I will play devil's advocate here and say Fisher's performance being praised in the final cut and test audiences wanting less Cyborg could both be true. It would not be the first time critics and general audiences disagreed on something, and it's not out of the question to believe your average theater goer wanted more Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and less of the guy they might not have much (if any) familiarity with.

The thing is regardless of whether or not that's true, Whedon's response here was still dumb as ****. Just apologize, promise to do better in the future, and then wait a few years before returning with a new project. Trying to take the fight directly to Fisher and the other actors by whining about them being rude and ungrateful and refusing to take responsibility has done nothing but make him look even worse than he already did.
    Exactly this.

Whedon’s response has just given credence to the allegations against him.

He sounds intolerant, rude, aggressive and power drunk. I don’t necessarily agree with everything Fisher said but it’s hard to argue against him considering Whedon’s past actions on Buffy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    This isn't a case of Whedon being stupid. This is a narcissist doing what they do when called on their bs behavior.
    Quoted for truth.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Talk about a self inflicted wound...this had pretty much gone away so all he had to do was keep on going forward with out talking about it and it would have vanished though I suppose it's for the best so his toxicity will hopefully end.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Talk about a self inflicted wound...this had pretty much gone away so all he had to do was keep on going forward with out talking about it and it would have vanished though I suppose it's for the best so his toxicity will hopefully end.
    This interview was from a year ago. It pretty much had gone away until somebody decided now was a good time to publish it. The whole thing feels slightly weird to me. I also wonder, if they waited that long to post the interview, how much of what he said actually was shown?

I guess we had to hear Whedon's side of this sooner or later. He really wasn't helping his case, here. Fisher and Gadot and whoever else are punching up, but Whedon is punching down, which makes him look bad. Some of his actions and responses may be valid, but there are just way too many criticisms against him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So another writer has came forward from Firefly basically confirming one story where Whedon didn't just get mad at a female writer on the series , he took her script and called a meeting where he placed the script on projector and was just cruel for 90 minutes mocking every bit of dialogue etc. The female writer had to hold back from crying on it.
    Where did you see this?

Astonishing Member

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I guess we had to hear Whedon's side of this sooner or later. He really wasn't helping his case, here. Fisher and Gadot and whoever else are punching up, but Whedon is punching down, which makes him look bad. Some of his actions and responses may be valid, but there are just way too many criticisms against him at this point.

Where did you see this?

On CBR's main page ...

https://www.cbr.com/joss-whedon-fire...uL40yHmfBfai9s
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Oh boy, oh boy. Where to begin with this??

First, there are clear signs that Whedon is lying in his responses to questions about the allegations. He says things like "I don't remember that" or "I recall a more pleasant interaction" rather than just saying "no" or actually providing his side of things. This is the same way Kevin Spacey "apologized" to Anthony Rapp when he said "I don't remember doing that, but if I did I was drunk and it was a long time ago, so I apologize. By the way, I'm gay!".

Second, I've never read a more textbook example of a bully hiding under the guise of pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I don't care how much Shakespeare you've read or how much you loved your mom - a jerk is a jerk, plain and simple.

Third, who on Earth told him this interview was a good idea, and why on Earth did someone - an agent, a lawyer, a friend...ANYONE - not put a stop to it when it was clear he was making things much, MUCH worse?

Fourth, I owe Ray Fisher an apology. I thought he was airing dirty laundry out of bitterness and frustration for his role getting reduced, but it's clear that, while Whedon's actions may not have been intentionally racist, they were definitely the actions of a very terrible human being, and I can understand Fisher's point of view now.

I was never a fan of Whedon anyway. My only exposure to his work was Astonishing X-Men, which I admittedly enjoyed, and Avengers. But my enjoyment of his Avengers films were from my love of the characters and I'm sure studio direction than anything Whedon contributed. I enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame much more anyway.

Just a terrible interview from Whedon's vantage point. Now hopefully we never hear from him again.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I think a lot of us had no idea how BAD , Whedon was for years. He was looked at as a good guy who made great shows (he was viewed as being for women big time in industry) and no one knew any of this. When the reports 1st surfaced like they did with Harvey Weinstein we were like , really ? As Affleck said in an article people knew Harvey was a sleazy guy sure , but not to what was learned. (Affleck was in his early 20's and new to Hollywood. He didn't know as he said about him)

The fact was Whedon was viewed better. There was nothing we heard of this for years...and years. A lot of us thought Fisher was mad because not only was his role cut , his potential spin-off film was dead. So a lot of us were sitting thinking , ahh no wonder he's angry.

But as things went further...we learned what Whedon had done and Gadot coming forward and Affleck's own thoughts on how things were....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fourth, I owe Ray Fisher an apology. I thought he was airing dirty laundry out of bitterness and frustration for his role getting reduced, but it's clear that, while Whedon's actions may not have been intentionally racist, they were definitely the actions of a very terrible human being, and I can understand Fisher's point of view now.
    Just because Whedon was a jerk doesn't mean Ray wasn't a prima donna. It's quite possible both true and they brought out the worst in each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Just because Whedon was a jerk doesn't mean Ray wasn't a prima donna. It's quite possible both true and they brought out the worst in each other.
    I am absolutely as critical of Fisher as others here, but there is ample evidence that Joss didn’t need anyone to bring out the worst in him.

Quite frankly I don’t think Whedon is responsible for the worst in Ray either. Him going after Joss is when he’s most sympathetic right now.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Sleeping with/trying to sleep with subordinates in the workplace is pretty much the textbook definition of sexual misconduct, at least in the employment realm.
    There was an accusation by people working on the show that they caught Whedon doing sex acts on the floor with one of these women working on his show which is definitely something that would get you a HR warning or firing in many corporate businesses.

I think that this is a good example of how to use the right tools in the right way. The Joss Whedon and Rey Fisher’s feud are not something that should be taken lightly. It is very important to understand what each side has in mind and why they are making such a big deal out of it.