Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Joss Whedon Breaks Silence: Calls Ray Fisher, “A Bad Actor In Both Senses”

Joss Whedon Breaks Silence on Misconduct Allegations, Calls Ray Fisher ‘A Bad Actor in Both Senses’

Filmmaker Joss Whedon has broken his silence over multiple allegations of misconduct by him on productions he oversaw, including the 2017 film “Justice League” and his influential TV series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

In a lengthy interview with New York magazine that published on Monday, Whedon denied Gal Gadot’s allegation that he “threatened” her career while working on “Justice League,” which Whedon took over after original director Zack Snyder withdrew from the film following a family tragedy.

“I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” Whedon told New York. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.” Whedon said he told Gadot that she would have to tie his body to a railroad track before he would cut a scene she wanted removed, and that Gadot misunderstood as Whedon threatening to tie her to a track instead. Gadot’s response in the story: “I understood perfectly.

Whedon is less forgiving in his assessment of Ray Fisher. The actor’s July 2020 allegation that Whedon’s behavior making “Justice League” was “gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable” was the spark that led to the collapse of Whedon’s career. In December 2020, Warner Bros. said an investigation into Fisher’s claims resulted in unspecified “remedial action” — weeks after HBO said Whedon was withdrawing as executive producer of “The Nevers.”

Fisher also alleged in a Forbes interview from October that he was told Whedon had lightened an actor of color’s complexion in “Justice League” because he didn’t like the skin tone — which Forbes later retracted. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter published April 2021, after the release of Snyder’s four-hour cut of “Justice League” on HBO Max, Fisher alleged that when he tried to express his concerns about the reduction of his character, Cyborg, in Whedon’s two-hour version of the movie, Whedon told him, “It feels like I’m taking notes right now, and I don’t like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.”

To New York, Whedon says he had brightened the entire movie, including all the actors faces, and that he talked with Fisher for hours about his changes. He says he significantly cut down Fisher’s screen time because Cyborg’s storyline “logically made no sense” and that Fisher’s performance was lacking. He denied Fisher’s allegations, saying none were “true or merited discussing.” Instead, Whedon claimed that Fisher’s actions were done in bad faith, meant to sully Whedon’s reputation to reconstitute Snyder’s in advance of the release of the Snyder cut.

“We’re talking about a malevolent force,” Whedon said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”

Representatives for Fisher did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Variety.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Whedon could easily dismiss Fisher and maybe Gadot at saying she didn't understand him better. But the allegations from Buffy to other shows detail a history of terrible behavior to those there. So it backs up Fisher and Gadot's claims more or less. Its sad...Joss Whedon was at one point a great director and literally one of the most powerful men in Hollywood. But like most powerful men he couldn't reign in his behavior.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Not trying to take one side or the other here, but I will say that choosing after all this time to defend yourself against racism accusations on MLK day is kind of tone deaf.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Not trying to take one side or the other here, but I will say that choosing after all this time to defend yourself against racism accusations on MLK day is kind of tone deaf.
    It is an interesting point but in any event I think it is too late for him to mount a defense. If you are not guilty of something you need to say so ASAP

What a moron. How did he think any of this makes him look good?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    To be fair it's not the call ot the interviewed person to determine the date when an interview gets published, that call is made by the editorial. Given the length of the article I assume Whedon gave his answers some time ago and didn't know the piece would get published today.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

He must be one of those people who think they are much smarter than they really are and thus make a fool of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Not taking up for Whedon here but a lot of insecure people who weren't popular and are ignored by women early , once fame arrives they really don't know how to handle themselves with women and being sought after then. A lot of rock stars have said this and how they were bad with relationships due to this "instant fame" with women.

Its one of those situations where Whedon clearly is wrong with how he treated people. Yet this feeling of , wow I'm finally popular and can get all these beautiful women after so many years being shunned by the beautiful people when younger....its gonna play into your mind.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Ultimate Member

My goodness, this interview did Whedon no favors whatsoever.

I was actually looking forward to hearing his part of these stories but using the “English is not her first language” or “Fisher is just a bad actor” excuses is just embarrassing.

Worse still was his conduct when he was working on Buffy. Good lord, he sounds like a nightmare to be around.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

“English is not her first language”

How insulting and rude, putting the blame on her for 'not understanding'. He needs to just disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    To be fair it's not the call ot the interviewed person to determine the date when an interview gets published, that call is made by the editorial. Given the length of the article I assume Whedon gave his answers some time ago and didn't know the piece would get published today.
    Now that I read it it became clear that Whedon's answers are from the spring of 2021 (!), so blaming him for them getting published on MLK day is unjustified.

The article is pretty interesting. Apparently Gadot and Fisher, two actors of little talent, weren't satisfied with Whedon's approach and tried to educate the director of the most successful comic book movie (at that time) on how to direct a comic book movie. Hilarious, and understandable that Whedon wasn't taking any **** from them. That part sounds believable to me as that is also what I already got from Fisher's prior statements, when he spoke about Whedon ignoring his imput for his character. What does that guy think he is, no credentials at all and very little acting talent to show for and yet he wants to tell the director how things work?

Whedon surely made mistakes, too, but many things point to all this being to some extent orchestrated.

Anyway, both Whedon's and Fisher's careers are over. In contrast to Fisher Whedon at least had one.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Now that I read it it became clear that Whedon's answers are from the spring of 2021 (!), so blaming him for them getting published on MLK day is unjustified.

The article is pretty interesting. Apparently Gadot and Fisher, two actors of little talent, weren't satisfied with Whedon's approach and tried to educate the director of the most successful comic book movie (at that time) on how to direct a comic book movie. Hilarious, and understandable that Whedon wasn't taking any **** from them. That part sounds believable to me as that is also what I already got from Fisher's prior statements, when he spoke about Whedon ignoring his imput for his character. What does that guy think he is, no credentials at all and very little acting talent to show for and yet he wants to tell the director how things work?

Whedon surely made mistakes, too, but many things point to all this being to some extent orchestrated.

Anyway, both Whedon's and Fisher's careers are over. In contrast to Fisher Whedon at least had one.
    Gadot has a career , Whedon does not anymore.

She was just in one of the biggest Netflix films that streamed with Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds.

Gadot has a number of projects ahead...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2933757/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Whedon's handling of the entire thing not only caused anger from Gadot and Fisher , it had Ben Affleck literally quit being Batman after it. Saying the film and what happened made him quit. So its not like it was just 2 disgruntled people trying to bring down a good director. It was that Whedon handled himself wrong on the film and ticked off a couple folks doing it.

Whedon is so delusional...And it sounded like he hasn't learned anything -still defending himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Gadot has a career , Whedon does not anymore.

She was just in one of the biggest Netflix films that streamed with Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds.

Gadot has a number of projects ahead...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2933757/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Whedon's handling of the entire thing not only caused anger from Gadot and Fisher , it had Ben Affleck literally quit being Batman after it. Saying the film and what happened made him quit. So its not like it was just 2 disgruntled people trying to bring down a good director. It was that Whedon handled himself wrong on the film and ticked off a couple folks doing it.
    I never claimed otherwise. One doesn't necessarily need acting talent to have a career.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    It is an interesting point but in any event I think it is too late for him to mount a defense. If you are not guilty of something you need to say so ASAP
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Whedon is so delusional...And it sounded like he hasn't learned anything -still defending himself.

Gal Gadot
    Ray Fisher
    Jason Momoa
    Multiple members of the cast and crew of JL
    Kai Cole
    Charisma Carpenter
    Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Michelle Trachtenberg
    James Masters
    Other multiple members of the cast and crew of Buffy

ALL spoke out about Joss Whedon toxic behaviour. he still has defenders asking for more evidence? you don't say.

That interview he did just makes me laugh. Grace Randolph is right. people just need to ignore him