Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Whedon's works have had some notable issues when it comes to race (hiring white actors to play Chinese actors in Firefly easily comes to mind).
    Welcome to 90s/00s Hollywood, we can name A LOT of people who did similar things. Is it problematic? 100% Even years after that we had Emma Stone play half-Asian in a movie but she isnt considered racist. But that doesnt do anything to support the racist claims on JL when no POCs skin was lightened vs someone else and he cut multiple white characters along with POC characters that didnt add to the plot in a 2hr movie. Snyder killed off 2 black characters, Whedon saved one of them. It's very easy to twist some of these things into a certain narrative.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-17-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Welcome to 90s/00s Hollywood, we can name A LOT of people who did similar things.
    I never said racism was unique to Whedon, did I?

Is it problematic? 100% Even years after that we had Emma Stone play half-Asian in a movie but she isnt considered racist.
    Stone still gets flack for that years later, so maybe not the best example.

But that doesnt do anything to support the racist claims on JL when no POCs skin was lightened vs someone else and he cut multiple white characters along with POC characters that didnt add to the plot in a 2hr movie. Snyder killed off 2 black characters, Whedon saved one of them. It's very easy to twist some of these things into a certain narrative.
    Whedon did nothing with the one black character he "saved" and cut the arc of the black character that was central to the movie. You can twist things to a certain narrative, but only so far. Like I said, this is a pattern of behavior going all the way back to Buffy.

I never said racism was unique to Whedon, did I?

Stone still gets flack for that years later, so maybe not the best example.

Whedon did nothing with the one black character he "saved" and cut the arc of the black character that was central to the movie. You can twist things to a certain narrative, but only so far. Like I said, this is a pattern of behavior going all the way back to Buffy.

Stone does not get called racist or any of that. She gets flack but nothing outside of getting dogged on, like people joking about Scarlett playing any race.

Whedons pattern of behavior towards POC doesn't go back to Buffy, he didnt cut down anyones role who were POC. The edits that he made in JL were fairly what would've needed to happen with a 2hr movie. Cyborgs arc wouldn't survive. Cyborg and his dad being at odds and coming back together in the end is doing something with the character. Guy was an equal opportunist *******, James Marsters has spoken plenty about how Whedon threatened him towards the beginning of the show.

On the bright side, this interview is funnier than any joke I've seen from stuff Whedon was involved in, specially this bit:

I legit had to read it more than once to make sure if I read what I think I read, fuckin' hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Whedons pattern of behavior towards POC doesn't go back to Buffy, he didnt cut down anyones role who were POC.
    I was referring to the way Kendra, the first black character on the show was characterized, the depiction of the First Slayer, etc. It didn't all manifest in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Everyone is talking about the Ray stuff but this is the true gem:

Lmao what the hell was he thinking doing this interview?
    Dear Krishna in Vaikuntha, how's this a real interview?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It really is remarkable that Buffy turned out to be as great of a character as she is.

I'm way more confident in attributing it almost entirely to Gellar at this point.
    Its entirely on SMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    On the bright side, this interview is funnier than any joke I've seen from stuff Whedon was involved in, specially this bit:

I legit had to read it more than once to make sure if I read what I think I read, fuckin' hilarious.
    I know right. Who the hell thinks that's an acceptable response?

I was referring to the way Kendra, the first black character on the show was characterized, the depiction of the First Slayer, etc. It didn't all manifest in the same way.
    Yes, it was the 90s where you have a bunch of white people not doing the proper research and using stereotypes. What was seen as acceptable and groundbreaking back then is not acceptable or groundbreaking today. Just like with SATC and their lack of black people in NYC or how they depicted certain communities. Or how Friends used Chandlers trans parent for laughs.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Looks like he hasn't learned or owned up to much. Not surprised. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

It's very rare that I see a professional interview outright mention them laughing at a comment.

I feel bad for his ex-wife though (and all the other women he treated horribly).

Astonishing Member

I think the one thing we can take away from this is that a lot of people at the workplace, especially in the entertainment industry, are assholes. No surprises there. Whether that necessarily means they can indiscriminately be labelled as racists or sexists, or as criminals or sex offenders of some kind, is another matter altogether.

The cast of JL had a terrible experience with him over the reshoots, and the theatrical cut he made was a disappointing mess. That makes him an ******* boss who butchered what could have been a good movie. Doesn't necessarily make him a racist or sexist in my book.

We're living in an age where this simple distinction has been lost...

Joss Whedon just needs to fade away. He is who he is at this point and everyone knows it.

He must have a hands-off agent too because this interview is a terrible idea. Just making Fisher's point.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think the one thing we can take away from this is that a lot of people at the workplace, especially in the entertainment industry, are assholes. No surprises there. Whether that necessarily means they can indiscriminately be labelled as racists or sexists, or as criminals or sex offenders of some kind, is another matter altogether.

The cast of JL had a terrible experience with him over the reshoots, and the theatrical cut he made was a disappointing mess. That makes him an ******* boss who butchered what could have been a good movie. Doesn't necessarily make him a racist or sexist in my book.

We're living in an age where this simple distinction has been lost...
    One of the few things in that interview that make sense is the part where he talks about people who call him a fake feminist don't actually care about feminism. While that's obviously a huge generalization, social media is loaded with people who see something trending and hop on the bandwagon. Given the nature of social media, it's reasonable to assume that many of those people couldn't actually care less about what kind of person Whedon is or how he treated his co-workers, they just like to think they achieve something by inserting themselves into the conversation.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-18-2022 at 01:50 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Just because you're talented, doesn't mean you can't be an arsehole.
    I'm honestly shocked this guy is still column space.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.