Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    All-New Member

I don't see a problem/retcon. His being called "weak tk" just means that it takes a huge effort for him to muster enough of it to have a "strong" effect, like he did against Nimrod, and it'd probably be too draining for him to use it to fly. He's always focused on his TP, so his TK likely isn't reliable for combat/defense, anyway, but I wouldn't mind if he's shown to have been practicing it to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    But couldn't we just say Morrison "Boo-Booed" when he established Cassie Nova with TK? The 1960's Xavier TK events had been mentioned in a Handbook as either one-offs or errors, such as having Xavier scan buildings with his TP for machines or whatever he wanted to find. So then there would be no credible Xavier moments using TK. As it should be.
    I can and do say the entire Morrison era was “Boo-Booed.”

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I don’t mind Xavier having tk at all, but the answer is really fumbled in the interview, and the answer is what bothers me here.

So ... Xavier doesn’t typically use TK, but he must in this moment bc the stakes are high and it’s do or die....Exdept the tk doesn’t help in the long Run here at all.

Huh?

It’s just a contradictory answer, and to be honest, it’s really convenient for any character who’s ever shown any sort of latent power to whip it out when the plot demands. I hate to pull the sexist card but if Xavier can do this, then Female characters should be given similar treatment (e.g., Jean should be able to access Phoenix powers, or the pink form that her teen self Mastered, when the circumstances are very dire). I choose the Phoenix example because Phoenix is a well documented case of “too much power to control”... so why not allow access to it in small doses during critical moments?

I don’t even like jean with Phoenix, I’m just trying to make a point.

So yea, 0 problems here with xaviers tk in theory due to precedent, but the reasoning behind it is really poor, imo.
    Fret not. Rest assured, Jean will use her psionic energy absorption ability again. It's already been confirmed that it is a permanent part of her power set and that "it remains to be seen" if and when she will use it.

Also, Duggan recently liked a tweet in which I insisted, politely, of course, that he bring it back, providing him with a few panels showing when she first used it and other instances. I wouldn't be surprised if he does, in fact, have her use it soon.

He did share with me that she "kills it at end of year 1," i.e., by the 12th issue, so...
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Fret not. Rest assured, Jean will use her psionic energy absorption ability again. It's already been confirmed that it is a permanent part of her power set and that "it remains to be seen" if and when she will use it.

Also, Duggan recently liked a tweet in which I insisted, politely, of course, that he bring it back, providing him with a few panels showing when she first used it and other instances. I wouldn't be surprised if he does, in fact, have her use it soon.

He did share with me that she "kills it at end of year 1," i.e., by the 12th issue, so...
    Was that confirmation a quote from an interview with a writer or was it printed in a title and issue somewhere that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Was that confirmation a quote from an interview with a writer or was it printed in a title and issue somewhere that I missed?
    Jordan D. White confirmed it back in 2019 in an interview with AITP ("baconators" is in the title of the interview, lol). He made it clear that she isn't using it because she chooses not to. If I have time I'll hunt for and post it.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Very happy to hear this.

Like Bendis or not he provided s great gift with this new power. He found a loophole to the “jean js too powerful so must die” trope. Because her pink ability allows her to essentially “scale up”
    With enemies, she can’t just go ape and solo entire groups of enemies at once. Keeps her in a safe middle ground.

Plus it madde perfect sense when she developed it- undergoing trial for Phoenix crimes. How fitting that her teenage version would unlock a different type of ultimate power when being on trial for a different one. I’m sure this was no
    Mistake and think bendis did really well with the timing and nature of its development.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Jordan D. White confirmed it back in 2019 in an interview with AITP ("baconators" is in the title of the interview, lol). He made it clear that she isn't using it because she chooses not to. If I have time I'll hunt for and post it.
    I vouch that I too recall this statement. It didn’t seem eminent but I appreciated them acknowledging it’s still in there and “on the table” If push comes to shove.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Couldn’t they have said that Nimrod still had human parts in his brain and that Xavier hit him with his strongest psi bolt? No TK (ie Xavier’s history would still make sense) and the panel with him blasting Nimrod would still sort of make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Couldn’t they have said that Nimrod still had human parts in his brain and that Xavier hit him with his strongest psi bolt? No TK (ie Xavier’s history would still make sense) and the panel with him blasting Nimrod would still sort of make sense.
    Right!

Back in ish#98 when Xavier is abducted by Sentinels, he telepathically blasts them with a psi-bolt that knocks one underwater. He also states that his powers should have let him know they were nearby, meaning that some part of Sentinels have "brain" waves that he can sense.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    What was shown in Inferno #4 was not “low level.”
    Lmfao some people believe this

When teen Jean takes apart a motorcycle, beast calls it Phoenix level telekinesis
    When Xavier takes apart a powerful Robot, it's somehow low level tk
    Last edited by Del torro; 01-21-2022 at 09:37 AM.

BANNED

Thanks, I'll do the same.

BANNED

AiPT!: Thank you, Matthew! So, Adult Jean Grey recently absorbed Teen Jean’s memories. After Teen Jean, that’s three lives that Jean has in her head that weren’t truly her own (Teen Jean, Phoenix and Madelyne Pryor). Nir Revel (@revel_nir) was curious as to how Jean deals with that.

Jordan: Great question! Let’s ask Amazing Nightcrawler writer, novelist and tremendous X-Fan Seanan McGuire what she thinks!

Seanan McGuire: Denial, denial, denial! At this point, I’m not sure even Jean has the clearest sense of what it means to be “Jean Grey.” Between all the bonus lives and her psychic bond to Scott meaning that his thoughts will have occasionally flavored her own, and just being a psychic (even an Omega-level one) in a world where most people aren’t taught telepathic etiquette, she’s more of a composite than she is the person she was at the beginning. I think she has the power to fix it if she wanted to, but those memories matter, and purging them or locking them away would be tantamount to psychic murder. So she goes along, not fighting it, and lets herself be whoever that combination naturally is. It hurts less than constantly locking parts of herself away.

And, that my friends aught to answer the "can she or can't she" question regarding adult Jean's ability to absorb and redirect psychic energy

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    This is so stupid. If Charles always had tk then he wouldn’t need a wheelchair when he could just levitate around. I’m sick of every telepath getting tk. It cheapens other characters who already had it making them look less unique. You don’t see other mutants with Lightning based powers suddenly aquire the ability to control the weather.
    He had other things on his mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    This is such a non issue. Charles is a low level tk who cares?
    Right? Obviously Xavier been kiiinda a cerebral person since the jump. It'd be totally his choice and bodily preference to gravitate towards developing his telepathy leaving his TK woefully unexplored....i guess idk
    But if they did make it the 616 'Professor X' is the ultimate of Xavier's harnessing his TP A What if? Story where he went full on with the TK is inevitable
    Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Or being shot...
    Who really knows tho?
    GrindrStone(D)

making all the psys the same power-wise really annoys me tbh...why does Xavier need telekinesis? Why does Psylocke? Why does Quentin Quire? etc.

I might be wrong but I don't think Psylocke has TK. I can't remember seeing it in Hellions. It's like 20% TP and 80% Ninja ass kicking skills