Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    People say the Clone Wars animated series salvaged the prequels. So I'd just have Dave Filoni do a new series based on the sequels.
    Isn't he involved with Mando and Boba and the rest of the shows?

I would argue those are, so far, bridging the gap for the disgruntled fans.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The worst thing you can say about the sequels is that they are very, very dull.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-20-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    That's the same position the PT left star wars in, though. PT did have a singular and original vision but the execution squandered it

The revisionism I'm talking about is people acting like the prequels are suddenly hidden masterpieces because the sequels are underwhelming.
    I think it's just because of the comparisons between the PT and ST.

The PT weren't masterpieces but as some others have pointed out, they had a coherent vision and plot. And it brought in new characters (some from the existing expanded universe at the time) instead of very foolishly tossing everything aside which the ST did.

The ST kind of just fell apart and Lucasfilm had to perform "recovery" operations with TROS.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Filoni also sort of pitched the idea of a demoralized Luke back in 2014:

“I think Luke understands that it’s not about what he wants. It’s not about what he gains. It’s frankly about what everybody else gained. Sometimes, you have to be the one that carries that burden and becomes that vessel. These aren’t characters that go and get married. They don’t get over the scar. Frodo [from The Lord of the Rings] carries the ring to Mount Doom and for the rest of his life is plagued with fear. On certain days, he remembers those pains. Because he has to carry that burden. And Frodo has no peace until he leaves that world. Luke is that character.”
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The PT's plot only makes sense in theory to me. Palpatine tricking everyone was too unbelievable. As if the Jedi wouldn't be suspicious about a bounty hunter hired by Gunray to kill Padme being the template for the Republic's surprise clone army. Or Anakin going from 'what have I done' to 'I'll do whatever you ask' in a few minutes. Others improving the PT era through extra material doesn't mean the trilogy was great
    It's not just Palpatine, the old republic and the old Jedi Order were already in a very bad state, Palpatine simply pushed it for his own goal.

The problem is that the movie wasn't able to show the overall picture too well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

I haven't seen those yet so I'll take your word on it.

I'd be down for a sequel to ST with a new cast. Similar to Rebels but less of a prequel. Disney Star Wars is too reliant on Nostalgia. They gotta move forward.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-20-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Dunno, we got two good movies out of the sequels and the third had its moments. Uneven to be sure, but that's par for the course.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Dunno, we got two good movies out of the sequels and the third had its moments. Uneven to be sure, but that's par for the course.
    Other than Rogue One and Solo none of the sequels were even a little bit enjoyable.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

The prequels and sequels suffer from opposite problems.
    I actually think the sequels are fairly well made, with a lot of love and care taken into the craft. The problem seems to be a managment issue. The prequels and Originals were spaced out three years apart, this gave everyone enough time to write a script and essentially make a movie.
    Disney wanted a new Star Wars every year, rotating between main and spin off. The problem here is that essentially you’re factory making a movie.
    On top of that, there was no outline for what would happen. Even George Lucas knew where he wanted the Original movie to go, even if it was a faint line for a singular movie.
    On paper, the sequels are good movies. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
    Saying that, I think the Last Jedi is the best SW outside of the original trilogy, and in many ways, The Force Awakens plays out like a better paced New Hope.
    Its The Rise of Skywalker that effectively breaks the trilogy (and the Saga as a whole), which leads me back to the Legends Canon.

The prequels on other hand had its heart in the right place. I feel sorry for George a bit there as it was obvious he didn’t want to make these movies.
    However they are terrible, almost unwatchable. The effects, acting and writing is so bad that it kind of destroys any enjoyability I could have for this series.
    But Lucas wanted to tell a particular story, and he did.
    Honestly, I don’t think Lucas knows why Star Wars was popular in the first place, and I think he gave into his worst impulses with those movies, especially attack of the clones.

People tend to forget, the prequels were considered a joke for years. I mean there’s an entire movie called Fanboys in which the punchline is ‘Phantom Menace sucks’.
    The recent approval for them mostly comes from nostalgia, and the fact that the new sucks so the old must be good.
    The new does suck, but the old was worse.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think it's just because of the comparisons between the PT and ST.

The PT weren't masterpieces but as some others have pointed out, they had a coherent vision and plot. And it brought in new characters (some from the existing expanded universe at the time) instead of very foolishly tossing everything aside which the ST did.

The ST kind of just fell apart and Lucasfilm had to perform "recovery" operations with TROS.
    They didn't have a coherent plot, though. It was messy and it inconsistent because of the execution

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It's not just Palpatine, the old republic and the old Jedi Order were already in a very bad state, Palpatine simply pushed it for his own goal.

The problem is that the movie wasn't able to show the overall picture too well.
    That doesn't make the movie good, then.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Other than Rogue One and Solo none of the sequels were even a little bit enjoyable.
    That's not true to me. There's some enjoyable moments in the ST
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 01-20-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The prequels and sequels suffer from opposite problems.
    I actually think the sequels are fairly well made, with a lot of love and care taken into the craft. The problem seems to be a managment issue. The prequels and Originals were spaced out three years apart, this gave everyone enough time to write a script and essentially make a movie.
    Disney wanted a new Star Wars every year, rotating between main and spin off. The problem here is that essentially you’re factory making a movie.
    On top of that, there was no outline for what would happen. Even George Lucas knew where he wanted the Original movie to go, even if it was a faint line for a singular movie.
    On paper, the sequels are good movies. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
    Saying that, I think the Last Jedi is the best SW outside of the original trilogy, and in many ways, The Force Awakens plays out like a better paced New Hope.
    Its The Rise of Skywalker that effectively breaks the trilogy (and the Saga as a whole), which leads me back to the Legends Canon.

The prequels on other hand had its heart in the right place. I feel sorry for George a bit there as it was obvious he didn’t want to make these movies.
    However they are terrible, almost unwatchable. The effects, acting and writing is so bad that it kind of destroys any enjoyability I could have for this series.
    But Lucas wanted to tell a particular story, and he did.
    Honestly, I don’t think Lucas knows why Star Wars was popular in the first place, and I think he gave into his worst impulses with those movies, especially attack of the clones.

People tend to forget, the prequels were considered a joke for years. I mean there’s an entire movie called Fanboys in which the punchline is ‘Phantom Menace sucks’.
    The recent approval for them mostly comes from nostalgia, and the fact that the new sucks so the old must be good.
    The new does suck, but the old was worse.
    Interesting analysis. That last part really gets me. It's like all these modern fandoms suddenly pretend older entries they didn't like are now masterpieces because newer entries are disappointing

Ultimate Member

They didn't have a coherent plot, though. It was messy and it inconsistent because of the execution
    We will agree to disagree then.

Like I said before, I can't really think of a single thing the ST did better than the PT.

Not one.

Astonishing Member

I mean everyone can argue about the quality of the films. But Lucas had a plot for the prequels. No way there was a coherent plot for the sequels. It was like a jam band. I don't know what was going on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean everyone can argue about the quality of the films. But Lucas had a plot for the prequels. No way there was a coherent plot for the sequels. It was like a jam band. I don't know what was going on.
    Exactly.

The ST introduced literally retconned characters backstories and motivations within the same narrative.

It all culminated with that absolutely ridiculous return of the Emperor which wasn’t even explained (???).

The PT was a coherent work that was rounded up nicely. They weren’t perfect but there was logical consistency to the movies that the ST ultimately didn’t have. And it didn’t attempt to recreate scenes from the older movies (like The Force Awakens did).
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-20-2022 at 08:52 PM.

That doesn't make the movie good, then.
    Actually the movie probably got problems, but it did show the flaw of the old Jedi order and the old republic quite well

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Also the PT greatly expanded the universe and left so much potential. The ST left a very dull era which doesn't even make too much sense.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 01-20-2022 at 09:18 PM.