Default Green Lantern #10 discussion

Loved this. Probably my favourite issue in this entire run.

Key things that happened:
    John is fighting Esak and trying to contain the energy that was released last issue.
    While fighting John is having visions of various possible futures. From my understanding this is how GL Future State stories are rolled into this run. If it contradicts something that we saw in the ongoing? Then just assume that they were one of the possible branches that John experienced.
    Lonar urges John to make a choice, to select his Future State. Supposedly he has to do that to contain the released energy.
    John makes a choice (I think its not clear what he picked at the moment) and sees that **** is going bad on Oa.
    It is not clear at the moment how, but Guardians are back. One of them reveals that she was tracking what our evil Guardian was doing and thats why John was sent to dark sectors (to make him "invisible") and that she created Jo's ring. Basically she knew that something was going to happen, but wasn't sure what so she was preparing multiple contingency plans.
    Evil Guardian is too strong even for Guardians + Jo + former GL in mecha armors + UP forces present on the planet.
    Last page Hal returns with Naomi, Flash (Wally?), Hippolyta and Manhunter.
    Supposedly Jo was checking in with Hal regularly and once she didn't check in for certain amount of time Hal figured that something bad happened and he has to act.

Yeah I’d like to see John’s choice once this is all over just to get an idea of what exactly it did. He looks like he absorbed god like power and became a Guardian but it’s a little hard to tell.

Oh and nice of you to join us Mr. Jordan, glad you brought in reinforcements.

Not sure how to feel about the Far Sector retcon of it all being a plot in case of magical doom/Guardian betrayal. I don’t think it ruins Far Sector in any way just not sure how to feel immediately.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Dang it. I'm going to have to finish reading GL Future State now, aren't I?

Wonderful issue. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Well I think the whole run for John Stewart exploring Future State by Geoffery Thorne is the best comic run that came from the attempt. But I guess when everything is Batman and writers/artist not getting that much of a push. Most books seemed to be not getting highlighted.

Hal being on Earth finally comes to fruition.

So we get to explore what kind of worlds John's creations will look like, given that he's an architect. I thought that was great to see what kind of mindset he will have, since it's confirmed he's a God now. Katma seems to be resurrected here. And John may do the same for Arisia.

John's winged soldiers refers to him as Emerald Sage. That sounds pretty cool.

I like it that the ringless bearers (Green Lanterns) didn't give up, because they're powerless. Their willingness to fight against the guardian without any powers, shows courage and we can see why the rings chose them, because of their great willpower. This was an awesome moment.

I thought this was the best issue of the arc so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hal being on Earth finally comes to fruition.
    For a second, I thought the last page was Ivan Reis' art lol. Hal on the last page looked like it was drawn by Reis.

John gets to choose whatever fate that would lead in his future state, but I hope he doesn't choose a path where his creations and resurrections never happened. But then again, it did say the mythos and status quo will change going forward.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

So can we have Katma (and others) back? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    So can we have Katma (and others) back? Please?
    I guess we'll be able to find out on the next issue or the one after that.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Cool action, solid art to boot. The cosmic backgrounds reminded me of some of the stuff from Liam Sharp's recent run with Morrison. Interested to see where this all leads for the Lanterns on the whole, especially John.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

Just got around to reading this issue.
    While enjoyable, I thought it was very messy and scattershot.

Previous issues were already doing a lot of heavy lifting, balancing the stories of what is going on on OA and what is going on with John. Each storyline is enough for an individual series to tackle (ie. an event series, or a Green Lantern + Green Lantern Corp series), yet Thorne has been (mostly) making it work in one series.

But I felt like Thorne lost control in this issue 10. John Stewart's storyline was (purposefully) disorienting but seemed to be doing too much while not doing enough to develop John's powerup. The OA storyline became suddenly really messy, as Guardians, boring underdeveloped magical Fantastic Four plot devices, giant evil Guardian, giant plant size head, United Planets team, and a Justice League jump into the fray in quick succession. It is very chaotic.

Narrator: "Thorne did not lose control."