Always Rakzo

Default Batman: The Knight #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Yes, yes, this is yet another sort of "origin" story for Batman but, while there's nothing particularly original about such premise, the execution is ultimately what makes any story succeed and fortunately writer Chip Zdarsky knows how to deliver in that regard.

The plot is rather simple, a young and angry Bruce can't be controlled and needs to be lead to his inevitable role as the Dark Knight, everything around though, is what makes this more complex. Let's just say that Zdarsky knows to WRITE, he creates a pretty engaging and believable dynamic between the protagonist and the rest of the cast. The conversations between Alfred and Bruce are perfectly in character and interesting, especially considering the time where this story is suited, so are the interactions between Bruce and one of his first girlfriends and even his treatment with Hugo Strange that reveals more of his character. All of this is certainly helped by Zdarsky's natural and enjoyable dialogue that makes the read much more pleasent.

Even more compelling for me though, is the more complex take concerning wealth and vigilantism, especially how Alfred confronts Bruce about his parents' fortune and how to use it properly or how his friend tells him about how to use his rage to be more than simply another angry cop. It presents a much more realistic social commentary that I've seen recently, Lord knows that if someone like James Tynion IV and especially Tom Taylor handled the topic it would be something like "Rich people and cops suck! Huehuehue!".

The plot itself is more of a set-up. Hell, technically the whole miniseries is more of a set-up because we all know what's going to happen so the character-centric approach is much more understandable and fitting, in that sense I consider it a pretty satisfying work.

Carmine Di Giandomenico handles the art and his work is pretty solid. I was pretty surprised here since his style is less rough than during his early years and delivers a much more polished finish that follows the script in a very clear manner. Is great stuff.

Solid beginning, can't wait for the next one.

I thought it was fun.

Thought the first issue was pretty quality!

Super excited for what comes next!

BANNED

Yea this book is resonating from what we have seen from Imposter so far. I like it. Also isnt this the same artist who drew Magneto Testament?
    Last edited by Vishop; 01-18-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Yea this book is resonating from what we have seen from Imposter so far. I like it. Also isnt this the same artist who drew Magneto Testament?
    Yes it is.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Although certainly well written and with great art...another origin just didn't do anything for me. Unless I hear it does something pretty spectacularly original in future issues I don't think I'll be picking up more.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Me: Okay, I'll flip through this in my LCS and trade wait.

Zdarsky on page 2: Hugo Strange as Bruce's therapist.

Me: Aight, you son of a bitch. You got my money for 10 issues and the trade.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Alfred ripping Bruce a new one and calling him a spoiled brat for “playing” at being a tough guy by participating in street fights was great. Dug the importance of reading for Bruce’s development and liked how he saw through Strange’s manipulations.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This series must be HOT because my store was completely sold out.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I'm starting to think they're trying to make it canon that Gotham is the only city where men and women are put together in holding cells...

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This series must be HOT because my store was completely sold out.
    Zdarsky is really proving to be a draw as a fan favourite. He is showing the potential to be a really big name if he can keep up the quality.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Zdarsky is really proving to be a draw as a fan favourite. He is showing the potential to be a really big name if he can keep up the quality.
    In bleeding cool bestseller list of the week The Knight was more or less at the middle of the list -
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/amaz...stseller-list/

Notably, the list is not based on lots of stores, but online it doesn't seem to sell that great as well - https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellersd

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    In bleeding cool bestseller list of the week The Knight was more or less at the middle of the list -
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/amaz...stseller-list/

Notably, the list is not based on lots of stores, but online it doesn't seem to sell that great as well - https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellersd
    Dude's just starting his writing career (generally speaking, he's only been at it a few years), and is writing a miniseries about pre-Batman days that isn't even Black Label. The guy has buzz and that will hopefully translate over time into a solid following. Give him a chance before chucking him in the bin.