Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Batman: The Knight #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Yes, yes, this is yet another sort of "origin" story for Batman but, while there's nothing particularly original about such premise, the execution is ultimately what makes any story succeed and fortunately writer Chip Zdarsky knows how to deliver in that regard.

The plot is rather simple, a young and angry Bruce can't be controlled and needs to be lead to his inevitable role as the Dark Knight, everything around though, is what makes this more complex. Let's just say that Zdarsky knows to WRITE, he creates a pretty engaging and believable dynamic between the protagonist and the rest of the cast. The conversations between Alfred and Bruce are perfectly in character and interesting, especially considering the time where this story is suited, so are the interactions between Bruce and one of his first girlfriends and even his treatment with Hugo Strange that reveals more of his character. All of this is certainly helped by Zdarsky's natural and enjoyable dialogue that makes the read much more pleasent.

Even more compelling for me though, is the more complex take concerning wealth and vigilantism, especially how Alfred confronts Bruce about his parents' fortune and how to use it properly or how his friend tells him about how to use his rage to be more than simply another angry cop. It presents a much more realistic social commentary that I've seen recently, Lord knows that if someone like James Tynion IV and especially Tom Taylor handled the topic it would be something like "Rich people and cops suck! Huehuehue!".

The plot itself is more of a set-up. Hell, technically the whole miniseries is more of a set-up because we all know what's going to happen so the character-centric approach is much more understandable and fitting, in that sense I consider it a pretty satisfying work.

Carmine Di Giandomenico handles the art and his work is pretty solid. I was pretty surprised here since his style is less rough than during his early years and delivers a much more polished finish that follows the script in a very clear manner. Is great stuff.

Solid beginning, can't wait for the next one.

I thought it was fun.

Thought the first issue was pretty quality!

Super excited for what comes next!

BANNED

Yea this book is resonating from what we have seen from Imposter so far. I like it. Also isnt this the same artist who drew Magneto Testament?
    Last edited by Vishop; 01-18-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Yea this book is resonating from what we have seen from Imposter so far. I like it. Also isnt this the same artist who drew Magneto Testament?
    Yes it is.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Although certainly well written and with great art...another origin just didn't do anything for me. Unless I hear it does something pretty spectacularly original in future issues I don't think I'll be picking up more.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!