Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    My personal therory is Microsoft will keep buying up studios until they are really the only game in town. Then they are going to triple or quadruple the price of Gamepass, and there will be nothing to stop them.
    I feel like some group will prevent THAT big a monopoly on them before then. I am curious to see if Sony will feel the need to eventually buy up EA (which has Battlefield) or Ubisoft (with very story driven games) or Square Enix to take on Microsoft. They are already planning their own Game Pass at this point, it's not that big a secret now.

  2. #17
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    16,841

    Default

    Sony needs to look at Sega. That is a company with some great RPG games and series they can get under lock down (Persona , Catherine , Sonic etc) .

    According to a news article Phil Spencer is saying Call of Duty will exist on multiple platforms still. So the company seems to realize , that its best to keep letting Sony have Call of Duty games since a number of folks won't buy a computer or X-Box to play the series there. So they will earn money off the games and what they sell in store. You wanna make money off $70 billion buyout , this one would make sense to let Sony and Nintendo keep getting those.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

    September 2021 was a hard month. 1st Norm McDonald died and then we learned Disney is ruining Indiana Jones in 2022. Just a hard month to take. Hopefully the film tanks.

  3. #18
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,554

    Default

    As a big fan of Overwatch (who hasn't played much the last couple years, admittedly) and WoW (which I've recently come back to after many years away) I can't say I'm super thrilled by this....but Blizz was in pretty deep trouble anyway and a lot of their best people have left.

    If it improves, or at least doesn't make my games worse, then cool. I play those on pc so no loss there. But I dislike these growing oligopolies and what this may mean for the industry.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I feel like some group will prevent THAT big a monopoly on them before then. I am curious to see if Sony will feel the need to eventually buy up EA (which has Battlefield) or Ubisoft (with very story driven games) or Square Enix to take on Microsoft. They are already planning their own Game Pass at this point, it's not that big a secret now.
    Sony does not have the cash to buy EA. They have the money to buy Square Enix but since Square Enix is basically exclusive to Sony anyway it would be a waste of time. Ubisoft I can see happening. As you can see from the list below Sony is better off trying to get Capcom, MS is weak when it comes to fighting games plus you have Resident Evil series. You have Sega for the Hollywood connection. There is also Konami.

    -EA: $38B
    -Take Two: $18B
    -Nexon: $15B
    -Bandai Namco: $15B
    -Embracer: $10.8B
    -Netmarble $7B
    -Ubisoft: $7B
    -Konami: $6B
    -Square Enix: $5.6B
    -Capcom: $4.9B
    -Sega: $3.6B

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1
    According to a news article Phil Spencer is saying Call of Duty will exist on multiple platforms still. So the company seems to realize , that its best to keep letting Sony have Call of Duty games since a number of folks won't buy a computer or X-Box to play the series there. So they will earn money off the games and what they sell in store. You wanna make money off $70 billion buyout , this one would make sense to let Sony and Nintendo keep getting those.
    What he really means is that MS will honor all existing contracts that were in effect before they bought the company. Because if they don't they will either have to pay out of the nose to Sony and Nintendo or get sued. So what is going to happen is that they will probably get one more year of Call Of Duty games and then MS is pulling the plug. You can still play them on your PC or Xbox but no more PlayStation or Nintendo. Now you may think this makes no sense if you paid 70 billion, but this is about GAMEPASS memberships and becoming the Netflix of gaming which is what MS is trying to do. They are more than happy to lose that money in the short term provided that it pumps up GAMEPASS memberships and cripples Sony. Nintendo will be okay.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-19-2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Had to get the list of game companies
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  5. #20
    Fantastic Member hyped78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    391

    Default

    So potentially no more Call of Duty on Playstation. Ouch.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    So potentially no more Call of Duty on Playstation. Ouch.
    Like I said in the post above you, you will get one more year maybe two.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Pretty much this.

    I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to have bought Acti/Blizz just to take Spyro away from Sony.

    I certainly don't see Mircosoft's ownership improving WoW or Overwatch.
    Wait, have I shifted into a timeline where Spyro is at all relevant?

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wait, have I shifted into a timeline where Spyro is at all relevant?
    It's not.

    That was the point.

  9. #24

    Default

    I want another Tony Hawk entry, but since ActiBlizz for dumb reasons decided to put Vicarious Visions under Blizzard.

    One thing I HOPE is Toys for Bobs being out of the COD prison mines.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

    Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

  10. #25
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    16,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What he really means is that MS will honor all existing contracts that were in effect before they bought the company. Because if they don't they will either have to pay out of the nose to Sony and Nintendo or get sued. So what is going to happen is that they will probably get one more year of Call Of Duty games and then MS is pulling the plug. You can still play them on your PC or Xbox but no more PlayStation or Nintendo. Now you may think this makes no sense if you paid 70 billion, but this is about GAMEPASS memberships and becoming the Netflix of gaming which is what MS is trying to do. They are more than happy to lose that money in the short term provided that it pumps up GAMEPASS memberships and cripples Sony. Nintendo will be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Like I said in the post above you, you will get one more year maybe two.
    Its possible of course they do this. To honor the contracts for sure. Its also a decision where they realize that Call of Duty going exclusive to them only will impact sales beyond the software. Sony and Nintendo have MILLIONS of units sold on PS4 , PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Switch passed 100+ million units sold , PS4 has over 110+ million units last I saw and PS5 (which reports are Sony is gonna start pumping them out and doing direct ordering soon) has 14-15+ million units sold right now. A lot of the Activision sales are done selling cosmetics etc in those games. Billions are made that way.

    If they cut those companies out its billions of dollars long term they can make. Sure you may get folks to jump and buy a new X-Box or computer. But a number will refuse.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

    September 2021 was a hard month. 1st Norm McDonald died and then we learned Disney is ruining Indiana Jones in 2022. Just a hard month to take. Hopefully the film tanks.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its possible of course they do this. To honor the contracts for sure. Its also a decision where they realize that Call of Duty going exclusive to them only will impact sales beyond the software. Sony and Nintendo have MILLIONS of units sold on PS4 , PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Switch passed 100+ million units sold , PS4 has over 110+ million units last I saw and PS5 (which reports are Sony is gonna start pumping them out and doing direct ordering soon) has 14-15+ million units sold right now. A lot of the Activision sales are done selling cosmetics etc in those games. Billions are made that way.

    If they cut those companies out its billions of dollars long term they can make. Sure you may get folks to jump and buy a new X-Box or computer. But a number will refuse.
    Microsoft set a precedent when they gobbled up Bethesda. Remember that? Seems like that happened a hundred years ago. The new Bethesda franchise Starfield? Will not be available on Sony consoles. New Elder Scrolls Games? Will not be available on Sony consoles. New Crash Bandicoot (Crash belongs to MS now) game? Will not be available on Sony consoles. The only way this gets reversed is if Sony allows Gamepass on their console, but that isn't going to happen because Sony is trying to create an alternative. It's not so much about the console anymore it's about the content, and Microsoft is trying to get all the content.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  12. #27
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,035

    Default

    Right, that’s what Microsoft probably really wants. They want Gamepass on PS5.

  13. #28
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    16,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Microsoft set a precedent when they gobbled up Bethesda. Remember that? Seems like that happened a hundred years ago. The new Bethesda franchise Starfield? Will not be available on Sony consoles. New Elder Scrolls Games? Will not be available on Sony consoles. New Crash Bandicoot (Crash belongs to MS now) game? Will not be available on Sony consoles. The only way this gets reversed is if Sony allows Gamepass on their console, but that isn't going to happen because Sony is trying to create an alternative. It's not so much about the console anymore it's about the content, and Microsoft is trying to get all the content.
    The Bethesda games are a completely different animal than what Call of Duty is. COD is a yearly selling brand with new entries that sells on every system. Its just more play and buy on PlayStation right now.

    There is gonna be a segment of people who won't follow to new consoles or computers or Gamepass etc. They will be like f--k that.

    The COD machine makes oodles of cash selling crap to these folks. Microsoft would be spiting themselves comically to do this move as its millions of dollars in revenue they'd potentially lose.

    COD isn't Elder Scrolls , Doom or Crash Bandicoot. Its a huge yearly franchise selling brand. It wouldn't shock anyone if that stays multi platform to keep earning money.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

    September 2021 was a hard month. 1st Norm McDonald died and then we learned Disney is ruining Indiana Jones in 2022. Just a hard month to take. Hopefully the film tanks.

  14. #29
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    16,841

    Default

    Today Phil Spencer released a statement that he has spoken with Sony. That they value that relationship and it appears Cod will stay as it was...

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku....1848391329/amp
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

    September 2021 was a hard month. 1st Norm McDonald died and then we learned Disney is ruining Indiana Jones in 2022. Just a hard month to take. Hopefully the film tanks.

  15. #30

    Default

    Actually, I feel Crash and Spryo are dead in Microsoft's hands. Microsoft aren't being them back. My guess they will foucs on Activison's big AAA titles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •