Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    ....Okay....I really don't understand you people at all.
    World is full of a lot of different people. ^_^

If other people want these skills, I completely understand. It's just not my interest.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-25-2022 at 07:03 AM. Reason: ...editing out crankiness due to people telling me my personal preferences are wrong so often in these threads.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It's okay. We all have our Joe Pesci moments.

I'll take Master of Esoterica. I believe in all that stuff.

And if I'm wrong, and none of that exists ... if we're all just atoms and molecules that got randomly connected for a time, and I get no infusion... then I'll at least have learned something about the nature of reality.

I suppose even if we're just atoms I could still "bliss out" with Buddha-level enlightenment, but I was thinking more along the lines of making actual contact with higher reality or realities, truth with a capital "T."

In the darkest "this world is all this is" version of reality, I'd get some decent meditation and mental discipline skills, if little else. Buddha must have had willpower through the roof. Get that guy a Green Lantern ring....

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    I'll take Master of Esoterica. I believe in all that stuff.

And if I'm wrong, and none of that exists ... if we're all just atoms and molecules that got randomly connected for a time, and I get no infusion... then I'll at least have learned something about the nature of reality.

I suppose even if we're just atoms I could still "bliss out" with Buddha-level enlightenment, but I was thinking more along the lines of making actual contact with higher reality or realities, truth with a capital "T."

In the darkest "this world is all this is" version of reality, I'd get some decent meditation and mental discipline skills, if little else. Buddha must have had willpower through the roof. Get that guy a Green Lantern ring....
    See, and you said it wasn't that it made nonsense real. But clearly, that was the implication.

You were trying to pull a sneaky on me.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    See, and you said it wasn't that it made nonsense real. But clearly, that was the implication.

Take the $500. It's all about the $500.

^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Might take Master of war just to try and become a action movie star
    If anything, Master of war should also improve my eye sight, since im a expert marksman.

Master of Games be sweet to.

BANNED

I have to go with the master of all forms of commerce if we're being honest here. Depending on how you play this, you could amass a sizable fortune and influence within a short amount of time. Meaning you can work your way up the social ladder and become one of the elite. Or piss away your vast fortune on hookers, cars, meth, and your private island guarded around the clock by private militia.

The thing is, I really do believe in the spiritual as a basic cognitive foundation. You apparently don't. So, miscommunication.

But even if the universe is such that all the esoteric stuff is nonsense, and you get no powers, you still get something by choosing that selection. You get to know the metaphysical truth.

Essentially, choosing the "Esoterica" package is forcing the universe to reveal its true nature.

Of course, if Lovecraft was correct, knowing that truth could drive you insane. So there's that....
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-01-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Take the $500. It's all about the $500.

^_^
    You're a smart one, Mr. Sharperer Supreme.

The thing is, I really do believe in the spiritual as a basic cognitive foundation. You apparently don't. So, miscommunication.

But even if the universe is such that all the esoteric stuff is nonsense, and you get no powers, you still get something by choosing that selection. You get to know the metaphysical truth.

Essentially, choosing the "Esoterica" package is forcing the universe to reveal its true nature.

Of course, if Lovecraft was correct, knowing that truth could drive you insane. So there's that....
    I'm already insane. But now I'll be insane with $500.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Hmm, that IS actually useful. Currently, there is atheism, plus hundreds of religions. I myself am an atheist, but that doesn't mean the possibility that one of these religions are correct doesn't frighten my at all. Even a one in a million chance of going to Hell and burning for eternity is one chance in a million too many. Unfortunately, picking a religion doesn't improve my odds much. If I pick Christianity, and Islam turns out to be correct, I'm off to Hell forever. Ditto if I pick Islam and Christianity turns out to be correct. Heck, I could even be screwed for picking the correct basic religion, but picking the wrong denomination. Sucks to be Sunni/Baptist if Shia/Catholic turns out to be the correct choice. And that's before we get into the hundreds of non-abrahamic religions out there. Heck, for all we know, there IS a god, but that god thinks like the Lady Of Pain and doesn't want to be worshiped.

You're a smart one, Mr. Sharperer Supreme.
    Thank you, oh squamous one. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I’ll take war. I’d reign as UFC heavy weight champ until I’m elderly and be hailed as the GOAT within the annuals of history. That takes care of any money I might want. I’d also be able to mentor students and still enjoy a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    I’ll take war. I’d reign as UFC heavy weight champ until I’m elderly and be hailed as the GOAT within the annuals of history. That takes care of any money I might want. I’d also be able to mentor students and still enjoy a normal life.
    As per the OP, this is real-world skills. So knowing all of those martial arts, but not being in shape or as big as the guys in the Heavyweight division, means getting not doing so hot. Not saying you aren't as big and tough as these guys, maybe you are; just worth noting that Shai has set this thread up for 'realistic skills'.

Same thing with getting older. It doesn't magically stop that. So once one starts to slow down compared to the young guys - and that's usually in the area of late 30's - that's another issue with holding onto a championship.

Mentoring students, on the other hand, is perfectly possible. ^_^
    Why are we here?