Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Jane ever killed anybody (unless we count anyone that died under her care that she couldn't save or the fact that she was literally killing herself).

Then again, Jane had the power of plotforce and how non-commital Aaron was in regards to what made someone Worthy .
    Ah, the plotforce is strong with that one!

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-25-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Extremely happy Sam is back as Cap. It made no sense for him to give it up again.

I may just read both books concurrently but honestly I'm more interested in Sam cap.
    It especially made no sense given how the ending of Secret Empire basically built him up as having been celebrated as Captain America after Spencer’s entire run had been tearing him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It especially made no sense given how the ending of Secret Empire basically built him up as having been celebrated as Captain America after Spencer’s entire run had been tearing him down.
    Granted after that tearing down and what happened in SE I can see why Sam would feel he didn't need the shield or the name to feel validated, and be free as the Falcon, while Steve needed it more after what he went through.
    Marvel's always had this approach anyway. This is nothing new. Every major hero has shRed their mantle at some point over the last 3 to 4 decades. Every single one. Marvel is much more about telling stories about the people under the suit and what they bring to those mantles.
    I get it but two people having the same exact codename still feels kind of ridiculous to me. Although of course the only relevant person with that codename will be the person using it in their own book.

Marvel's always had this approach anyway. This is nothing new. Every major hero has shRed their mantle at some point over the last 3 to 4 decades. Every single one. Marvel is much more about telling stories about the people under the suit and what they bring to those mantles.
    That strikes me as more of a DC thing. What attracted me to Marvel is that only Peter could be Spider-Man. Only Steve could be Captain America etc. If the character was replaced it was shown why that character wasn't the right fit before the real deal returned and the other guy was given his own thing to do.

Marvel was unique. DC was mantle driven.

If everyone can be anyone...what's the point?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extremely happy Sam is back as Cap. It made no sense for him to give it up again.
    It makes perfect sense for him to give it back. Because he's NOT cap. He was just using the name was the real guy was unavailable.

That's how it should work. If you fill in for Captain America, or Iron Man, or SPider-man, or NFL SuperPro or anybody else when the real guy comes back, you give him back his name.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Looking forward to both of these.
    Same here..... co-signed!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is Sam a killer? That’s one of the reqs for lifting the hammer iirc.
    It's just a bucket list item. The "how" of it is of lesser importance to me. Marvel writers remind readers time and time again that rules and preconditions ... even their own ... are not immutable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It makes perfect sense for him to give it back. Because he's NOT cap. He was just using the name was the real guy was unavailable.

That's how it should work. If you fill in for Captain America, or Iron Man, or SPider-man, or NFL SuperPro or anybody else when the real guy comes back, you give him back his name.
    Unless you're Monica Rambeau. Then, by God, the name gets surrendered without ever getting it back per editorial dictate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Unless you're Monica Rambeau. Then, by God, the name gets surrendered without ever getting it back per editorial dictate.
    Monica just seems to get done wrong at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Monica just seems to get done wrong at every turn.
    Well, in fairness, Spectrum isn't a horrible name. I just like jabbing at Marvel's hypocrisy with the point of my dagger. A little blood trickles out, but not enough to convince me that they're human and care about Monica .. or any other character like Monica.

Well, in fairness, Spectrum isn't a horrible name. I just like jabbing at Marvel's hypocrisy with the point of my dagger. A little blood trickles out, but not enough to convince me that they're human and care about Monica .. or any other character like Monica.
    I like the name Spectrum, more, I think, than Photon and Pulsar. The problem is, that when a hear Spectrum, my first thought is of the Squadron Supreme/Sinister DR. Spectrum (which even has had a female host). OI mean, it's not nearly enough to make me dislike the name. It's just a pet-peev.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Spectrum is great...but how did it get to that? How many times has her name been taken by someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I like the name Spectrum, more, I think, than Photon and Pulsar. The problem is, that when a hear Spectrum, my first thought is of the Squadron Supreme/Sinister DR. Spectrum (which even has had a female host). OI mean, it's not nearly enough to make me dislike the name. It's just a pet-peev.

Peace
    Same here. And if we're being totally honest, I still worry that if the Squadron Supreme/Sinister should return to prominence for any length of time, Monica will end up getting a new name because her current one is too similar to Dr. Spectrum. It's either that, or writers will avoid using both characters in the same book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Spectrum is great...but how did it get to that? How many times has her name been taken by someone else?
    Too many times. I won't be surprised if her name changes again at some point in the future.

Niffleheim

Too many times. I won't be surprised if her name changes again at some point in the future.
    Losing her code name became part of her character "development"
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough