Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember when Thor came back, Eric Masterson became Thunderstrike. When Steve came back, John Walker became U.S. Agent. When Tony came back, Rhodey became War Machine. There was even the Ben/Peter Scarlet Spider thing. They gave the character their own identity. Now they just let the new guy keep the name.
    Yeah, and I liked even better when John started using a more distinctive uniform with the shield gauntlets, and Rhodey got the warwear (though I never liked the excessively alien design). I thought it distanced them from the OG hero, making them more their own character.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    American Eagle debuted in 1981 in Marvel Two-In-One.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jason...ow_(Earth-616)
    Sam debuted in 1969.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Samue...on_(Earth-616)

So, there was nothing stopping them calling Sam "American Eagle" when he was created. Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to rename him that now, but I don't think that's what was being suggested.
    Yeah, the same thought crossed my mind about Sam'x creation preceeding American's Eagle. But I figured the guy was talking about renaming him. Is there an American Falcon?

Peace

That is a good name.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    How is it making me grumpy? I make no apologies for preferring Peter as Spider-man, Clark as Superman and Bruce as Batman and so on. You start doubling up and the originals are no longer unique or special. That's just my preference. But you obviously can't have an opinion on these boards anymore.
    You can have opinions here.

The thing is nobody is stopping you from having Peter and all those folks in those suits. NOBODY. They all still have books. Something many seem to forget in their rants.

Peter Parker still had more books than Miles. So what is Miles taking from Peter? NOTHING.

Steve will have more books out than Falcon. What is Falcon taking away from Steve? NOTHING.

And if we are going to cry about originals no longer special or unique.
    Where oh WHERE was this when She Hulk, Spider-Woman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Wally West, Miguel O'Hara and those guys first started?

Why is it an issue now? Because folks in need of youtube hits sudden forgot about them?

Dick Grayson is using someone else's name as Nightwing.
    Tim Drake used Robin.
    Jason Todd is using someone else's name.
    Ms Marvel and Aqualad were names no one was using when Kamala & Jackson took them.

So why is it an issue now?

Maybe just maybe the issue needs to be with fans and store owners. When you choose to not give Sam Wilson a shot under his real name but have ZERO issue giving Miles or Carol or Jane Foster or Wally West shots under someone else's name.

What does folks think will happen? Your actions and money say you don't mind it.

If that's the case make Bucky Cap again too. Why not? One for each state. Take away from what makes the original unique by slapping it on every Tom, Dick and Harry over at Marvel. 50 books for Marvel right there.
    Fifty variant covers! Collect them all! Right now the Captain America character is a Reese Cup the chocolate being Marvel not knowing what to do with Captain America and the peanut butter being that Sam Wilson is one of the black characters that they don't know what to do with.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Fifty variant covers! Collect them all! Right now the Captain America character is a Reese Cup the chocolate being Marvel not knowing what to do with Captain America and the peanut butter being that Sam Wilson is one of the black characters that they don't know what to do with.
    Knowing Marvel 50 variant covers for each of the 50 books. 2,500 covers. Make it so!

Extraordinary Member

If that's the case make Bucky Cap again too. Why not? One for each state. Take away from what makes the original unique by slapping it on every Tom, Dick and Harry over at Marvel. 50 books for Marvel right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Knowing Marvel 50 variant covers for each of the 50 books. 2,500 covers. Make it so!
    Can John Walker be Captain America again too? Pretty please???

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can have opinions here.

The thing is nobody is stopping you from having Peter and all those folks in those suits. NOBODY. They all still have books. Something many seem to forget in their rants.

Peter Parker still had more books than Miles. So what is Miles taking from Peter? NOTHING.

Steve will have more books out than Falcon. What is Falcon taking away from Steve? NOTHING.

And if we are going to cry about originals no longer special or unique.
    Where oh WHERE was this when She Hulk, Spider-Woman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Wally West, Miguel O'Hara and those guys first started?

Why is it an issue now? Because folks in need of youtube hits sudden forgot about them?

Dick Grayson is using someone else's name as Nightwing.
    Tim Drake used Robin.
    Jason Todd is using someone else's name.
    Ms Marvel and Aqualad were names no one was using when Kamala & Jackson took them.

So why is it an issue now?

Maybe just maybe the issue needs to be with fans and store owners. When you choose to not give Sam Wilson a shot under his real name but have ZERO issue giving Miles or Carol or Jane Foster or Wally West shots under someone else's name.

What does folks think will happen? Your actions and money say you don't mind it.
    If the character is dead, incapacitated via injury, or retired, then I have no issue with another character assuming the title. It is when you have both running side-by-side that I don't like it because there should only be one. Unless it's something like the Nova or Green Lantern Corps where you can have multiple people because those identities aren't individual to the person using them.

I love Wally West. I own his entire run as Flash. But, as soon as the trigger was pulled to bring Barry back, I felt DC should have transitioned him into a new identity. If they had, I don't think he would have been taken off the board like he was. Barry effectively made Wally redundant by being back. Not only that, but the twò being active at the same time drew arguments in fandom over who was better.

Take the JSA for example. No one calls Jay The Flash. They call him Jay Garrick. Likewise Alan Scott is no longer Green Lantern. Now, whether you think they should be is a matter of personal opinion. But I feel there should be one person per identity. Even Miles should have been given a name change when they ported him over to 616 (although I feel Miles should have stayed in his own universe).

You can't really blame the stores. But fans not giving him a shot unless he is Captain America are just as bad as those people who said they couldn't follow Doctor Who when it was played by a male actor (Likewise those who say they can't watch it now with a female doing it).

There was nothing wrong with Sam before. There isn't now. But Marvel did not give Falcon a proper push. How many relaunches did Carol get before this current run that seems to have clicked? You push and push. Show you mean business by getting a top notch creative team on it.

It’s been done
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Can John Walker be Captain America again too? Pretty please???
    Seconded!

Peace

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

An old bucket list item request: Someone ping me if/when Sam gets to lift Thor's hammer...either in the comics or in the MCU. I'll settle for Stormbreaker, or one of the other similarly enchanted mystical mallets. Hammer, shield and wings would be a nice look, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    An old bucket list item request: Someone ping me if/when Sam gets to lift Thor's hammer...either in the comics or in the MCU. I'll settle for Stormbreaker, or one of the other similarly enchanted mystical mallets. Hammer, shield and wings would be a nice look, I think.
    Is Sam a killer? That’s one of the reqs for lifting the hammer iirc.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is Sam a killer? That’s one of the reqs for lifting the hammer iirc.
    I don't think Jane ever killed anybody (unless we count anyone that died under her care that she couldn't save or the fact that she was literally killing herself).

Then again, Jane had the power of plotforce and how non-commital Aaron was in regards to what made someone Worthy .

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    So many people have lifted Thor's hammer that it's no longer a big deal. I'm pretty sure I saw William (Willie) Lumpkin lift it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extremely happy Sam is back as Cap. It made no sense for him to give it up again.

I may just read both books concurrently but honestly I'm more interested in Sam cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe, or maybe there won’t be another Captain America after Mackie. Regardless the MCU is going to establish that Sam is Cap as much as Steve is. We’re heading to an era of “anyone can wear the mask/wield the shield” across the board for all characters. Every single character will have a legacy at some point, all the popular ones at least.

Marvel's always had this approach anyway. This is nothing new. Every major hero has shRed their mantle at some point over the last 3 to 4 decades. Every single one. Marvel is much more about telling stories about the people under the suit and what they bring to those mantles.