Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Default DC Announces Death of the Justice League

https://ew.com/books/inside-dcs-plan...ustice-league/

For most of the past year, Justice League has been written by Brian Michael Bendis. But Williamson, who penned last year's Infinite Frontier event and the follow-up series Justice League Incarnate, is swooping in to bring this iteration of the comic to an explosive end that will take the epic over-story he's been building into its next chapter.

"Ever since Infinite Frontier #0, we've been building to this story," Williamson says. "Last year was a lot of fun and games, but when this story starts, it's the beginning of the third act. We're going to see things get darkest before the dawn. The Justice League gets called in to fight this Dark Army that's been building on the edge of the multiverse. They go up against this Dark Army and they lose."

The DC superhero universe has changed a lot in recent years, with several new, younger, more diverse heroes and sidekicks taking up the good fight. But while a veteran like Nightwing has seen crises come and go, what effect will the destruction of the Justice League have on newer recruits like Wonder Girl Yara Flor or Green Lantern Jessica Cruz?

"We'll get to see what the ramifications are of losing the Justice League," Williamson says. "You'll get to see how the new heroes react, how some of the heroes that have been around for a while react, you'll see how people on the ground react to this idea of the Justice League dying, and then you'll get to see how all the villains react. What happens when they know the Justice League is gone?"

That's all for the future, though. In and of itself, Justice League #75 will focus on the apocalyptic battle between the Justice League and the Dark Army in a dead multiverse. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Zatanna will embark on this mission — and only one will return to tell the rest of the universe what has happened.

Though Williamson is writing the scenes, it falls to artist Rafa Sandoval to actually depict these beloved superheroes dying in battle.

"My first reaction when I read this script was, 'Wow! This is going to be huge!' Right after that, I started thinking, 'how do I approach drawing this?' " Sandoval tells EW. "There is a big battle with lots of characters and also a very critical and sad moment, so I thought of some movies that I could use as a reference for this book. The Lord of the Rings helped me plan shots and how I could show the battle, as well as how to transition from the battle to the most critical moment, the death of the Justice League. I escalate the action by going from distant shots to close-ups and then suddenly do the opposite to force the reader to stop and take in what is happening on the page. Drawing such a painful death for these characters after they fought so hard was tough. As an artist, though, drawing such epic and emotional moments was a big challenge, and I love these challenges!"

Justice League #75 hits comic stores on April 19. Below, check out a host of variant covers.

Surely this will stick!

I saw an interesting theory that Black Adam will be the sole survivor and DC will put out a JSA book finally while the League is off the table. Also given Yara is mentioned specifically I think this is the event that will push her to take the WW title. Otherwise I think the JL will “die” and all be trapped in the same prison reality as Barry.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I saw an interesting theory that Black Adam will be the sole survivor and DC will put out a JSA book finally while the League is off the table. Also given Yara is mentioned specifically I think this is the event that will push her to take the WW title. Otherwise I think the JL will “die” and all be trapped in the same prison reality as Barry.
    It's not Adam. He's not there at all.
    As announced via Entertainment Weekly, Justice League #75 from writer Josh Williamson and artist Rafa Sandoval will pit Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, John Stewart (Green Lantern), Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Zatanna against a foe known as the Dark Army - and only one member of the League will return to tell the tale.
    It's probably Bruce.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

.....WW was just brought back to life though

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    So her pass still has one transfer to use. Lucky her.

Incredible Member

I mean, it really doesn't make any sense with what's happening in the solo books - a bunch of reset buttons will have to be hit just for them to be in a position to be wiped out - but it wouldn't be the first time a stunt took precedence over everything else. Just because it's daft doesn't make it impossible.

I presume Action Comics will just ignore this and keep running with a "this takes place before JL #75" note, John S will be cycled out of being the co-lead in GL, and editors will make vague reference to things taking place before and after in other places (Batman and Deathstroke Inc - where Black Canary is a cast member - are the most interesting in that respect, since they're written by Williamson himself).

If they are angling for a Future State-esque lineup... well, on the "funeral" cover alone, you have a whole bunch of ex-Leaguers who are not currently on any other team (Wally, all the Green Lanterns, Black Adam, Dr Light, Blue Beetle [Ted], Booster Gold,... is Supergirl being on the JL for a while back in continuity? I forget.). It gets a bit silly to claim that all the Leaguers are dead or whatever, the only ones who can defend the Earth are a bunch of newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    I mean, it really doesn't make any sense with what's happening in the solo books - a bunch of reset buttons will have to be hit just for them to be in a position to be wiped out - but it wouldn't be the first time a stunt took precedence over everything else. Just because it's daft doesn't make it impossible.

I presume Action Comics will just ignore this and keep running with a "this takes place before JL #75" note, John S will be cycled out of being the co-lead in GL, and editors will make vague reference to things taking place before and after in other places (Batman and Deathstroke Inc - where Black Canary is a cast member - are the most interesting in that respect, since they're written by Williamson himself).

If they are angling for a Future State-esque lineup... well, on the "funeral" cover alone, you have a whole bunch of ex-Leaguers who are not currently on any other team (Wally, all the Green Lanterns, Black Adam, Dr Light, Blue Beetle [Ted], Booster Gold,... is Supergirl being on the JL for a while back in continuity? I forget.). It gets a bit silly to claim that all the Leaguers are dead or whatever, the only ones who can defend the Earth are a bunch of newbies.
    Very true. The League has been a revolving door with offshoots that still have alive, if not mentioned, members. And that's not counting the vast group of Titans, Outlaws, Amazons, a number of Supers, a dozen more Green Lanterns, Batman Inc/Family, Justice Society offshoots, etc. And there are powerhouses and numerous veterans of Crises amongst them.

Astonishing Member

I called this. Probably gonna make JSA the main team. You can basically do whatever you want now with Earth 0.

Is that funeral image the first time we've seen Dr. Light recently outside that timelines story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    And Aquaman just got a book again, albeit co-starring with Jackson Hyde.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post

It's the Onslaught/Heroes Reborn problem. The team needs to be "dead" for publishing related reasons even though there are any number of characters who could (and realistically would) carry on for the fallen heroes.

If they’re “dead” for more than 6 months, I’ll be shocked.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's the Onslaught/Heroes Reborn problem. The team needs to be "dead" for publishing related reasons even though there are any number of characters who could (and realistically would) carry on for the fallen heroes.
    It's going to be really interesting seeing how this all works out chronologically. If it does at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This is literally the first thing I thought when I saw this.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re sent to another universe for 6months or a year while everyone else thinks they’re dead.

Expect a new team to take over as mentioned, probably JSA with black Adam.

The most interesting part will be what happens to the solo books, would love action and detective to focus on supporting casts and how they deal with the missing heroes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    If they’re “dead” for more than 6 months, I’ll be shocked.
    I would take that bet. They have to be "dead" long enough for people to notice, and the Crisis Event this is leading into will undoubtedly take a few months itself. And they won't return in issue #1 of that.

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    The most interesting part will be what happens to the solo books, would love action and detective to focus on supporting casts and how they deal with the missing heroes.
    Superman is probably the weirdest part for this. He's already depowered and off-Earth in the middle of a long story arc. This means they have to bring him back at normal status quo just to get rid of him again. (John Stewart & Wonder Woman are also weird choices given their current status quo and having just returned from "death" respectively)
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 01-19-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Again?

Again?!

...AGAIN?!

Wasn't the whole Death Metal event and lead up to it built around the premise of: "The Justice League has fallen to the Dark Multiverse!"

Hasn't EVERY goddamn event for the past fifteen years been built around: "This the darkest the DC universe has ever been, but if the heroes prevail, hope will be restored!"

And how many times have we seen some variation of: "The Justice League is gone! Can these new heroes fill the void and save the day without them?"

Have we seriously reached a point where the only story DC can tell with the Justice League is "They lost. Again."
    For a team consisting of the alleged "greatest heroes" they sure do fail miserably a lot.

Creative bankruptcy all around.