Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Mickey Mouse is still outside of public domain. I don't see current corporations allow the major characters to go public domain. There will no doubt be another "Sonny Bono act".

from Wikipedia:
    The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act – also known as the Copyright Term Extension Act, Sonny Bono Act, or (derisively) the Mickey Mouse Protection Act – extended copyright terms in the United States in 1998. It is one of several acts extending the terms of copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Since this is kind of commemorating 30th anniversary of The Death of Superman, I think it would have been better to do the old switchero and have Superman be the one who survives. At least make it somewhat unique.
    Anyone but Batman simply because I would be utterly shocked if he wasn’t the survivor.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Regarding public domain, I think the Golden Age characters becoming available like Sherlock Holmes is too much to hope for but I think there will still be some significant change to the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Mickey Mouse is still outside of public domain. I don't see current corporations allow the major characters to go public domain. There will no doubt be another "Sonny Bono act".

from Wikipedia:
    The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act – also known as the Copyright Term Extension Act, Sonny Bono Act, or (derisively) the Mickey Mouse Protection Act – extended copyright terms in the United States in 1998. It is one of several acts extending the terms of copyrights.
    Yeah pretty much. I have no fear of The Trinity becoming public domain because Steamboat Willie will enter PD first and there’s no way Disney would allow that to happen. In a fight between Disney and the US Govt, I’d bet on the Mouse every time.

Astonishing Member

Copyrights of the older versions of characters will enter the public domain, if there is no change or extension to the current laws that is.

DC will continue to publish their versions of Superman regardless, while some other company could publish their version based on Golden Age Superman for example. Keep in mind only DC (because they renew the trademarks) get to use Supermans name on the covers and logos introduced later on.

Many of the not-Superman characters that we see in Marvel and indie comics are closer to Superman than what will enter the public domain.

Incredible Member

Well, if there's an extension in the US, it could still happen that these characters enter the Public Domain in the EU, which would still be great.

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=SebastianS;5908773]Well, if there's an extension in the US, it could still happen that these characters enter the Public Domain in the EU, which would still be great.[/QUOT

So many people write about the public domain. But I'm not so sure that it would be that great in the long run. The estates of the original creators are being compensated . Ever see what they write now in a Superman comic ? It's crazy really . It should just say " Superman created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster " . But they have to thank the estate every time .

Can we please just have another COIE's Kill Bruce Wayne Batman let Jace take over ok i'm done.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Can we please just have another COIE's Kill Bruce Wayne Batman let Jace take over ok i'm done.
    The problem with Jace is that he isn't popular or well-received. DC basically is trying to relaunch him now as NY protector after his failure in the Gotham setting, although it was clear at the beginning that he was supposed to be a Gotham character.

Jace also isn't just trying to compete with Bruce. There are just tons of batfamily members that would make much more reasonable successors than Jace, with many of these characters being diversity characters themselves.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    It's just impossible to do at this point. Bruce is irreplaceable, character is too big and popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    DC basically is trying to relaunch him now as NY protector after his failure in the Gotham setting.
    To be fair, they didn't even give him a chance.

BANNED

Huh! Coates predicted it in his Thor run. He actually had them fall to a darkness. Didn't think DC would have to appropriate a Marvel writer's ideas but go figure.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

To be fair, they didn't even give him a chance.
    Didn't they? He had 6 issues in Gotham that resulted in mediocre interest and declining sales.
    He probably could have stayed there, but a confrontation between him and Bruce or the batfamily would have been unavoidable and Jace really doesn't have a better claim for the mantle than "I found a suit and thought that Batman retired even though it's contradicting every single plotline".

He really couldn't have worked in Gotham and be one of the main players. Not as long as either Bruce or the batfamily are there. It's clear DC also understood that and moved him to his own city.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    The problem with Jace is that he isn't popular or well-received. DC basically is trying to relaunch him now as NY protector after his failure in the Gotham setting, although it was clear at the beginning that he was supposed to be a Gotham character.

Jace also isn't just trying to compete with Bruce. There are just tons of batfamily members that would make much more reasonable successors than Jace, with many of these characters being diversity characters themselves.
    Wasn't John Ridley talking about this all the way back at Comic-Con @ Home, though? Before I Am Batman #0. I could be wrong, but I watched the Fear State panel and he spoke about a special surprise in early 2022 that would change the Fox Family forever. Then in early 2022 they move him to New York. So... DC really does have much more of a plan than you give them credit for.

Anyways, as long as Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent die horrific deaths, I'm a happy camper!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Wasn't John Ridley talking about this all the way back at Comic-Con @ Home, though? Before I Am Batman #0. I could be wrong, but I watched the Fear State panel and he spoke about a special surprise in early 2022 that would change the Fox Family forever. Then in early 2022 they move him to New York. So... DC really does have much more of a plan than you give them credit for.

Anyways, as long as Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent die horrific deaths, I'm a happy camper!
    Very unlikely the plan was to move Jace all along, as we got Jace narration of how Batman left Gotham and hasn't been seen in years and how he's going to be there for Gotham... only to move away few issues later.

Much more likely the surprise was his sister becoming his sidekick or something like that. Moving to NY is far from being an impressive surprise. More like a forced relaunch after unsuccessful beginning.