Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

I'll be so glad when whatever this turns out to be is finished . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'll be so glad when whatever this turns out to be is finished . . .
    Jeez I feel sorry for the lot of you.

I wasnt excited for Metal but I enjoyed it, Death Metal was more exciting and better, and when Infinite Frontier began I was 100% all in but The Death of the JL has got me 1000% stoked! I really hope this turns into months, even a year of on going story!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

I wasnt excited for Metal but I enjoyed it, Death Metal was more exciting and better, and when Infinite Frontier began I was 100% all in but The Death of the JL has got me 1000% stoked! I really hope this turns into months, even a year of on going story!
    Because we've all been here before and it's hard for any story like this to have any relevance when the main books will still have the individual heroes running around.

Now, if DC came out and straight up cancelled all the books of the heroes they intended to kill off and kept those books gone while this story is running, THEN I would be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Because we've all been here before and it's hard for any story like this to have any relevance when the main books will still have the individual heroes running around.

Now, if DC came out and straight up cancelled all the books of the heroes they intended to kill off and kept those books gone while this story is running, THEN I would be excited.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I would never expect an event like this to have lasting repercussions, (I mean, nothing in DC lasts for long) so it depends on the stories that spin out of this and so far we don't have any idea what that will be. I am curious to see what they have planned, then I will have something to react to.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-27-2022 at 11:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The fact that this is all just setting up Flashpoint is another frustrating thing. The one thing that has really burned me on DC comics recently is the sheer amount of events that are focused on revising the timeline and then revising that and so on and so on.
    When HASN'T DC been focused on fixing their timelines? That's the question. The problem is, they usually left things alone for about 10 years before addressing it. CoIE happened. Then Zero Hour almost 10 years later. Infinite Crisis 10 years after that.

But after Infinite Crisis, DC has put the pedal to the metal and had one revising event after another Final Crisis, Flashpoint, DC Universe Rebirth, Metal, Death Metal...

That's why DC is so stagnated as a publisher. They are always looking back instead of where they should be looking: forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm hoping that if we do end up with a League replacement team, that it's not just the Future State roster or even a Big 7 legacy group, but brings in the characters who feel like they could realistically step into the League's boots, and not feel like a gimmick group. We'd obviously get a good amount of legacies, since many of DC's best and brightest are legacies (Dick, Kara, Wally, etc) but I don't want or need a complete Big 7 copy. Get Mr. Terrific, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, heroes like that into the mix, and not just Superman Jr., Batman Jr., Wonder Woman Jr., etc.
    The logical successors to be the Big Seven would be Supergirl, Nightwing, Wally West, Donna Troy, Tempest, John Stewart, and Miss Martian. But the likely successors going with the same powersets, would be Jon Kent, Jace Fox, Wally West (his Future State replacement was an AU character), Yara Flor, Jackson Hyde (Future State used Andy Curry, but she's just a baby in the present day), Jo Mullein, and Miss Martian (who had no counterpart on the Future State team).

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    The only thing that stumps me is Keli and her power gauntlet as Hal was using it up until she got it but (apparently there are 2 gauntlets now)
    Yeah, Keli's gauntlet isn't the same one Hal had. She got it from a different GL when he died, who I think was a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suppose it could be possible; Winnie the Poo (in the iconic red shirt) just went public domain and while I'm not sure who actually owned that,
    Clare Milne. The granddaughter of AA Milne and daughter of the real life Christopher Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    As much as Bruce is the Bat and the Man, I would totally be on board for Dick to permanently take over as Batman. I honestly was a bit disappointed that it didn't stick in the 90s after PRODIGAL and in the 2010s after FINAL CRISIS. Love Bruce, but this is the most obvious legacy handover waiting to happen.
    That would solve Tim Drake's problem of not being able to move on from Robin. If Dick became Batman long term, he could take over as Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    The story of Mickey Mouse's first cartoon (such as it is) "Steamboat Willie" will hit the public domain. The character and name Mickey Mouse will remain protected by the many, many trademarks Disney has on the character. And will continue to as long as Disney uses the character. Intellectual Property Law isn't quite as easy as "cartoon hits public domain, anyone can use the character".

It's like how a few of the early Tarzan stories are public domain, but if you want to use the character of Tarzan, you still have to license him from E.R.B., Inc.
    Which actually caused Disney a problem. They can release the material they have (the animated movie, TV cartoon series, and Kingdom Hearts), but can't do anything new with the Tarzan characters. That's why Tarzan hasn't been in Kingdom Hearts after the first game.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-28-2022 at 05:18 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The logical successors to be the Big Seven would be Supergirl, Nightwing, Wally West, Donna Troy, Tempest, John Stewart, and Miss Martian. But the likely successors going with the same powersets, would be Jon Kent, Jace Fox, Wally West (his Future State replacement was an AU character), Yara Flor, Jackson Hyde (Future State used Andy Curry, but she's just a baby in the present day), Jo Mullein, and Miss Martian (who had no counterpart on the Future State team).
    How do you figure that they are logical? Just because they are "secondary" characters from the same franchise? Justice League is big 7. Donna, Tempest and Miss Martian wouldn't even qualify for big 20, or big 100 in Miss Martian's case.

I keep imagining them releasing ss kill the justice league the same time this issue launches. I'm 99% sure that won't happen but I just think that would be cute synergy

I wonder how long it'll be before DC reboots *again*, maybe 18 months to 2 years?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

Well, if you're excited for stuff like this, then good for you.

I'm just too tired of it all. And DC doesn't seem to care about (soon to be former) readers like me because I'm too old for them to waste their time and efforts on and still make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And that's my issue; I want a story that makes some logical sense and isn't just a gimmick cash grab trying to capitalize on a semi-popular two-issue mini. If we're talking about getting the best of the best together to create a new Big Deal Team, then I don't think you want a bunch of rookies. Why would anyone say "Darkseid is attacking! Oh thank god it's that new Batman guy who beat up some street crime! I was afraid we'd get a Titan who's battled Trigon, and what help could they possibly be?!"

We don't know what this story is going to be, but I assume it'll be pushing the Future State roster and some of those guys could indeed be League worthy; Jon Kent has been active for a good 8-10 years and has extensively traveled space/time, Kid Quick has traveled the multiverse and was a big deal on their homeworld (I believe they already arrived on the main earth so they'd be available)....some of these guys have seen and done some stuff that's League worthy. I got no issue with them getting a push, I just have an issue with them getting a push that insults and detracts all the other worthy, viable characters in DC's roster who would logically get called to step up to the big leagues first.

But if all DC does is take the newest, shiniest Big 7 legacies without considering the other characters who should and could be considered League replacements how is that anything other than a gimmick pushing a diversity checkbox JLA? I want a diverse DCU and a diverse League but I want those things to be attained honestly, not by gimmick pandering.

I'd be happy if they just take most of the Future State kids and then add a few other heroes to a core roster of 9 or so. We have to replace Arthur's daughter anyway, and Lantern Jo feels like she could be left in the GL book with "reservist/part time" status on the new Big Deal Team without hurting anything.

That would leave us with Jon, Yara, Jace, and Kid Quick from FS and that's likely enough to serve DC's purposes. Kaldur is likely to replace Andy and I'm fine with that, Kaldur is great. And it leaves room for characters like (just examples here) Khalid Nassour, Nightwing, Wally, Cyborg, and Miss Martian. Or someone like Vixen, Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific, Dr. Light, Power Girl, or Batwoman, if we're accepting characters over the age of 30.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-28-2022 at 10:32 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How do you figure that they are logical? Just because they are "secondary" characters from the same franchise? Justice League is big 7. Donna, Tempest and Miss Martian wouldn't even qualify for big 20, or big 100 in Miss Martian's case.
    Logical in-universe. Tempest was Aquaman's original sidekick (and I did say they'd likely use Jackson instead). Miss Martian is the only other Martian (and already subbed in briefly during Snyder's run, even while being a Titan, by the way, so don't say she's not a likely replacement for J'onn).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-28-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Best way to have a "stand in" JL team, and still have all the DC books keep rolling along with not interruption, is to slightly age up and use the YJ characters.thrybare either not being used, or being used very lightly, tim and Cassie have "bit parts" in their families books, but nothing that would stop them from joining, the not really used, Conner and Bart, with some added YJ type characters.

It could be finally be the way to move them forward and make them big league.

Then after the JL comes back, the YJ JL gets thrown to earth 3 where they f if they fight the syndicate
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Best way to have a "stand in" JL team . . .
    Oh, goody.
    The Substitute League of America