Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Solicitations are, yes. I assume that's what you meant.
    Yeah, brain fart. Also, the two threads about this subject should be merged

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I really do not understand Marvel. It is like they enjoy having Spider-Man lose, and not just Peter. ( unlike say my Islanders and Yankees who are at least trying to win). We have Mephisto with Miles as well as Peter, Ben being a punching bag, and now this. I have sat out most of Beyond because I could see the direction the comic was going, and guess what? They break up Peter and MJ and remove her from the book, I am sitting this arc out as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Like this wasn’t obvious from the moment his name was announced.

Is anyone surprised after the way Wells wrote MJ in his Beyond issues? Is anyone surprised after Wells made his feelings about MJ and committed relationships clear during BND? I really wish Marvel would grow up and realize being in a loving relationship doesn’t give superheroes cooties. But that would mean treating their non-superhero female characters like three dimensional humans instead of terrible life obstacles or blow up dolls and that’s apparently never gonna happen.

At least this hopefully means MJ is safe from being eaten by the Rhino or the Puma or whoever.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-20-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

900 they will all be together again

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Like this wasn’t obvious from the moment his name was announced.

Is anyone surprised after the way Wells wrote MJ in his Beyond issues? Is anyone surprised after Wells made his feelings about MJ and committed relationships clear during BND? I really wish Marvel would grow up and realize women don’t give superheroes cooties.
    Honestly, I don't even know what Wells did in BND, but just his Beyond written issues weren't giving a good impression about how he views MJ lol.

At least this hopefully means MJ is safe from being eaten by the Rhino or the Puma or whomever.
    I wouldn't make a bet that high, she could always break up with Peter and then immediately after Ultimate Blob shows up outta nowhere and repeats his most iconic scene and eats MJ lol.

Huh, and I just made a post that mentions a time Peter slapped MJ back in clone saga, which's similar to Pym slapping Janet, hopefully this doesn't mean I made a weird prediction about awful stuff Janet went through being repeated with MJ .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-20-2022 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I really do not understand Marvel. It is like they enjoy having Spider-Man lose, and not just Peter. ( unlike say my Islanders and Yankees who are at least trying to win). We have Mephisto with Miles as well as Peter, Ben being a punching bag, and now this. I have sat out most of Beyond because I could see the direction the comic was going, and guess what? They break up Peter and MJ and remove her from the book, I am sitting this arc out as well.
    Isn’t that his most endearing quality: being an everyman? Everyone knows that being an every man means untold suffering and being jerked around by everyone else in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Maybe it's something above Mephisto break them up

Anyways, if this break up is happening for real and isn't a bait, well, Zeb Wells, I'm not surprised.
    Even if bait it's just frustrating to see them resort to this tired and boring trope of constantly on/off and will they/won't they with Peter and MJ. Regardless of the outcome the solicit itself is boring and frustrating to see and doesn't make me excited about things to come if this is their idea of getting attention to the book.

Hopefully in the future, when looking back, writers can look at the different eras of Peter/MJ's relationship and see this era as a case study in WHAT NOT TO DO with their "best couple in comics".

The only reason they have anything close to a "best couple in comics" with the two is because of the marriage era where they shared a life together and went through real world struggles and triumphs together facing both superheroic and ordinary and we weren't constantly force fed the stories that are just teasing that type of status quo.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-20-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    900 they will all be together again
    900 will be Peter moving in with Aunt May again.

BANNED

Looks like I won't be picking this garbage up then, Ill stick with Ben and Janine in his Hollywood comic hopefully.

Marvel never learn.

Hope this is just bait, and it's gotten really annoying seeing this back and forth. The character development has shown that they are nearly inseparable, yet you have writers like Howard Mackie/John Byrne and Dan Slott try their damn best to keep them apart. Lets stop this already.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    Hope this is just bait, and it's gotten really annoying seeing this back and forth. The character development has shown that they are nearly inseparable, yet you have writers like Howard Mackie/John Byrne and Dan Slott try their damn best to keep them apart. Lets stop this already.
    I read the comics where they were together. They never really showcased that togetherness to me.

Literally every other form of media did it better.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I read the comics where they were together. They never really showcased that togetherness to me.

You're an idiot and dont know what you are talking about

I would have to disagree. If anything their relationship has been shown to be one of the strongest in fiction, and the comics have done a great job of portraying that more than any other medium.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Even if bait it's just frustrating to see them resort to this tired and boring trope of constantly on/off and will they/won't they with Peter and MJ. Regardless of the outcome the solicit itself is boring and frustrating to see and doesn't make me excited about things to come if this is their idea of getting attention to the book.

Hopefully in the future, when looking back, writers can look at the different eras of Peter/MJ's relationship and see this era as a case study in WHAT NOT TO DO with their "best couple in comics".

The only reason they have anything close to a "best couple in comics" with the two is because of the marriage era where they shared a life together and went through real world struggles and triumphs together facing both superheroic and ordinary and we weren't constantly force fed the stories that are just teasing that type of status quo.
    Also, it appears Marvel is seriously out of touch with current audience sentiment.

There are studies that audiences crave comfort in their entertainment right now. We’ve been through two years of a pandemic without a firm end in sight. We’re going through loss and uncertainty and the curtailing of things we took for granted. We’re facing shortages (kinda impressed Marvel can put out books on time as one of those shortages is paper) and supply chain disruptions and price fluctuations. The job market is out of whack thanks to “the great resignation” yet employers are still laying people off/closing and the housing market in many markets is tight.

Sure, it’s superhero comics and there needs to be high drama and insurmountable obstacles, so let Peter face those as Spider-Man. Put Spider-Man through the ringer. But audiences want reassurance. There’s a reason why Encanto came out of nowhere to be Disney Animation’s biggest hit in years, as it’s about healing family foundations. Now is not the time to break up Peter and MJ and wipe out the personal growth Spencer gave him, especially when that was the best received aspect of Spencer’s run.

And, sure, this is a probably a fake out designed to anger fans because the old adage is an angry fan is an invested fan and invested fans will talk up the issue and be first in line to buy. But this solicit is just…rolling of the eyes. Like, really? This is the most creative y’all can get? Wake me when it’s over.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-20-2022 at 10:34 AM.

Is this a bait or a joke? Sorry, but this is not funny.