Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Marvel editorial have beaten me down..I am/was a big fan of the marriage..but, at this point I just don't care any more...not bothered if MJ faded away out of Peter's life...I'm sick and tired of the "will they/won't they" get together...fed up to the back teeth of the recent times "endless" tease about this...it is likely/possible that by #900 the idea of them being together could be in sight, but for so long now there's been no consistent meaningful relationship between them portrayed...there's been only cameo appearances of what they mean to each other...so there's a lot of work to be done if a writer/writers want to do justice to a relationship between Pete and MJ in time to be part of Spidey's 60th celebrations...

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

A gift shall be given and good times ahead

Extraordinary Member

Crap like this makes me wish I could win enough money in the lottery to buy Marvel from Disney and walk these editors out the door for stupidity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Marvel editorial have beaten me down..I am/was a big fan of the marriage..but, at this point I just don't care any more...not bothered if MJ faded away out of Peter's life...I'm sick and tired of the "will they/won't they" get together...fed up to the back teeth of the recent times "endless" tease about this...it is likely/possible that by #900 the idea of them being together could be in sight, but for so long now there's been no consistent meaningful relationship between them portrayed...there's been only cameo appearances of what they mean to each other...so there's a lot of work to be done if a writer/writers want to do justice to a relationship between Pete and MJ in time to be part of Spidey's 60th celebrations...
    It’s inevitable im a story with no ending, sadly.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    No offense, but that's a lazy BS argument used to justify character stagnation. I'm so sick of it. Both Batman and Superman have moved on status quo-wise in recent years (see the SuperMariage, Jon, and Damian Wayne) and are doing just dandy.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-22-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    No offense, but that's a lazy BS argument used to justify character stagnation. I'm so sick of it. Both Batman and Superman have moved on status quo-wise in recent years (see the SuperMariage, Jon, and Damian Wayne) and are doing just dandy.
    Not to mention Peter himself had his own status quo changes over time.

But hey, comic books being never ending is part of the reason this happens, but not the only one, because if something doesn't end and is published so often, then it's better to play it safe from a business perspective, but even then, Spidey did get married and OMD didn't really bring anything new or interesting to Spidey's character besides brief flings, and the reason that was done was just editorial bias.

So hey, short version is, super-heroes are stupid, it's why I'm here more for the dumb fun than anything lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'd go as far to say that a story without an ending isn't a story at all, although unfortunately this it-sounded-better-in-my-head thought stopped right there and I've got nothing to add to it.

But I, too, am in despair over how this particular story without an ending keeps dicking everyone around.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Not sure where all this talk of endings is going..I'm happy for the story/stories of Peter/Spidey never ending (looking forward to ASM #3000 ) the marriage or Pete n MJ getting together is not an endgame, this one element of the greater story continuing to be dangled, "will they, won't they" as I mentioned, is the frustrating annoyance..it's one that is particularly of interest to a lot of readers and keeps pushing their buttons annoyingly..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I mean it's just his opinion, not an universal truth, hell Peter David even disagrees with that lol.
    I didn't say it was a universal truth. I was responding to the person who said Gerry Conway has "no idea what he's talking about". Gerry Conway is experienced enough with the subject matter to to know what he's talking about. So is Peter David.

Speaking of writer's opinions on the marriage, JM DeMatteis had an interview today with the Crawlspace and was asked about the marriage and if preferred writing single or married Spider-Man, and he answered that he loved the marriage and writing the marriage personally, saying how he loved the Peter and Mary Jane relationship dynamic, despite knowing and understanding reasons behind why other writers did not. He also comments on the clone saga's agenda to move in Ben as the single Spider-Man and still have Peter and MJ married at the same time (have your cake and eat it to).

He even has a piece of original Sal Buscema art on his wall where Peter and Mary Jane are having dialogue inspired by dialogue between him and his own wife!

Here is the clip of him discussing his love of Spider-Man's marriage from earlier today:

Last edited by Vortex85; 01-22-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Speaking of writer's opinions on the marriage, JM DeMatteis had an interview today with the Crawlspace and was asked about the marriage and if preferred writing single or married Spider-Man, and he answered that he loved the marriage and writing the marriage personally, saying how he loved the Peter and Mary Jane relationship dynamic, despite knowing and understanding reasons behind why other writers did not. He also comments on the clone saga's agenda to move in Ben as the single Spider-Man and still have Peter and MJ married at the same time (have your cake and eat it to).

He even has a piece of original Sal Buscema art on his wall where Peter and Mary Jane are having dialogue inspired by dialogue between him and his own wife!

Here is the clip of him discussing his love of Spider-Man's marriage from earlier today:

Thanks. This is beautiful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Exactly. And hell, it was a similar mentality about marriage concerning Batman that --- for me, at least --- nearly ruined the character when the guy in charge over there wouldn't let him marry Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not to mention Peter himself had his own status quo changes over time.

But hey, comic books being never ending is part of the reason this happens, but not the only one, because if something doesn't end and is published so often, then it's better to play it safe from a business perspective, but even then, Spidey did get married and OMD didn't really bring anything new or interesting to Spidey's character besides brief flings, and the reason that was done was just editorial bias.

So hey, short version is, super-heroes are stupid, it's why I'm here more for the dumb fun than anything lol.
    No more stupid than any other form of fictional media, I'd say.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I may get a lot of flak for this but what the hell. I don't like Peter-MJ pairing. Aside from Mayday being a possibility there is nothing I find interesting about it. To me there is nothing more boring than civilian love interest/emotional support/waiting for her man to come home type deals in comics. I'd prefer Black Cat, Silk or Mockingbird 10 times to MJ so I'd be happy if this completely seperated Peter and MJ but I know that won't be the case. Instead it will be the will they won't they stuff writers and editorial love so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I may get a lot of flak for this but what the hell. I don't like Peter-MJ pairing. Aside from Mayday being a possibility there is nothing I find interesting about it. To me there is nothing more boring than civilian love interest/emotional support/waiting for her man to come home type deals in comics. I'd prefer Black Cat, Silk or Mockingbird 10 times to MJ so I'd be happy if this completely seperated Peter and MJ but I know that won't be the case. Instead it will be the will they won't they stuff writers and editorial love so much.
    It feels like we get so many costumed love interests that people have lost the appeal of a civilian love interest...or forgotten how awesome MJ is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels like we get so many costumed love interests that people have lost the appeal of a civilian love interest...or forgotten how awesome MJ is.
    Right? MJ is one of the most fantastic civilian level characters ever conceived! Larger than life, all about excitement, fun, parties, etc... when written well she can be as exciting or more exciting than the villains Peter is battling in the same issue. Also, as seen in many of the great marriage era stories, she brings Peter out of his comfort zone and into new places and meeting new people, taking his usually boring and mundane Peter Parker side and turning it into something fantastic and interesting too.

I understand some people are more into superhero love interests but like Superman, Spider-Man's iconic love interests (Black Cat is an exception) are usually civilian because it adds more stakes and problems to the story.

In Spider-Man's case, we hit the jackpot, because we got MJ who is as exciting a superhero herself (just without the costume and powers).
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-23-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Most superheroes outside of Superman and Spider-Man seem to have another superhero as their primary love interest (if they have a love interest at all). Part of the issue is these characters have lost touch with the common people. So their only frame of reference are other superheroes. So their lives are all about being superheroes, and other superheroes are the only people they ever interact with.