Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I'm completely fine with this if it means Peter's relationship with MJ will also grow from where it was post wedding pre OMD but the cynic in me just doesn't believe it. If they get married again I fear they will tread water they already had for 20 years. And instead of having that I'd rather have new relationships explored even if none has the history MJ has.

That's the thing. It's not serious or maybe I should say not as serious as it could have been because marvel chickened out from making Peter a family man and messed up everything in the process and ever since then they are dragging their feet. Spencer's run is littered with clues that Peter and MJ will be a couple again yet nothing substantial came out of it and now they are gonna break up again if solicits are to be believed. At this point it's beating a dead horse. And if they get married again, and that's a big if, I don't want any more dead daughters, Norman's shananigans to mess with Peter's life, breakups, clone bs, stupid retcons etc. Just a happy Peter living with his family with occasional superheroics. Marvel showed superheroics and family can go together all the way back in silver age with F4.
    Peter and Mary Jane were made a couple again by Spencer.
    He put them back together in his very first issue.
    It's that they weren't married nor living together.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Peter and Mary Jane were made a couple again by Spencer.
    He put them back together in his very first issue.
    It's that they weren't married nor living together.
    That's what I meant. Sorry, I should be more clear.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 01-24-2022 at 11:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Spider-Man will always be more of the same. At least I'd be able to smile again when reading the book if they brought the marriage back as opposed to rolling my eyes at the pathetic attempts to replace her.

Although, the only one acceptable to in my mind to have another romance would be Black Cat before they brought back MJ and Peter for good. Even then, it's not something that I'd be 100% down for, it would jut get me to sort of be ok with it a little bit. And even then, I'd only be ok with it if they did point out the problems with them and didn't try to give her a "replace MJ" role in Peter's life. Anyone else is really not interesting to me at all.
    Agree, although I don't think Felicia, as her character is today, would want to be in a committed relationship and all the very real emotional responsibility that entails. And I don't think giving her a "MJ closes the door and stays with a grieving Peter" moment would work for her character - and they've tried, making Felicia vulnerable off and on when she dated Peter and Flash -- but she works so much better as the sexy ex always up for an innuendo-filled adventure and maybe even a fling but nothing longterm - because that's who she is and what she wants. Besides, Peter would ultimately bore Felicia silly. I'd love to see Felicia fall for someone who can give her a run for her money, in all senses of the phrase.

Regardless, Felicia (and MJ, for that matter) shouldn't be treated as generic "love interest" props to click onto Peter's action figure arm. And that's the problem. Editorial tends to treat "love interests" like they're interchangeable plastic toy accessories instead of fully fledged characters who have desires, goals and ambitions of their own outside of "Oh, Petey, I wuv you."

Everyone who is moaning about MJ is moaning because they didn't like how MJ, in the worst of the marriage stories, was written as a plastic prop. And if Felicia were put in the same place as Peter's relationship partner, they'd hate her, too, because that's how editorial tends to treat any Spider-Man love interest once the relationship becomes a committed one (see: Carlie). But that's the writers' and editorial's lack of talent, imagination and storytelling skill. It's not the character's, and when writers do treat MJ as a real person - witness stories by Conway, DeMatteis, JMS, the Matt Fraction annual, etc - it's pretty dang magical IMO.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-25-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Agree, although I don't think Felicia, as her character is today, would want to be in a committed relationship and all the very real emotional responsibility that entails. And I don't think giving her a "MJ closes the door and stays with a grieving Peter" moment would work for her character - and they've tried, making Felicia vulnerable off and on when she dated Peter and Flash -- but she works so much better as the sexy ex always up for an innuendo-filled adventure and maybe even a fling but nothing longterm - because that's who she is and what she wants. Besides, Peter would ultimately bore Felicia silly. I'd love to see Felicia fall for someone who can give her a run for her money, in all senses of the phrase.

Regardless, Felicia (and MJ, for that matter) shouldn't be treated as generic "love interest" props to click onto Peter's action figure arm. And that's the problem. Editorial tends to treat "love interests" like they're interchangeable plastic toy accessories instead of fully fledged characters who have desires, goals and ambitions of their own outside of "Oh, Petey, I wuv you."

Everyone who is moaning about MJ is moaning because they didn't like how MJ, in the worst of the marriage stories, was written as a plastic prop. And if Felicia were put in the same place as Peter's relationship partner, they'd hate her, too, because that's how editorial tends to treat any Spider-Man love interest once the relationship becomes a committed one (see: Carlie). But that's the writers' and editorial's lack of talent, imagination and storytelling skill. It's not the character's, and when writers do treat MJ as a real person - witness stories by Conway, DeMatteis, JMS, the Matt Fraction annual, etc - it's pretty dang magical IMO.
    Thanks, and agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    No more stupid than any other form of fictional media, I'd say.
    I'd say super-heroes are worse, but that's because of this format of both being never ending and being published so constantly, means quality control won't always be possible, so it's far easier to get garbage like Secret Empire out.

Throw the cowardly, safe editorial decisions and we have stagnant stories that don't move forward, add in how editorial are also people with biased opinions, which while can lead to good stuff, it can also give us One More Day.

So yeah, if we look at super-heroes as a medium for story telling, while there are gems, they're buried in tons of crap, and I can't blame anyone not wanting to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I may get a lot of flak for this but what the hell. I don't like Peter-MJ pairing. Aside from Mayday being a possibility there is nothing I find interesting about it. To me there is nothing more boring than civilian love interest/emotional support/waiting for her man to come home type deals in comics. I'd prefer Black Cat, Silk or Mockingbird 10 times to MJ so I'd be happy if this completely seperated Peter and MJ but I know that won't be the case. Instead it will be the will they won't they stuff writers and editorial love so much.
    The "will they won't they" nonsense was also done with Felicia, Bobbi and Cindy, it's nothing new to MJ, just a lame romance cliché that won't die.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Marvel did the Pete/Felicia story back in the 80's and showed why it wouldn't work. Heck, even now they keep showing why they wouldn't work almost every time they team up. They're very different people with very different outlooks who want very different things.
    Felicia has developed since the 80's, that whole "I can't stand Peter Parker" nonsense has been gone for so long that not even when Felicia became a bitch in the 90's had a problem with the Peter side anymore, it only returned in BND and that's because she lost her development because of OMD, and now Felicia has her memories back and, yeah, she's definitely okay with the Peter side.

At this point, Peter and Felicia getting into a relationship has higher chances of working, now more than ever, but I doubt Peter would be okay with her stealing, and she's far more mature now while still being her usual character.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My thoughts as well. At this point, I feel it is time to move beyond MJ if Editorial will not allow their relationship to evolve (settle down, have kids, maybe have her become a superhero or at least a support person like in the recent games/animated shows, etc.) This merry-go-round of "will they won't they" is beyond boring for me.
    Even back when the marriage was thing, there's no way he was gonna have kids, Spidey has youth ingrained in him, and super-heroes don't like change, it took so damn long for even characters accepted to be older like Supes and Batman to have kids, and Superman's case is quite clearly an attempt to win back fans after New 52 failed in more ways than one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Thanks, and agreed!
    Very much agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I'd say super-heroes are worse, but that's because of this format of both being never ending and being published so constantly, means quality control won't always be possible, so it's far easier to get garbage like Secret Empire out.

Throw the cowardly, safe editorial decisions and we have stagnant stories that don't move forward, add in how editorial are also people with biased opinions, which while can lead to good stuff, it can also give us One More Day.

So yeah, if we look at super-heroes as a medium for story telling, while there are gems, they're buried in tons of crap, and I can't blame anyone not wanting to bother.

The "will they won't they" nonsense was also done with Felicia, Bobbi and Cindy, it's nothing new to MJ, just a lame romance cliché that won't die.

Felicia has developed since the 80's, that whole "I can't stand Peter Parker" nonsense has been gone for so long that not even when Felicia became a bitch in the 90's had a problem with the Peter side anymore, it only returned in BND and that's because she lost her development because of OMD, and now Felicia has her memories back and, yeah, she's definitely okay with the Peter side.

At this point, Peter and Felicia getting into a relationship has higher chances of working, now more than ever, but I doubt Peter would be okay with her stealing, and she's far more mature now while still being her usual character.

Even back when the marriage was thing, there's no way he was gonna have kids, Spidey has youth ingrained in him, and super-heroes don't like change, it took so damn long for even characters accepted to be older like Supes and Batman to have kids, and Superman's case is quite clearly an attempt to win back fans after New 52 failed in more ways than one.
    Yeah, you raise some valid points there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.