Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Part of the problem is when Scott Lobdell isn't being shanghaied into a corner with his story telling (Ie, no other DC Teen group) then he's a decent story teller. However I really don't know if this group was best suited for him. Seems like he went in with some good ideas then things got out of hand, weather by his own or by that of the editors or something. Glad to see the book going but I really hope that the next incarnation actually feels like a teen titans (YJ) book rather then just some, "Lets throw them all together and see what sticks" situation.

And please can we have the real solstice and Bart come into play?

Astonishing Member

This book suffered from a lethal combo of bad writing AND bad editing. Not everything that went wrong is Lobdell's fault but at the same time, he was still very much the wrong guy for this book.

That's why I'm not really optimistic for the New Teen Titans relaunch. The line-up and costumes on that cover indicate that they're not wiping the slate clean and not changing enough for me to really care, and it's likely the same editorial issues will plague the book.

Obviously a new writer and #1 is a good idea, but they're not really assuring this is going to be different enough.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Lobdell is a really good writer, or at least has previously proven to be. All the interviews I have read from him regarding plans for this book sounded like really good ideas and concepts. What happened between that and the book being printed I have absolutely no idea. Everything about this book (aside from the art occasionally) has been so far below par to be laughable. Likewise why a character is calling herself Wonder Girl and three years later still hasn't met her namesake is ridiculous on the part of editorial. There really should have been a story putting those two together at some point already.
    As for the preview...well at least it's pretty to look at.

Always Rakzo

I think Lobdell's heart was in the right place at some points (in others not so much) but his execution in his biggest disadvantage. DC editorial didn't help with their constant change of directions and rewritings.

I hope that Pfeifer has better luck.

Like Tim's meta on basically the book's failure. Screw retcons, just own up that the run fell apart and deal with it.

Also am hoping that Cassie mentioning her reluctance to be called "Wonder Girl" and having a connection to a woman she's never met is foreshadowing that the two are going to meet soon.

No idea why DC let Lobdell stay on the book for so long to the point where he ruined so many characters. He just isn't a very good writer, especially for a book centered on teen characters, and has been lucky to have been paired up with Rocafort in the reboot, imo. At least his run is now over but given tha lack of changes I have very little confidence Pfeifer's run will be a great improvement.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What a waste of Rocafort's talents here. Jeez. He could have been finishing Lobdell's SUPERMAN run up.

Here's hoping Tim Drake is just a skrull.

No characters were ruined except Bart, but he's not Bart so that kinda takes care of itself. I don't really get why so many insist that the characters themselves are somehow beyond repair just because the book wasn't that good. This book did nothing to mess up anyone on a fundamental level (again, except "Bar"). You find someone who can write a group of teens well, and the characterization problems go away mostly right off the bat.

Astonishing Member

Yep I mean Tim Drake seems to be doing fine in the new preview of Batman Eternal. People are just being melodramatic.

I'd like to see someone take Bar and do something interesting with him though.

Astonishing Member

New 52 Inertia?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    New 52 Inertia?
    I think they will (eventually) return to the classic Bart Allen and Thad Thawne versions of the character considering they're already teasing the appearance of Eobard Thawne.

Which is kinda sad since I wanted Dr. Elias to become the new Zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    New 52 Inertia?
    That would work!

I had an idea for a new TIME MASTERS series with Rip Hunter, where Bar Torr would become a member of the Time Masters. His "future" would more or less be an anomaly from another Earth. He'd have to face the fact that he's just an anomaly, a pale shadow of the real Bart Allen. The Time Masters would police the time line, but also help characters that have no place in recorded "continuity".
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That would work!

I had an idea for a new TIME MASTERS series with Rip Hunter, where Bar Torr would become a member of the Time Masters. His "future" would more or less be an anomaly from another Earth. He'd have to face the fact that he's just an anomaly, a pale shadow of the real Bart Allen. The Time Masters would police the time line, but also help characters that have no place in recorded "continuity".
    It's too bad Dan Jurgens is writing Booster Gold instead of you.

All that pretty art can't hide the horrible crappy writing of Lobdell.

Tim: It was filled with half a dozen meta powered teenagers. Of course it was going to be blown up.
    Funny how that didn't happen to the Titans Tower in the last incarnation of the Titans until oh, about 60 issues in. This really speaks to the utter incompetency of these "Titans".