Default Matriarch request

I am wondering if someone can find and reproduce a panel from the very old Warlock series of Jim Starlin.

It is near the conclusion of the tale

The Matriarch says something like "I suppose the only thing you can do by yourself is die". or something like that.

There is another panel near this, very end, where Pip and Adam are musing about her (perhaps) and someone looking like her walks by them. The idea that things reset, only Adam and certain others remember the whole tale.

I've searched for this myself, but can't find it. Thanks if any one can find it.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I am wondering if someone can find and reproduce a panel from the very old Warlock series of Jim Starlin.

It is near the conclusion of the tale

The Matriarch says something like "I suppose the only thing you can do by yourself is die". or something like that.

There is another panel near this, very end, where Pip and Adam are musing about her (perhaps) and someone looking like her walks by them. The idea that things reset, only Adam and certain others remember the whole tale.

I've searched for this myself, but can't find it. Thanks if any one can find it.

I think that’s from Warlock #10.

The other panels you mention are from either later in the issue, or the next issue, #11. I could not find the panels online. The panels you mention show the following.

After altering the timeline and, at that point, destroying the Magus, the Universal Church of Truth no longer exists. It never existed in the altered timeline. Pip and Warlock decide to get a drink. Warlock spots the woman who would have been the Matriarch, only she is out on a street corner plying her trade in the world’s oldest profession. The message is she was always a whore, just a whore for the Magus and his followers. Now, without that Church, she’s still doing what she does, being a prostitute.

I never liked the way anyone but Starlin drew her. Starlin used Marlene Dietrich as the model for the Matriarch’s looks. No one else draws her as Marlene Dietrich, or if they do, the artists aren’t good enough to execute the drawings.

That might not be fair to compare Starlin with other artists. It should go without saying that Starlin is a much, much better artist and a comic book genius, especially compared to most comics creators.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Thank you so very much! Nice copy. I love your summation of this ending as it is the one I had.

Real good call on Dietrich too, and that she never quite looked like that in subsequent stories.

thanks again, "Obie"
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thank you so very much! Nice copy. I love your summation of this ending as it is the one I had.

Real good call on Dietrich too, and that she never quite looked like that in subsequent stories.

thanks again, "Obie"
    No problem, you’re welcome. Starlin’s early Thanos stories on Captain Marvel, Warlock, that Marvel Two-in-One Annual and the Avengers Annual are some of the best comics Marvel has ever published, IMO.

They’re classics, and they’re even better than what followed with all the Infinity titles over the decades.

It wasn’t until Giffen, and Abnett and Lanning came along that anyone came close to rivaling how great Starlin’s cosmic books were.

I also loved Starlin’s Metamorphosis Odyssey, although it’s pretty dark. Dreadstar is where I think that Starlin runs out of a little bit of that magic he got onto the pages with his earlier work, although Dreadstar is still a very worthy read, better than most comics ever published.

Yes, I’m a huge Starlin fan. I grew up in the same suburb and went to the same schools he did, although decades after him. This pretty much blew my mind back in the day.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-20-2022 at 01:05 PM.