Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Spider-Man Marriage: A THREAD

I did this on my twitter page and will be posting it here as a celebration of Peter and MJ's time as husband and wife. This is a chronological recap focusing on the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane from ASM #290 on. I will be posting in order according to a Spider-Man reading order guide I found on the internet. Any commentary on the recaps I post here are fine, but please try to keep out of order examples /screenshiots to a minimum as I would like this thread to serve as an orderly reference to this era and not to be too confusing! Thanks and enjoy!

Peter asks Mary Jane to marry him in Amazing Spider-Man #290

Last edited by Vortex85; 01-22-2022 at 10:22 AM.

In ASM #291, MJ says "no" reminding him they have been just friends as of late, and rushes off to go see her sister Gayle. However, she doubts her decision to not consult with him about her family problems.

However, after arriving and being openly rebuked by her sister and having a bad encounter with her father, MJ reaches out to Peter for help.

Peter arrives and helps MJ sort out her thoughts and figure out what she must do. Likewise, MJ helps Peter in his battle with Smythe. Turns out they make a good team!

(cont...)

Last edited by Vortex85; 01-20-2022 at 11:30 AM.

After finally dealing with her father, MJ has a realization that she has grown up over the experience, and it's time to stop running from responsibility and commitment. With this she pursues happiness and agrees to marry Peter.

Note, what they achieved in just 3 issues between Peter and MJ was masterful in my opinion.
    - We got family drama highlighted and settled for MJ that had been previously explained as what held her back from commitment
    - We got Peter putting her first and teamwork between the two in both Peter helping her and MJ helping Peter as Spider-Man
    - We got changed minds and hearts based on solving problems together
    It's just really good. Love it.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-20-2022 at 02:02 PM.

In ASM Annual #21, Peter faces doubts of inadequacy living up to MJ's lavish lifestyle. He also dwells on how he lost Gwen as fears and doubts creep in about the future.

At the same time, MJ has an old friend Bruce re-enter her life and try to tempt her back into her old single lifestyle, even giving her tickets to go with him to Paris. She, like Peter, must make a decision.

Despite them both having hesitation and anxiety about moving forward, they both arrive at the last minute to their wedding ceremony!

With their vows made, Peter and Mary Jane Parker are announced a married couple!

MJ notices Peter is upset about not having money for a honeymoon, but she surprises Peter with tickets to Paris she had received from Bruce... she will instead use them for Peter to enjoy and honeymoon together! An epilogue shows their return home from their honeymoon.

I love the parallels in the wedding with both Peter and MJ facing doubts on the same night at the same time, and them both showing up late to the wedding! Different but alike in many ways! MJ using Bruce's ticket's to treat Peter to the honeymoon was a nice twist! Good going MJ! HA!
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-20-2022 at 02:04 PM.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 - Bonus:
    Peter properly gives MJ a wedding ring, handing upside down form the ceiling!

Peter takes MJ to the top of the Empire State Building to think through things with her, which leads to talking about Gwen... followed by a bit of awkward silence...

Peter and MJ share the news with Aunt May and Aunt Anna

(EDIT: LATER more to come with the Honeymoon issue from Spectacular!...)

In Spectacular Annual #7, Peter and MJ are on their honeymoon in south France at Bruce's vacation home. MJ noticing Peter feels inadequate to provide MJ with such extravagancies himself, cheers him up with a swim, no suits needed!

Later, Peter faces awkward dinner date where MJ sees some old friends who make Peter again feel inadequate.

"I love you, tiger. It's an old corny expression, but I do love you. And I love being Mrs. Spider-Man!" - Ah, classic Mary Jane