Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And with that, so begins the downward spiral leading to "Best of Enemies," a truly seminal story in the mythos of Spider-Man that should never have been messed with the way it was. That said, I did like that MJ and May had such a good relationship.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And with that, so begins the downward spiral leading to "Best of Enemies," a truly seminal story in the mythos of Spider-Man that should never have been messed with the way it was.
    And, again, this is where being an MC2 fan pays off, because it was never tampered with there. All the classic continuity counts and none of the 21st century additions, retcons, or revisions do. I really hope we cover it in this thread when we're done with the 616 take on the marriage.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 05-07-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    And, again, this is where being an MC2 fan pays off, because it was never tampered with there. All the classic continuity counts and none of the 21st century additions, retcons, or revisions do. I really hope we cover it in this thread when we're done with the 616 take on the marriage.
    And Spider-Girl was possibly the best part of MC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Not all the modern Marvel additions were bad, though; I do really miss X-23 when they do the crossovers and Wolverine has a different kid.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not all the modern Marvel additions were bad, though
    That's your opinion. There's been some promising directions but Marvel make a mess out of all of them inevitably.

Let's not derail this thread on whether or not modern Marvel has any merit, it's not relevant to the discussion. I was just saying that, to me, the more believable and compelling aspects of Spider-Man history were best preserved with MC2.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not all the modern Marvel additions were bad, though; I do really miss X-23 when they do the crossovers and Wolverine has a different kid.
    X-23 isn't even Wolverine's child. That's what Daken is for.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    X-23 isn't even Wolverine's child. That's what Daken is for.
    The comics themselves literally say otherwise, Heck, part of the point of Daken and X-23's interactions is how they act as foils as the next generation of the family tree.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Alas, we're getting off-topic again, though it would be fun to get to the point where Spider-Man was with the (New) Avengers and Wolverine interacted with him and Mary Jane.

Alas, we're getting off-topic again, though it would be fun to get to the point where Spider-Man was with the (New) Avengers and Wolverine interacted with him and Mary Jane.
    I'm back! Was away longer than I realized... hopefully I can get momentum on this but I just had a busy few days.
    ---

Spider-Man Fear Itself Graphic Novel: Peter protects MJ by a gang of thugs and on their return home, MJ calls Peter out for being overly cautious about his secret identity around Aunt May. She feels May can take it and maybe Peter is protecting himself more than his Aunt!

Last edited by Vortex85; 05-09-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Later at Aunt May's, Peter explains to MJ why he needs to leave on assignment. MJ assures Peter she can take care of herself while he's out and they kiss leading to an awkward moment with Aunt May! After the trip, Peter returns to his wife for an intimate night together!

'Nuff said, indeed. And yeah, I would much rather have Peter finally admit to Aunt May that he's Spider-Man, since both times she found out in canon, even if the first was retconned as "a genetically modified impersonator," she was more than able to handle it and was ultimately proud of Peter for what he did as Spider-Man. Hell, him telling her instead of her finding out on her own would be an excellent sign of character growth on his part. (Alas, character growth for Spider-Man is something Marvel seems allergic to, so . . .)

'Nuff said, indeed. And yeah, I would much rather have Peter finally admit to Aunt May that he's Spider-Man, since both times she found out in canon, even if the first was retconned as "a genetically modified impersonator," she was more than able to handle it and was ultimately proud of Peter for what he did as Spider-Man. Hell, him telling her instead of her finding out on her own would be an excellent sign of character growth on his part. (Alas, character growth for Spider-Man is something Marvel seems allergic to, so . . .)
    Yes, I enjoyed reading Aunt May more when she knew. Maybe they can find something else interesting for her though.
    ----

ASM 361: MJ frustratedly waits on lunch break for Peter who is late again. Finally arriving, MJ needs to talk to Peter about something but he cuts MJ off saying a murder happened - suspect Venom! MJ pleads he leaves it to others for his safety, but Peter insists it's his responsibility! Later, Peter encounters Carnage and returns home informing MJ...

While talking, Peter notices a pack of cigarettes and MJ admits they are hers. She used to smoke and explains that with everything going on... but news on Carnage interrupts and Peter's attention turns from his wife. To MJ's horror, Peter states he must set Venom loose for his only hope against Carnage!

*This whole scene makes me wonder had Peter given MJ attention and had a serious talk with her he could have encouraged her to quit smoking at this moment as opposed to it being drawn out. I guess that's Spider-Man though, Peter making mistakes letting it get in the way of his personal life, and those around he suffer for it. Sometimes I wish I could interrupt the scene though and tell Peter to give his wife the time she deserves. It's a shame he can't be in two places at once!

And that was why from a certain vantage point, having another Spider-Man around would have been an excellent idea if handled well. Peter could delegate some things to the second/other Spider-Man and focus on what's more personally important to his life, as in his wife. Of course, knowing Marvel, we'd either end up with a Knightfall situation where the other Spider-Man goes bats*** due to being unable to handle the responsibility and Peter would have to reassert himself as the "one and only Spider-Man," or the other Spider-Man would get himself badly hurt against a villain Peter delegated to him, which would send Peter down another guilt/self-recrimination spiral. Real shame.

And that was why from a certain vantage point, having another Spider-Man around would have been an excellent idea if handled well. Peter could delegate some things to the second/other Spider-Man and focus on what's more personally important to his life, as in his wife. Of course, knowing Marvel, we'd either end up with a Knightfall situation where the other Spider-Man goes bats*** due to being unable to handle the responsibility and Peter would have to reassert himself as the "one and only Spider-Man," or the other Spider-Man would get himself badly hurt against a villain Peter delegated to him, which would send Peter down another guilt/self-recrimination spiral. Real shame.
    I suppose readers can be divided into 2 groups. Those that enjoy these interruptions and drama in a never ending loop and those that want progression. As for long time readers that is.

As a part of the later group I can't fathom how this repeating stories don't annoy or frustrate readers. How it wouldn't be more enjoyable to have Ben alternate with Peter. If they want to do a story with Peter alone fighting against a torrent of enemies just do it. New York is not bereft of heroes. Spider or not.

What we get are moments where Peter and Ben would coordinate and talk. Added interactions. We can get more stories. Where Peter is available and committed. Or not if they want to go that way. With so many threats we could keep a dozen spider characters busy if marvel wanted.