Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Case Closed! The DC Detectives Appreciation Thread (2022)

From the original version, started by Lee Stone back in October 2017:

Apologies to Angel & the Ape, Detective Chimp, Lois Lane and Maggie Sawyer.
    The image was pretty full and I chose to leave them out.
    I left Ms. Tree out because DC doesn't own her. And while Nathaniel Dusk is questionable as he hasn't appeared anywhere, to my knowledge, outside of his minis, he did appear in the Who's Who.
    And I probably missed a few here and there.

The thread is inspired by the recent appearance of the Mystery Analysts of Gotham City in an issue of Scooby Doo Team-Up.

In that issue, the line-up consisted of Batman, Robin, Doctor Thirteen, Jason Bard, Jonny Double, Slam Bradley, Kaye Daye, Mysto the Magician, Roy Raymond and Ace the Bat-Hound. As well as mentioned former members Detective Chimp and Sam Simeon (of Angel & the Ape), which were two of the 27 photos on the wall of members.

A real DC team of detectives, the Mystery Analysts first appeared in Batman #164 waaaay back in 1964 and included Kaye Daye and Commissioner Gordon along with Ralph Vern (who soon left), Art Saddows, Martin Tellman and District Attorney Danton.
    Only appearing in seven stories, their last appearance was in Batman #295 in 1977.

Appearances:
    Batman #164
    Batman #168
    Batman #174
    Batman #181
    Batman #194
    Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #111 -supposedly, Clark Kent was also a member (go figure!), but we'll assume it was honorary
    Batman #295
    Scooby Doo Team-Up #2

And, if Clark was indeed a member, I'd like to assume that Ralph and Sue Dibney (the Nick and Nora Charles of DC) were, also.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-Appreciation

And for some detectives that already have their own separate appreciation threads for 2022 so far,

Wish there was a poll so we could find out whose the most popular detective.

DC has some cool and quirky detectives .

Astonishing Member

Joe Potato

joe potato.jpg

The pre-Flashpoint ghost of Sue Dibny points an icy finger at whoever left her husband off this list. He may not wear a trench coat or keep a seedy office above a movie theater that only plays the kind of movies they don't make in America any more, but Ralph's one of the top five detectives on the planet.

Certainly better than Jim Corrigan, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    The pre-Flashpoint ghost of Sue Dibny points an icy finger at whoever left her husband off this list. He may not wear a trench coat or keep a seedy office above a movie theater that only plays the kind of movies they don't make in America any more, but Ralph's one of the top five detectives on the planet.

Certainly better than Jim Corrigan, anyway
    There are many superheroes who are excellent detectives.

However, I believe the purpose of this thread was to focus on detectives who are not primarily superheroes. The Jim Corrigan entry I believe was focusing on Jim when he also functioned somewhat separately from The Spectre; Martian Manhunter's John Jones identity was a member of the police in the past; and Jonni Thunder was a private detective prior to gaining lightning abilities. Ralph/Elongated Man didn't have a separate identity as a detective. He was he, and vice versa.

Thought this thread meant DC had gotten the Detective Conan license.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Joe Potato

joe potato.jpg

from Who's Who in the DC Universe #10 (June 1991)

from Detective Comics #594 (Winter 1988)

And to make a certain someone happy, from Detective Comics #1000,

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Thought this thread meant DC had gotten the Detective Conan license.
    Conan-kun would fit in well...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Conan-kun would fit in well...
    Indeed. Couldn't agree more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

However, I believe the purpose of this thread was to focus on detectives who are not primarily superheroes. The Jim Corrigan entry I believe was focusing on Jim when he also functioned somewhat separately from The Spectre; Martian Manhunter's John Jones identity was a member of the police in the past; and Jonni Thunder was a private detective prior to gaining lightning abilities. Ralph/Elongated Man didn't have a separate identity as a detective. He was he, and vice versa.
    I miss Ralph Dibny.

I kind of get that, but the initial spread seems to be stretching things a bit (if you'll pardon the pun). To wit: The Question is an awesome character, but has he ever actually been a private (or police) detective? Mostly, he's a wandering seeker of truth/master of the martial arts who happens to wear the classic detective apparel. If he wore his tank top-and-sweat pants look most of the time, would he be on the list?

But I agree with the general premise, so I'll yield the floor

I have a question about Tim Trench - What in the name of all that's holy was Mark Millar doing with him in that one issue of Swamp Thing?

And to make a certain someone happy, from Detective Comics #1000,
    Putting the Hawks in there (even if they're the Silver Age Thanagarian ones) seems like a reach. The Thanagarian Hawks are cops - really good cops, but half the time in the Silver Age they seemed to rely a LOT on the furshlugginer Absorbascon, which really gave them an unfair advantage.

I kind of get that, but the initial spread seems to be stretching things a bit (if you'll pardon the pun). To wit: The Question is an awesome character, but has he ever actually been a private (or police) detective? Mostly, he's a wandering seeker of truth/master of the martial arts who happens to wear the classic detective apparel. If he wore his tank top-and-sweat pants look most of the time, would he be on the list?

But I agree with the general premise, so I'll yield the floor
    And since I'm not the guy who originally started that previous version of the thread nor assembled that montage of images, I'm only guessing there. Maybe Lee Stone might have the real answer?

I have a question about Tim Trench - What in the name of all that's holy was Mark Millar doing with him in that one issue of Swamp Thing?
    Didn't read that issue of Swamp Thing, so I have no clue.

I did start a couple of versions of a Tim Trench Appreciation Thread in the past
    But they never got much action and I never made it to that far in his run.