Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    spoilers:
    BC has the suit while he's getting back into the 'swing' of things but ohh that final scene has so much potential and danger ahead for this first meeting
    end of spoilers
    Elaborate please

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Elaborate please
    Inquiry: would be more fulfilling reading the issue or a spoiler?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Inquiry: would be more fulfilling reading the issue or a spoiler?
    Haha, I guess you're right

BANNED

Not bad.

spoilers:
    Cat and Cap help Pete train. It's much better than the Gleason Pete issue. Cat comes across really awesome. Pete is still messed up but has his heroic resolve.

Ben doesn't remember that with great power comes great responsibility, implying he's lost a chunk of his Pete memories. If Beyond ends without him regaining them, the story will have been a total waste of our time.

MJ pops up at the end returning from a .BEY issue they desperately want you to buy. She opens her apartment to find Janine, with the Beyond drive. Game on.
    end of spoilers

One of the better issues in the run. Having actual developments in the plot carry over from issue to issue does wonders instead of a nearly completely contained 2 parter. Maybe the back end of this run will carry some story momentum.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Not bad.

spoilers:
    Cat and Cap help Pete train. It's much better than the Gleason Pete issue. Cat comes across really awesome. Pete is still messed up but has his heroic resolve.

Ben doesn't remember that with great power comes great responsibility, implying he's lost a chunk of his Pete memories. If Beyond ends without him regaining them, the story will have been a total waste of our time.

MJ pops up at the end returning from a .BEY issue they desperately want you to buy. She opens her apartment to find Janine, with the Beyond drive. Game on.
    end of spoilers

One of the better issues in the run. Having actual developments in the plot carry over from issue to issue does wonders instead of a nearly completely contained 2 parter. Maybe the back end of this run will carry some story momentum.
    So...he's basically brain damaged

Astonishing Member

Not bad.

spoilers:

end of spoilers

It was okay.
    spoilers:

I liked the Peter parts. Great characterization with Felicia too. I can’t say I’m a fan of Ben’s head getting messed with again and I’m afraid not remembering the ‘with power comes responsibility’ lesson means they’re setting him up to be the villain Peter needs to take down… again. I’m glad Janine is showing some agency although it was weird she addressed MJ as if she knew her as they never actually met during the clone saga. I’m torn about buying the Black Cat/ MJ .BEY issue. All the .BEY issues have left me cold. I feel like they’re trying to pull the horn-dog teen readers in with those cheesecake shots of MJ spilling out of Felicia’s skintight outfit at the end (I thought I was reading a Gen-13 comic from the 90s for a second), but not sure that demographic even still buys the comics anymore. I’ll wait for the reviews of the actual story I guess.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It was okay.
    spoilers:

I liked the Peter parts. Great characterization with Felicia too. I can’t say I’m a fan of Ben’s head getting messed with again and I’m afraid not remembering the ‘with power comes responsibility’ lesson means they’re setting him up to be the villain Peter needs to take down… again. I’m glad Janine is showing some agency although it was weird she addressed MJ as if she knew her as they never actually met during the clone saga. I’m torn about buying the Black Cat/ MJ .BEY issue. All the .BEY issues have left me cold. I feel like they’re trying to pull the horn-dog teen readers in with those cheesecake shots of MJ spilling out of Felicia’s skintight outfit at the end (I thought I was reading a Gen-13 comic from the 90s for a second), but not sure that demographic even still buys the comics anymore. I’ll wait for the reviews of the actual story I guess.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Should def. Buy so far all reviews are saying it's a phenomenal story and high marks in all reviews
    end of spoilers

Not bad.

spoilers:

end of spoilers

"returning from a .BEY issue they desperately want you to buy"

I believe they are referring to Mary Jane / Black Cat Beyond #1 which is no simple .BEY issue "they want you to buy", that's one of the only Beyond issues I desperately wanted to buy! I've seen the dialogue between MJ and Black Cat and it has great interactions and growth for the two of them! The art is not as cheesecake as Gomez imo... but the book is no doubt genuinely well done!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It was okay.
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Feel safe to buy Mary Jane and Black Cat. It was lots of fun, had moments of awesome for both of them, and had some really nice character moments as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    "returning from a .BEY issue they desperately want you to buy"

I believe they are referring to Mary Jane / Black Cat Beyond #1 which is no simple .BEY issue "they want you to buy", that's one of the only Beyond issues I desperately wanted to buy! I've seen the dialogue between MJ and Black Cat and it has great interactions and growth for the two of them! The art is not as cheesecake as Gomez imo... but the book is no doubt genuinely well done!
    I mean, after the Ock/Aunt May issue I feel like I can't be blamed for writing off a Beyond tie-in. I'll give it a read based on your strong reaction. No offense towards the issue was intended.

I also have no problem with cheesecake art.

Regarding this issue

spoilers:
    It all comes down to how this is resolved. If Ben doesn't get his memories restored at the end, I will likely not follow the character to his next appearance. I feel like Kafka's Ring Light or whatever was implying there is a way to restore his memories.

Janine definitely knows of MJ. As I recall, Ben told her his entire history when they were together in the Lost Legacy so I think it's not a big jump that he told her about MJ
    end of spoilers

At least there are interesting developments in play instead of the meandering rinse and repeat ass kickings of Ben that made up the first half.

Hoping Ben and Janine have a major role in saving themselves

Normally I don't have any strong issues with cheesecake art but this issue was too much for me. Felicia is curvy but not like this. It became distracting and took me out of the story. A shame since the art was good beyond that.

When young I always hated stories where the hero had forgotten his identity or was injured. Any sort of artificial handicap.
    I still dislike it. Here it is a moment of irritation. Let's hope they aren't using it to differentiate between Ben and Peter.

Other then that good issue.

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    It all comes down to how this is resolved. If Ben doesn't get his memories restored at the end, I will likely not follow the character to his next appearance. I feel like Kafka's Ring Light or whatever was implying there is a way to restore his memories.

Janine definitely knows of MJ. As I recall, Ben told her his entire history when they were together in the Lost Legacy so I think it's not a big jump that he told her about MJ
    end of spoilers

At least there are interesting developments in play instead of the meandering rinse and repeat ass kickings of Ben that made up the first half.

Hoping Ben and Janine have a major role in saving themselves
    spoilers:
    The obvious solution to Ben's problem has been set up in the first two issues of the run. Peter doesn't like having Ben around, because Ben is basically him. It's awkward and makes him feel un-unique. So what if Peter sucks it up and helps restore Ben's Parker memories in the end? It would be a fairly delightful squaring of the circle, and show Peter once again accepting Ben like he finally did back during the Clone Saga. I just hope Ben gets some agency in whatever goes down and isn't just an obstacle or a damsel.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Normally I don't have any strong issues with cheesecake art but this issue was too much for me. Felicia is curvy but not like this. It became distracting and took me out of the story. A shame since the art was good beyond that.

When young I always hated stories where the hero had forgotten his identity or was injured. Any sort of artificial handicap.
    I still dislike it. Here it is a moment of irritation. Let's hope they aren't using it to differentiate between Ben and Peter.

Other then that good issue.
    Sadly, with the "memories make us who we are" motif since the first pages of Beyond, it seems the way they're heading to.
    The again, there's Kafka machine to restore memories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Sadly, with the "memories make us who we are" motif since the first pages of Beyond, it seems the way they're heading to.
    The again, there's Kafka machine to restore memories.
    The saving grace of the situation is that they have made it seem like losing those memories is a bad thing. Which makes me think they will be restored.

Also looks like Maxine is behind spoilers:
    Kafka becoming Queen Goblin. So if Ben can save her maybe he can save himself
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

The saving grace of the situation is that they have made it seem like losing those memories is a bad thing. Which makes me think they will be restored.

Also looks like Maxine is behind spoilers:
    Kafka becoming Queen Goblin. So if Ben can save her maybe he can save himself
    end of spoilers
    But a bad thing that happens to Ben, so Marvel could decide to just leave him brain damaged like this