Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

One of the better Beyond issues, but I still find this whole run directionless. What is the point of this whole beyond arc?

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    One of the better Beyond issues, but I still find this whole run directionless. What is the point of this whole beyond arc?
    Padding for the next writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Happy to admit I was wrong and MJ/Black Cat was incredible. Jed McKay killing it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Padding for the next writer.
    Who ironically is the same writer at the head of the Beyond brain-trust.

I love Wells; I think he’s a great writer and he comes off as really nice in interviews. That said, I suspect they were trying to lure a bigger name as the ongoing writer for ASM (maybe Hickman?) and when that fell through, they went with Plan B and asked Wells to stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Who ironically is the same writer at the head of the Beyond brain-trust.

I love Wells; I think he’s a great writer and he comes off as really nice in interviews. That said, I suspect they were trying to lure a bigger name as the ongoing writer for ASM (maybe Hickman?) and when that fell through, they went with Plan B and asked Wells to stay on.
    Possibly, and it'll make it more obvious it's padding if Wells himself uses nothing from Beyond lol.

And while I like to joke about it, I doubt Hickman would be writing Spidey, besides how he tends to write team stuff, he also prefers to write arrogant assholes, so he'd be more fitting for a Superior Spider-Man comic or whatever.

Not that he can't write nicer characters, he even seemed to write F4 well when he did the run, and wrote a good Spidey on the few times he did get screen time, just that it seems he prefers to write assholes lol.

Astonishing Member

Possibly, and it'll make it more obvious it's padding if Wells himself uses nothing from Beyond lol.

And while I like to joke about it, I doubt Hickman would be writing Spidey, besides how he tends to write team stuff, he also prefers to write arrogant assholes, so he'd be more fitting for a Superior Spider-Man comic or whatever.

Not that he can't write nicer characters, he even seemed to write F4 well when he did the run, and wrote a good Spidey on the few times he did get screen time, just that it seems he prefers to write assholes lol.
    I think he likes the contrasts between assholes and heroes like Peter or Miles. Johnny and Ben too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I think he likes the contrasts between assholes and heroes like Peter or Miles. Johnny and Ben too.
    I didn't see much of a contrast in what I checked of his Avengers run, to the point Cap was barely part of Illimuminati, and his X-Men had too much focus on the assholes too, they were mostly the only ones who develop in the story, though Cipher was the reason Krakoa could work to begin with and he outsmarted everyone in Inferno at least, so it's not only about the assholes at least.

Astonishing Member

I didn't see much of a contrast in what I checked of his Avengers run, to the point Cap was barely part of Illimuminati, and his X-Men had too much focus on the assholes too, they were mostly the only ones who develop in the story, though Cipher was the reason Krakoa could work to begin with and he outsmarted everyone in Inferno at least, so it's not only about the assholes at least.
    I didn't say it was a balanced showing. Doug shone brighter because of that. The good ones show little but they make an impact. Hell, the impact is greater because of that IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I didn't say it was a balanced showing. Doug shone brighter because of that. The good ones show little but they make an impact. Hell, the impact is greater because of that IMHO
    I guess it can be seen that way, but it still means that 99% of the screen time is used by assholes, while in 1% we get a good character doing something cool, and hey, even if there is weird logic in what Cipher did (Like why the hell would he let someone who admitted she wants to get rid of mutants go just like that), that was a cool moment, but again, it leaves little room for "good" characters, and that definitely wouldn't fly if he tried that in ASM, 'cause it'd mean Spidey would get sidelined again, soon after he got sidelined, again lol.

BANNED

I gotta say on reread I like the Cat and Peter stuff a lot. It's pretty clear to me that they are saying he "needs to earn being Spider-Man" just to make him extra motivated to push himself harder in his rehabilitation and not jump wildy into the fray and get killed.

It's an unfortunate consequence of the medium that like I just don't buy into the graveness of Peter's injury because he's just going to be fine because that's how comics work. But I didn't feel like he came out of the issue looking bad. I think this was by far the best Peter stuff we've had in Beyond and Peter came out of it looking heroic, determined and unbreakable. It's the first time in the ark I wanted to see Peter get better, because I never doubted the outcome. Ut this made me excited to see it play out.

I just realize Janine has never met MJ.