Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80
  1. #16
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Katana was with the BoP during the New52.
    While technically true, that run was an abomination - not just to the Birds of Prey name, but to comics in general - dropped plot points, characters so thin they turn sideways and disappear all the time (leading to said dropped plot points) art so inconsistent I laugh at attempts to claim it had a "main" artist...

    Yeah. No.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

  2. #17
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    651

    Default

    It's just a one-shot. It's not a real established team with their own series.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member Avi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    I liked this idea better when I only knew about Lady Shiva and Katana. I thought they'd at least recruit Dinah.

  4. #19
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also would have been nice to at least have one bird-named/-themed character in the group.

    But maybe that's being nit-picky . . .
    Actually that's a good point. The Birds have pretty much always had Dinah or at least Lady Blackhawk, but now there are now bird-themed heroes in a group named after birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It's just a one-shot. It's not a real established team with their own series.
    Unless they plan to spin this as the de-facto new BoP.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    3,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Actually that's a good point. The Birds have pretty much always had Dinah or at least Lady Blackhawk, but now there are now bird-themed heroes in a group named after birds.

    Unless they plan to spin this as the de-facto new BoP.
    This is a good point. I think I could have gotten behind the idea if they had LB putting the group together for something or Babs sending Zinda to collect these characters. But to just throw these four together? Maybe they will completely impress me, not expecting it (it's rare that DC impresses me with any of their decisions lately unless of course it's how boneheaded it is.)

  6. #21
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is a good point. I think I could have gotten behind the idea if they had LB putting the group together for something or Babs sending Zinda to collect these characters. But to just throw these four together? Maybe they will completely impress me, not expecting it (it's rare that DC impresses me with any of their decisions lately unless of course it's how boneheaded it is.)
    Dang it, I miss Zinda ...

  7. #22
    Incredible Member Twice-named's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    While technically true, that run was an abomination - not just to the Birds of Prey name, but to comics in general - dropped plot points, characters so thin they turn sideways and disappear all the time (leading to said dropped plot points) art so inconsistent I laugh at attempts to claim it had a "main" artist...

    Yeah. No.
    I liked the Poison Ivy story in the beginning of the series. I also liked Starling. But, yes, the series had problems, which were most likely due to editorial interference.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

  8. #23
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I liked the Poison Ivy story in the beginning of the series. I also liked Starling. But, yes, the series had problems, which were most likely due to editorial interference.
    New 52 in a nutshell.

  9. #24
    Incredible Member Captain Nostalgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Wow! I just had a geekasm seeing Vic on the cover.

    Birds of Prey led by Lady Shiva, Vic Sage, Blue & Gold, Roy Harper in the Titans, Peacemaker....DC is doing a good job at getting me to re-open my comic box.

  10. #25
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I could get behind Lady Shiva and Katana getting a BoP team...but Miracle Molly is a total dud and I didn't know there was a female Ghost.
    Katana makes sense, she's been on the team before and is pseudo-Bat family due to her also being on the Outsiders.

    The only Ghost I've heard of in comics is the Marvel villain (usually a man, but she was a woman in the Ant-Man and the Wasp movie).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I liked this idea better when I only knew about Lady Shiva and Katana. I thought they'd at least recruit Dinah.
    Williamson is using her in Deathstroke. DC as we know isn't really good at planning this stuff in advance.

  12. #27
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Williamson is using her in Deathstroke. DC as we know isn't really good at planning this stuff in advance.
    And they probably haven't put much thought into this beyond "new female DC team in Gotham."

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    This could be cool if it's executed properly but why not add an OG member? First the Harley thing now this, I think they just don't know what to do with the title.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: I Am Batman, Milestone, Robin, Nightwing, Nubia, Aquamen, Historia, Naomi S2
    Marvel: HiXmen, Black Panther
    Image: Killadelphia, Ordinary Gods, Excellence, Nightmare Blog
    IDW: TMNT: The Last Ronin
    Other: Seven Secrets, The Antagonist, Black Hammer Reborn, Buffy the Last Vampire Slayer

  14. #29
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This could be cool if it's executed properly but why not add an OG member? First the Harley thing now this, I think they just don't know what to do with the title.
    Now I'm just imagining Dinah bouncing off Shiva again (continuity!) or Oracle bouncing off Molly.

  15. #30
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dang it, I miss Zinda ...
    ME TOO. Goodness. Still quite, quite angry with Snyder for teasing her, and then replacing her with Hawkgirl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I liked the Poison Ivy story in the beginning of the series. I also liked Starling. But, yes, the series had problems, which were most likely due to editorial interference.
    I wanted to like the series - the brand was still deep in my heart at the time, and Jesus Saiz is a great artist (though consistent he is not), but that first arc...just so slapdash and weak. I personally think Swierczynski is just not very good, based on multiple runs I've read by him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It's just a one-shot. It's not a real established team with their own series.
    Still (and perhaps even moreso) represents a dilution and further degradation of the brand that is unnecessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I liked this idea better when I only knew about Lady Shiva and Katana. I thought they'd at least recruit Dinah.
    I'm sure editorial thinks "Dinah is in Deathstroke Inc, we cannot "over saturate" her by having her appear in TWO titles in a month..." to which I say "You have Batman in 30 titles a month. Give Dinah two."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •