Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Katana? Sure. Makes sense. Lady Shiva... Odd choice, but if balanced out, sure. The others... Why? Granted, not being slapped in the face with Harley being the lead, but wow. No Babs or Dinah either. Why?

Extraordinary Member

It’s clear that, for whatever reason, Birds of Prey is seen as an asset divorced from any reliance on either Babs or Black Canary, a bit like how for a while Justice League became divorced from reliance on the Big Guns. It started with Babs being left off of the initial New 52 roster, and probably got further weakened when the BoP as a whole was made back-up singers to Harley Quinn even though Dinah was still there, and a highlight of that line-up.

Which… eh, does kind of kill my interest.

I feel like Babs should always be there as it’s firmest strategist with Dinah. It’s her “Titans.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s clear that, for whatever reason, Birds of Prey is seen as an asset divorced from any reliance on either Babs or Black Canary, a bit like how for a while Justice League became divorced from reliance on the Big Guns. It started with Babs being left off of the initial New 52 roster, and probably got further weakened when the BoP as a whole was made back-up singers to Harley Quinn even though Dinah was still there, and a highlight of that line-up.

I feel like Babs should always be there as it’s firmest strategist with Dinah. It’s her “Titans.”
    It doesn't seem like the Birds without Babs have really done all that well (movie, the Azzarello book, etc) and I don't expect that to be any different here, especially since none of the characters in this group have quite the same following even with Shiva and Katana.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Katana? Sure. Makes sense. Lady Shiva... Odd choice, but if balanced out, sure. The others... Why? Granted, not being slapped in the face with Harley being the lead, but wow. No Babs or Dinah either. Why?
    Dinah’s about to die ok Justice League.
    Babs already is busy with ongoing plots in two other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Dinah’s about to die ok Justice League.
    Babs already is busy with ongoing plots in two other titles.
    Death is about as serious in DC as it is in Dragon Ball.
    And Bruce is in like half or more of all the DC titles, somehow. So Babs being in 3 shouldn't be all that hard.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Yes. But DC's mismanagement of the Birds of Prey title is just dully predictable at this point. Though to be fair, so is their mismanagement of Titans...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It doesn't seem like the Birds without Babs have really done all that well (movie, the Azzarello book, etc) and I don't expect that to be any different here, especially since none of the characters in this group have quite the same following even with Shiva and Katana.
    And yet they keep throwing bad money after bad.

Honestly, at this point, I just want them to chill out on using the Birds of Prey name for five years, to let it rest, and then try again with the ACTUAL Birds (at least the Simone Trio).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    And yet they keep throwing bad money after bad.

Honestly, at this point, I just want them to chill out on using the Birds of Prey name for five years, to let it rest, and then try again with the ACTUAL Birds (at least the Simone Trio).
    I'm still waiting for Zinda to come back...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still waiting for Zinda to come back...
    Yes.

I am still bitter about what went down in Metal.

Will never forgive until she's back and has a cool story.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yes.

I am still bitter about what went down in Metal.

Will never forgive until she's back and has a cool story.
    I feel you .

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Birds of Prey is Oracle, Black Canary and Huntress. The farther they get from that core group the worse it gets.

Extraordinary Member

Even if you were open to a new team composition - like I was - the writing here was...not great. Not like I've read every appearance of Shiva ever but that didn't sound like her to me, almost felt like she was supposed to be a different character originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Even if you were open to a new team composition - like I was - the writing here was...not great. Not like I've read every appearance of Shiva ever but that didn't sound like her to me, almost felt like she was supposed to be a different character originally.
    Hard same. Shiva's voice felt really off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Completely agree. Katana wasn't bad, Miracle Molly doesn't have THAT distinct a voice yet, but Shiva was awful. I don't have context for Ghost, but she was really obnoxious, actually saying "red flags" like she's a walking zoomer meme. This comic continues to propel Urban Legends to the absolute rock bottom of my list of things to recommend or read. And that's saying something with a lineup includng Tini Howard's Catwoman.

Wow a lot of whining and complaining for something that's more than likely a one-off.

Glad to see Ghost is back, she's adorable, her design and the artist who co-created her was too good to waste

I've only read like less than 5 comics with Shiva and I can tell her voice was off based on what I knew about the character, as for Miracle Molly I don't care for her, and the artist messed up Ghost's very simple but cute design.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I think it's continuing into the next Urban Legends issue though?