Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Detective Comics #1050 Preview

Detective Comics #1050 Preview (Main Story)
    World's Finest Backup Preview
    Writer: Mariko Tamaki
    Artist: Ivan Reis
    Backup #1 Writer: Mark Waid
    Backup #1 Artist: Dan Mora
    Backup #2 Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Backup #2 Artist: Fernando Blanco

Last edited by Hypo; 01-21-2022 at 01:34 PM.

No Man's Land flashback! I guess they've basically rebooted Huntress to her Post-Crisis version again...with more tan skin.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No Man's Land flashback! I guess they've basically rebooted Huntress to her Post-Crisis version again...with more tan skin.
    The best origin! Well. If we're going with Cry for Blood. Year One is ok, but Cry for Blood is the masterpiece.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The best origin! Well. If we're going with Cry for Blood. Year One is ok, but Cry for Blood is the masterpiece.
    Yeah, Spyral Helena was fine for what she was, but she was never really Helena Bertinelli.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

A few more issues in and I'll make a "Shadows of the Bat" thread. I am legitimately loving this arc so far and it looks like there's more goodness to come.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    A few more issues in and I'll make a "Shadows of the Bat" thread. I am legitimately loving this arc so far and it looks like there's more goodness to come.
    There is actually one that was created when it was announced: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ows-of-the-Bat

Yeah, Spyral Helena was fine for what she was, but she was never really Helena Bertinelli.
    I mean, she is Helena Bertinelli, but she was a pale shadow of her to me. I'm glad to integrate her into Huntress's history, but if that was ALL, and that was her new backstory? No, pale shadow.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I mean, she is Helena Bertinelli, but she was a pale shadow of her to me. I'm glad to integrate her into Huntress's history, but if that was ALL, and that was her new backstory? No, pale shadow.
    I think Post-Crisis Helena was involved with the government at some points, but other than the name and crossbow/cross imagery, she was basically a 100% new character in the New 52.

I think Post-Crisis Helena was involved with the government at some points, but other than the name and crossbow/cross imagery, she was basically a 100% new character in the New 52.
    She got tangled up with Checkmate in a three-part Gotham Knights storyline, and Birds of Prey freed her from it. I could easily see some writer trying to conflate that with her Spyral time.

I disagree she was 100% new in Grayson - she had her love of teaching and her students as Matron, and she had her mob parents murdered in front of her backstory.

She got tangled up with Checkmate in a three-part Gotham Knights storyline, and Birds of Prey freed her from it. I could easily see some writer trying to conflate that with her Spyral time.

I disagree she was 100% new in Grayson - she had her love of teaching and her students as Matron, and she had her mob parents murdered in front of her backstory.
    Yeah, but how it was expressed and her overall mannerisms made it feel like a completely different character. Like the voice was very different.

Yeah, but how it was expressed and her overall mannerisms made it feel like a completely different character. Like the voice was very different.
    I think we've talked about this before for other characters. At this stage in my comics reading career, I don't expect voicing to really be that consistent from writer to writer. Sometimes it's nice to include verbal tics, as most writers do with Damian's TT, or Tynion did with King's Bat/Cat in #94, but on the whole, I just expect writers to write the voices they hear, and if I like them enough, they're fine.

I think we've talked about this before for other characters. At this stage in my comics reading career, I don't expect voicing to really be that consistent from writer to writer. Sometimes it's nice to include verbal tics, as most writers do with Damian's TT, or Tynion did with King's Bat/Cat in #94, but on the whole, I just expect writers to write the voices they hear, and if I like them enough, they're fine.
    I get that, but I feel like King/Seeley Helena had a very distinct voice and characterization that, to me, was different from Post-Crisis Helena. The Bensons tried to write a halfway version of both, albeit somewhat clunkily, while now it feels like writers are just writing her like Post-Crisis Helena again.

Robin in both backups was Dick, right? In the World's Finest story he had an all yellow cape, so it shouldn't be Tim, yet he also used a bo-staff, Tim's signature weapon, so that was confusing.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-25-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Robin in both backups was Dick, right? In the World's Finest story he had an all yellow cape, so it shouldn't be Tim, yet he also used a bo-staff, Tim's signature weapon, so that was confusing.
    In both stories it was Dick. He also behaved very much like Dick, imo.
    Waid already confirmed that Dick will be one of the regular character in World's finest.

I get that, but I feel like King/Seeley Helena had a very distinct voice and characterization that, to me, was different from Post-Crisis Helena. The Bensons tried to write a halfway version of both, albeit somewhat clunkily, while now it feels like writers are just writing her like Post-Crisis Helena again.
    It was different, yes, but I chalk that up to different styles. I like the way Tamaki's writing her now (I think she's really the only one), and I'd tend to agree that it's most like NML-era Helena. I like Tamaki's structuring and ideas a lot, but I'm not convinced her voicing is that strong. I think she tends to write a fairly standard 'comic book' style dialogue, similar to James Tynion or Scott Snyder (though Tynion's default voice tends to be significantly more cocky). I prefer either a writer who's REALLY good at voices, or who has a very strong recognizable style (like King or Bendis). Though I also enjoy a polished TV style like Bryan Q. Miller (which, as it's influenced heavily by Buffy, is similar to what Bendis tends to do). TV style tends to have a lot more wit and banter than standard comic book style, which tends to be a lot more serious and (if viewed unfairly critically) po-faced (overly self important).