Extraordinary Member

Default Justice League #71 Preview

Justice League #71 Preview
    Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
    Artist: Phil Hester
    Backup Writer: Ram V
    Backup Artist: Sumit Kumar

Hmmm, the Royal Flush gang, looks promising.

Hooked up for that all out battle

I guess I missed the last few chapters. Looks interesting tho
    The J-man

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

This is probably a dumb question, but I usually only read the Justice League Dark sections, so I have to ask: does this take place in the past?

Well, Bendis doing several fights with a bunch of random characters in splash pages is on-point.

Well, I suppose that three splash pages will be the only action the issue will have. In flashback, by the way.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Look, Robotman! Manhunter! Ice! Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle! Dr. Light! Atom-Smasher! Supergirl! OMAC! Fire! Dr. Fate in an old costume! Metamorpho! Trigon! Steel! Supergirl!

Does it make sense they're all there? Who knows. Will we get anything more with them than that? Probably not. But aren't random cameos fun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Look, Robotman! Manhunter! Ice! Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle! Dr. Light! Atom-Smasher! Supergirl! OMAC! Fire! Dr. Fate in an old costume! Metamorpho! Trigon! Steel! Supergirl!

Does it make sense they're all there? Who knows. Will we get anything more with them than that? Probably not. But aren't random cameos fun ?
    I am both confused and amused by DC's trouble in remembering who's Doctor Fate. Khalid Nassour has been Doctor Fate for two-three years straight and the character's story has been happening exclusively in one series (Justice League: Dark) There's no real excuse for getting it wrong. He's in one thing.

I thought it was stabilizing since while Teen Titans Academy and the Flash both drew him as white, they did at least get his costume right, but no. It's weird that it happens so often in Justice League series since not only does Justice League Dark serve as the back-up to that series, but the two teams reside in the same building and interact. You'd think editorial, or whoever handles that sort of thing, would be more observant. They've gotten it wrong more times than they've gotten it right (in fact, I think they've only gotten it right once)

By far the funniest time is in Justice League #68 where old-costume Doctor Fate appears on one page and then Khalid's Doctor Fate appears afterwards on the very next page (drawn terribly, I might add)

How does this happen?
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 01-22-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

It's the Bendis effect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    I am both confused and amused by DC's trouble in remembering who's Doctor Fate. Khalid Nassour has been Doctor Fate for two-three years straight and the character's story has been happening exclusively in one series (Justice League: Dark) There's no real excuse for getting it wrong. He's in one thing.

I thought it was stabilizing since while Teen Titans Academy and the Flash both drew him as white, they did at least get his costume right, but no. It's weird that it happens so often in Justice League series since not only does Justice League Dark serve as the back-up to that series, but the two teams reside in the same building and interact. You'd think editorial, or whoever handles that sort of thing, would be more observant. They've gotten it wrong more times than they've gotten it right (in fact, I think they've only gotten it right once)

By far the funniest time is in Justice League #68 where old-costume Doctor Fate appears on one page and then Khalid's Doctor Fate appears afterwards on the very next page (drawn terribly, I might add)

How does this happen?
    Oh weird I thought that literally meant there was more then one of them present...

I just bought issues 67 to 70 and will pull for a while now as I'm excited for 75 and the death of the Justice League event.

I just picked

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Oh weird I thought that literally meant there was more then one of them present...

I just bought issues 67 to 70 and will pull for a while now as I'm excited for 75 and the death of the Justice League event.

I just picked
    Nope, Khalid's even the only Doctor Fate alive since Kent Nelson - the previous Doctor Fate and Khalid's great-uncle - died in the Justice League Dark finale. I've always wondered if they threw in the "I'm one of them"-line to try to loosely cover for the mistake. The line does get a little amusing after the Flash issue where Khalid is basically breaking the fourth wall the whole time to get himself and the Flash out of danger (which was actually fun and creatively done) Maybe that's a secret power of his and he's using it here

I remember that issue of Bendis' Superman where not even the art could keep it consistent which Flash it was supposed to be (and I think the dialogue referenced it, which was kind of weird).

When an issue don't even get negative reactions, it seems than is doing a really bad work.

The closing chapter of JLD was great.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I will admit it I'm little bit confused on Justice League part. So the next three issues is around JL&JLD with LoSH crossover right? Kinda want it as some build up for Death of Justice League event