Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Superman & Robin Special #1 Preview

Superman & Robin Special #1
    Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
    Artist: Viktor Bogdanovic

Incredible Member

I really don't like the way Lois is portraying here, teasing Jon for still watching kid's shows and telling him to grow up (as if he hadn't been just 10 a few months ago at most from her perspective). Other than that, I like this a lot. Tomasi seems to be going all-in on acknowledging how much Jon lost of his childhood and how that's affected him, which after Bendis and Taylor and to a lesser degree PKJ royally ignoring it, it's very welcome. Love how the art is depicting Jon.

Ugh, this just makes me want Kid Jon again.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Yep. Between this and the Nightwing preview I'm even more bitter at what we lost. I didn't even think that was possible lol

Tomasi actually throwing shade for the age-up is kind of interesting. And actually got it past the editors too.

Still unsure if I want to go past the preview on this though.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I kind of liked how Damian has been occasionally drawn as older recently, such as in "Son of Kal-El" #1.
    I know some fans have been complaining that if that keeps up, and Tim keeps getting drawn to look young, then Damian may become older than Tim... but I would like if that actually happened.

Rather than Jon looking too old, I actually would like Damian to look older to match. Not as old as Jon, necessarily but older than he looks here. He seriously looks eight-to-twelve, whereas Jon looks like a college student. Definitely prefer the smaller age gap!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Tomasi actually throwing shade for the age-up is kind of interesting. And actually got it past the editors too.

Still unsure if I want to go past the preview on this though.
    The previews for this and Nightwing were all I needed. I don't have much of a need to go past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, I kind of liked how Damian has been occasionally drawn as older recently, such as in "Son of Kal-El" #1.
    I know some fans have been complaining that if that keeps up, and Tim keeps getting drawn to look young, then Damian may become older than Tim... but I would like if that actually happened.

Rather than Jon looking too old, I actually would like Damian to look older to match. Not as old as Jon, necessarily but older than he looks here. He seriously looks eight-to-twelve, whereas Jon looks like a college student. Definitely prefer the smaller age gap!
    Wasn't Son of Kal-El supposed to be Tim but got hastily redrawn last minute?

Was it really? Well that explains a lot about his apparent age, but it's not exactly great for my desires to see Tim as the Boy Wonder again and Damian as an Ex-Robin Young Man, haha!

Though I will say, their relationship in that issue sure sounded like the closeness between Damian and Jon. I can't really remember reading a book where JSK really interacts with Tim Drake before.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

when I think Superman and Robin this is not wo I think of.

So what's DC going to do when Clark comes back? Kill John?
    The J-man

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not the first issue..That was basically meant to be damian..only the latest issue after jon and tim came out
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Tomasi is definitely shading Jon's age up but technical for Jon, he was 10 literal seven years ago. He lived every one of those years. He didn’t blink them away like with his parents. That scene would have been more accurate if it was the other way round, Lois wanting him to watch his fav cartoon buy he points out he's outgrown them. I think with Clark they have managed to show Clark is still not over the age up by thinking of Jon as still being 10. This Lois scene is disingenuous to what actually happened on panel and unfortunately takes me out of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Tomasi is definitely shading Jon's age up but technical for Jon, he was 10 literal seven years ago. He lived every one of those years. He didn’t blink them away like with his parents. That scene would have been more accurate if it was the other way round, Lois wanting him to watch his fav cartoon buy he points out he's outgrown them. I think with Clark they have managed to show Clark is still not over the age up by thinking of Jon as still being 10. This Lois scene is disingenuous to what actually happened on panel and unfortunately takes me out of the moment.
    For writer,the character(tomasi's jon) and the people this book is aimed at.this is the truth.Jon didn't have those years.He was 10 one second and 17 the next.Heck! for many it was more like he was 10 one second and gone the next.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    For writer,the character(tomasi's jon) and the people this book is aimed at.this is the truth.Jon didn't have those years.He was 10 one second and 17 the next.Heck! for many it was more like he was 10 one second and gone the next.
    I get that but the characters themselves cannot speak what viewers think when it especially contradicts what was on panel. There's a way for Tomasi to voice his feelings but without breaking canon or whatever, like what they have done with Clark. It makes infinitely more sense for his parents to be angry within the story that he is their 10 Yr old in a 17 Yr old body. You can even go to town with that and lay it on thick by having other characters express similar opinion but for Jon, he(10) did not go to sleep one day and wake up the next as a 17 yr old. He has memories of every single day he's lived unlike everyone else, fans included. Let other characters be the mouth pieces of the readers because that actually makes sense than for Jon to pretend he didn't live seven years in an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I get that but the characters themselves cannot speak what viewers think when it especially contradicts what was on panel. There's a way for Tomasi to voice his feelings but without breaking canon or whatever, like what they have done with Clark. It makes infinitely more sense for his parents to be angry within the story that he is their 10 Yr old in a 17 Yr old body. You can even go to town with that and lay it on thick by having other characters express similar opinion but for Jon, he(10) did not go to sleep one day and wake up the next as a 17 yr old. He has memories of every single day he's lived unlike everyone else, fans included. Let other characters be the mouth pieces of the readers because that actually makes sense than for Jon to pretend he didn't live seven years in an alternate universe.
    But,i believe tomasi is more comfortable seeing jon as more his voice.Than using the parents characters for such purposes.Jon is more his chess piece he feels unlike lois or clark.