Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Pretty much this. From everything I've read it's like their relationship is a afterthought that's only used if it'll add drama to the story. The most obvious example was the Maunders issue. Why make up a sword no one had ever heard about and make it sacrosanct to the Wakandans then have Storm steal it? The Sword of Bone would have been perfect for her given its connection to Oshtur aka The Bright Lady . That's not even counting the fact that as a bonafide "Wakandan" Goddess they should of had little to no issue giving her the sword.

But that doesn't make for good drama.

I'm not saying Storm and BP could never ever work in a million years, but clearly no one is willing to give the characters the tools needed to make the relationship work so that at the very least the majority are satisfied.
    Actually, the Sword of Bone was connected to Agamotto and wielded by his avatar - - Cadaver, The Pale Horseman. Oshtur, only had a cursory connection to the Sword as seen in Mystic Arcana: Magik

Also see: Secret Defenders #16

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    lolol im ready to read this issue i need to know the tea
    Why would they need Wakanda? Xavier's daughter is running an alien empire and Sunspot's sleeping with her Aunt.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Why would they need Wakanda? Xavier's daughter is running an alien empire and Sunspot's sleeping with her Aunt.
    tchalla is the emperor of an entire futuristic galatic empire. he could certainly offer aid to arrakko
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    We don't know where this particular story is going but history has shown us how little Marvel cares to make this a good, healthy relationship.

The worst thing that could have happened is if Storm and BP did have a child. All we would have heard about was divided loyalties and the child being shunned as an outcast in Wakanda. Whatever plans Hickman had, just imagine what would happen once he left.

I have no faith in Marvel with Storm and BP as a couple.
    I’m 99% sure Marvel eventually said no to Hickman because they realized the optics of their premier black male superhero being an absent father weren’t great lol. If the replacement for the baby story was making her queen of a planet, I kinda assumed Hickman’s idea was to have Storm raise the kid on Krakoa while the Wakandans angled for the kid to return his dad. That’s an absolutely terrible look for T’Challa and arguably worse for Storm, especially if/when tensions between the two factions flared up.

Even if that wasn’t the reason, I still think Ridley is responsible for the plans not coming to fruition. Which may be a hint he plans on having the two characters separate altogether by the end of this arc. But you never know, maybe he’s the guy that makes the couple work for the modern era. Ewing isn’t nearly as possessive as other comic writers so it’s possible Ridley’s able to write T’Challa and Storm as a power couple in his book without stepping on anyone’s toes. And we’ve already seen the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda show up in SWORD so maybe there will be some connective tissue between both franchises. I tend to doubt it (and obviously I’m biased) but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’m 99% sure Marvel eventually said no to Hickman because they realized the optics of their premier black male superhero being an absent father weren’t great lol. If the replacement for the baby story was making her queen of a planet, I kinda assumed Hickman’s idea was to have Storm raise the kid on Krakoa while the Wakandans angled for the kid to return his dad. That’s an absolutely terrible look for T’Challa and arguably worse for Storm, especially if/when tensions between the two factions flared up.

Even if that wasn’t the reason, I still think Ridley is responsible for the plans not coming to fruition. Which may be a hint he plans on having the two characters separate altogether by the end of this arc. But you never know, maybe he’s the guy that makes the couple work for the modern era. Ewing isn’t nearly as possessive as other comic writers so it’s possible Ridley’s able to write T’Challa and Storm as a power couple in his book without stepping on anyone’s toes. And we’ve already seen the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda show up in SWORD so maybe there will be some connective tissue between both franchises. I tend to doubt it (and obviously I’m biased) but you never know.
    Thank goodness to Ridley for preventing a disaster from happening. If he works it out so they can be friends then great.

Anything beyond that requires effort and Marvel isn't going to put that work in unless it's to frak with it.

tchalla is the emperor of an entire futuristic galatic empire. he could certainly offer aid to arrakko
    Wouldn't mind seeing some Dora face off against some Arakki. H2H aid to keep up the cardiovascular system healthy.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

100% cosign on this!!! well the first part.

to the second part cant wait for you to read tomorrow's issue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing some Dora face off against some Arakki. H2H aid to keep up the cardiovascular system healthy.

lllol that would be dope
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

To be fair, we don’t know where the story is going. And we definitely don’t know what happened behind the scenes up until this point. I strongly suspect that towards the final stages of the Coates BP run, the two offices were working closely together on shared storylines but between abysmal sales and delays of Coates’ book and Ridley entering the fray, the plans got scrapped. Hence the last minute reversal on the Storm-BP child and Storm’s character getting a massive push in the X-books. Remember, the Regent of Arakko storyline is only happening because the plans to give her T’Challa’s baby were cut out.

Marvel has been pretty clear that Storm’s main character is situated within the X-books and with Hickman’s plans to unify Wakanda and Krakoa firmly out the window there’s still a high chance Ridley ends this arc with the two separated. And frankly, with Marvel not recasting T’Challa in the MCU the adaptation potential of the pairing, which apparently played a massive role in them being put together in the first place, is pretty much dead.

Besides, the story definitely set up separation with how T’Challa has been isolating himself from his friends and family. Plus with the whole theme of T’Challa’s spy program blowing up in his face, him and Storm breaking up after discovering he sent her favorite student to spy on her would definitely be a continuation of that. So the tensions established in prior books may end up getting paid off in this arc.
    Where and when was it said that Marvel had plans to script T'Challa and Ororo becoming pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Where and when was it said that Marvel had plans to script T'Challa and Ororo becoming pregnant?
    Recent X-plain the X-Men podcast, the one with Jonathan Hickman giving a post-Inferno interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thank goodness to Ridley for preventing a disaster from happening. If he works it out so they can be friends then great.

Anything beyond that requires effort and Marvel isn't going to put that work in unless it's to frak with it.
    I think Ororo and Tchalla need a lot more work before having a kid, also a much better story than what Hickman tried to do

not trying to spoil anything but I think you should wait to read this next issue before concluding its platonic lol. also maybe the bp offices didn't like the idea of tchalla being an absent father and not for them wanting him to just be her friend.
    personally speaking im glad Hickmans plan didn't pan out as a fan of the couple. I don't see ororo being ok with not being able to raise her child considering she lost her parents and was an orphan at such a young age.

and I still don't get the x of sword thing regarding storm stealing the sword. I can't imagine the current bp writer referencing it at all but I guess its best to wait and see.
    For me one of the things I look into a hero having a kid is them actually raising a kid. When Superman's son was aged up, it was a bummer
    Last edited by Writerblog; 01-25-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellscream View Post
    I hope for the best. But nothing in the past two issues really pulled me into it. Its all lukewarm.
    Agreed.....same here

Mighty Member

Good point, I agree

After finding out about the potential baby story and thinking about the connection between the x-office and bp office at the time and their talks etc it makes perfect sense to me now (and i admit this is all head canon) why BP was stalled and it's because that story was dropped. I can't unsee Coates foaming at the mouth the write Tchalla as a deadbeat dad to his out of wedlock son with Storm. Now i'm not saying that's a bad thing but i'm saying show me a show where a royal couple moves like that and it's suppose to be a good thing. Now to mention the image that puts forward for what would be one of the few high profile black couples. Again i admit this is all head spec but it just makes sense to me and i'm so glad it didn't happen.

Oh man, can you just imagine the intergalactic empire arc actually being ended by the unknown child of storm and bp riding in to save the day. like i just feel that script is unfortunately in existence somewhere. lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-26-2022 at 06:51 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    After finding out about the potential baby story and thinking about the connection between the x-office and bp office at the time and their talks etc it makes perfect sense to me now (and i admit this is all head canon) why BP was stalled and it's because that story was dropped. I can't unsee Coates foaming at the mouth the write Tchalla as a deadbeat dad to his out of wedlock son with Storm. Now i'm not saying that's a bad thing but i'm saying show me a show where a royal couple moves like that and it's suppose to be a good thing. Now to mention the image that puts forward for what would be one of the few high profile black couples. Again i admit this is all head spec but it just makes sense to me and i'm so glad it didn't happen.

Oh man, can you just imagine the intergalactic empire arc actually being ended by the unknown child of storm and bp riding in to save the day. like i just feel that script is unfortunately in existence somewhere. lol
    It would've been a PR nightmare. Storm and T'Challa owe their popularity in large part to being the exact opposite of black stereotypes, to saddle them with the biggest black stereotype of all is beyond dumb and short-sighted. For one, Black Panther will never be under the X-office or vice versa so just like with Storm you'd end up with this constant jockeying between two sets of creators to control the character, which as we've seen leads to shitty, contrived stories.

And it would've stunted the hell out of Storm as a character by making her a single mother, since from what we've heard she would've been the one to raise the kid when they returned from the World. Why bench or otherwise diminish your #1 black female character by giving her a child she didn't even raise with a man she fights with half the time? The least they could do is marry her first and give her some more agency in the whole thing.

I have no doubt Hickman would've approached it with some decency and maybe would've even told a good story. But I have zero trust that Marvel wouldn't eventually **** it up and I think they themselves knew that, which is why they shut the whole thing down. Hell, if Coates had any plans for the kid that alone would've messed up the story because he writes just the worst T'Challa.

spoilers:
    I'm not sure "Gentle is secretly a loyal sleeper agent for T'Challa" is really a case of love winning. Guess we'll have to wait for issue 4, though.
    end of spoilers