Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Team of DC's most popular heroes(?)

Just wondering who fans would think it would be?
    We all know Batman sells but the rest of the Bat family? Eh. Would you place Robin alongside him? If so, which one? Which Robin is the most popular?
    Would you use the characters currently popular due to the shows and movies? I'm not sure there's a huge portion of comic book readers who came about due to them but I could be wrong.
    Have any newer characters become popular? At all? For example is Jessica Cruz Green Lantern as popular or more popular than the others?
    Which Flash?
    Should an anti-hero like Harley Quinn be on the team?
    I like Martian Manhunter but even with his appearances in other media it's a stretch to say he's well known or popular. The same goes for Cyborg.

Okay, you get the point. 1 caveat-only 7 members.

Just going to throw out some names in alphabetical order. Whether you agree or disagree, let's have fun! ;-)

Aquaman (Arthur Curry)
    Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    Robin (Damian Wayne)
    Shazam! (Billy Batson)
    Superman (Clark Kent/Kal-El)
    The Flash (Barry Allen)
    Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)

So, I took the characters that are obvious standouts, then mixed them with characters that WB would want to push due to other media, etc.
    Batman (Bruce)
    Flash (Barry)
    Wonder Woman (Diana)
    Black Adam
    Superman (Clark)
    Aquaman (Arthur)
    Peacemaker

if you want true popularity these are the 8, based on studies and polls from searches to revenue generated.

Bruce Wayne
    Dick Grayson
    Superman
    Joker
    Harley Quinn
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman
    Flash (Wally or Barry it honestly wouldn't matter to the larger audience)

The bottom 3 are Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash. If it wasn't for his last movie Aquaman wouldn't have made the list, but supposedly he;s leapfrogged Wonder Woman and Flash. So if you really want to get nitpicky you can debate who between Wonder Woman and Flash you'd take off this team.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    if you want true popularity these are the 8, based on studies and polls from searches to revenue generated.

Bruce Wayne
    Dick Grayson
    Superman
    Joker
    Harley Quinn
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman

The bottom 3 are Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash. If it wasn't for his last movie Aquaman wouldn't have made the list, but supposedly he;s leapfrogged Wonder Woman and Flash. So if you really want to get nitpicky you can debate who between Wonder Woman and Flash you'd take off this team.
    Or maybe the Joker and Harley Quinn…if we take the “heroes” part seriously.

I take it your mixing multimedia with comic readers? If you add the general population who doesn't read comics than it is still the big six.

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Aquaman (Based on the movie. Sales wise he's always been touch and go)
    5. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) Still the most popular GL sales wise, and he did have a movie.
    6. Flash (Barry/Wally) I would argue Wally is more popular with comic readers, but Barry is known more in multimedia
    7. Green Arrow - Had an ongoing tv show, and historically has had very strong sales with specific writers (Grell, Smith)
    8. Nightwing - Remains one of the more consistently popular superheroes sales wise among readers
    9. Robin - Doesn't matter which one, the general population has no clue - they just no Robin.
    10. Harley Quinn - I can't stand her....but she has become one of DC's more popular trademarks.

Other heroes, despite recent multimedia exposure (TV shows, movies) are touch and go. They haven't consistently transferred over to comic sales despite having a spotlight....though Captain Marvel is pretty close.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    So, I took the characters that are obvious standouts, then mixed them with characters that WB would want to push due to other media, etc.
    Batman (Bruce)
    Flash (Barry)
    Wonder Woman (Diana)
    Black Adam
    Superman (Clark)
    Aquaman (Arthur)
    Peacemaker
    I had not even thought of Peacemaker. Maybe I couldn't see him?

I smell what your cookin' about Black Adam but his movie hasn't come out yet!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Bruce Wayne
    Dick Grayson
    Superman
    Joker
    Harley Quinn
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman

Aquaman Leapfrogged? Is that a pun? lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I take it your mixing multimedia with comic readers? If you add the general population who doesn't read comics than it is still the big six.

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Aquaman (Based on the movie. Sales wise he's always been touch and go)
    5. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) Still the most popular GL sales wise, and he did have a movie.
    6. Flash (Barry/Wally) I would argue Wally is more popular with comic readers, but Barry is known more in multimedia
    7. Green Arrow - Had an ongoing tv show, and historically has had very strong sales with specific writers (Grell, Smith)
    8. Nightwing - Remains one of the more consistently popular superheroes sales wise among readers
    9. Robin - Doesn't matter which one, the general population has no clue - they just no Robin.
    10. Harley Quinn - I can't stand her....but she has become one of DC's more popular trademarks.

Other heroes, despite recent multimedia exposure (TV shows, movies) are touch and go. They haven't consistently transferred over to comic sales despite having a spotlight....though Captain Marvel is pretty close.
    #5. True. However,John Stewart is well known due to the JL/JLU animated series. So much so that when they announced a GL movie a number of fans wonder why a white guy was playing him.

#8. Exactly. Unless they have also seen the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series most have no idea about Nightwing.

#10. I don't get it either.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    #5. True. However,John Stewart is well known due to the JL/JLU animated series. So much so that when they announced a GL movie a number of fans wonder why a white guy was playing him.

#8. Exactly. Unless they have also seen the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series most have no idea about Nightwing.

Pretty much most of these lists amount to “Justice league but with a Robin and Harley Quinn in it. I’d say that Harley is a fad character but she’s been popular for to long for that to be the case. I feel she fits niche that no other character at DC has successfully filled “the manic antihero”. Lobo attempted to fill this role but I feel he is too much “of his time” and really didn’t transcend the 90’s the way Harley did. Plus you had an industry looking to push female characters, so you essentially kill two birds with one stone.

Incredible Member

Titans, basically a Nightwing show, was among Netflix most viewed shows last month. Lots of people who never heard of Young Justice watched Titans.

5# Yes, John Stewart comes in a strong second for GL's. The JLA animated series gave him cred to a whole new generation....he wasn't well known before that. Though I am old enough to have read Mosaic back in the day.

8# I am amazed at how consistently popular Nightwing remains with such little multi media exposure....DC might want to take a look at it.

10# Ditto. As long as they keep her away from Birds of Prey as far as possible I'm good.

I guess I would go with characters that not just sell well but have mainstream and merch success.

Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash (Barry because of the tv show and movie)
    Nightwing
    Robin (Damian)
    Green Arrow
    Green Lantern (toss up between Hal and John)
    Aquaman
    Batgirl (Babs)
    Supergirl
    Poison Ivy
    Shazam
    Cyborg
    Beast Boy
    Raven
    Starfire

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    5# Yes, John Stewart comes in a strong second for GL's. The JLA animated series gave him cred to a whole new generation....he wasn't well known before that. Though I am old enough to have read Mosaic back in the day.

8# I am amazed at how consistently popular Nightwing remains with such little multi media exposure....DC might want to take a look at it.

10# Ditto. As long as they keep her away from Birds of Prey as far as possible I'm good.
    Nightwing is possibly one of DC’s top 5 most popular characters and WB still hasn’t taken advantage of this potential cash cow by making a live action movie. They keep focusing on Batman and get cold feet when his sidekicks come up because it makes him less “dark” and “real world”. The only time it was done was in the campy Schumacher flicks and I’m sure that turned a lot of execs off on the concept.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-22-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I guess I would go with characters that not just sell well but have mainstream and merch success.

Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Nightwing
    Robin (Damian)
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Batgirl (Babs)
    Supergirl
    Poison Ivy
    Shazam
    Cyborg
    Beast Boy
    Raven
    Starfire

Nightwing is possibly one of DC’s top 5 most popular characters and WB still hasn’t taken advantage of this potential cash cow by making a live action movie. They keep focusing on Batman and get cold feet when his sidekicks come up because it makes him less “dark” and “real world”. The only time it was done was in the campy Schumacher flicks and I’m sure that turned a lot of execs off on the concept.
    I agree. That or spin off show from the Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Titans, basically a Nightwing show, was among Netflix most viewed shows last month. Lots of people who never heard of Young Justice watched Titans.
    Oh,yeah I forgot about TITANS the live action show. From clips I've seen it's probably not for me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Nightwing
    Robin (Damian)
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Batgirl (Babs)
    Supergirl
    Poison Ivy
    Shazam
    Cyborg
    Beast Boy
    Raven
    Starfire

Are Cyborg,Beast Boy,Raven and Starfire popular enough on their own to be called successful? Seems like their popularity is due to them being a group of their own.

Batgirl Barbara Gordon is a well known image-the attractive young woman with red flowing hair- but is she that popular outside of comic books? When was the last time she was used?