Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Really, its the Justice League 7+ Dick Grayson (between Titans, animated Teen Titans, and animated Young Justice, he has a huge following). Batgirl Barbara Gordon is popular, though a certain element from the DCAU and even Killing Joke have made people cautious about her being around Bruce.

Harley Quinn, I'm just so over her as a whole. And while, yes, the comics are trying to turn her good, her lack of remorse for past crimes in just about every universe is still a big red flag.

Once, that book was called JLA, by Grant Morrison and Howard Porter. Nowadays, the way DC is going, the line-up would go like this:

Batman
    Batman
    Batman
    Batman
    Batman
    Batman
    and to round up the team, Batman.

Peace

EDIT: Reading back, I see that j9ac9k went with something similar, but I was more radical.
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-25-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It would be a team comprised of:
    -- Batman
    -- Batman
    -- Batman
    -- Batman
    -- Batman
    -- Harley Quin
    -- Dick Grayson
    -- Batman
    So . . .

Michael Keaton
    Kevin Conroy
    Val Kilmer
    George Clooney
    Christian Bale
    Margot Robbie
    Chris O'Donnell
    Ben Affleck

I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Or maybe the Joker and Harley Quinn…if we take the “heroes” part seriously.
    eh, heroes are subjective. Everyone's the hero of their own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Are Cyborg,Beast Boy,Raven and Starfire popular enough on their own to be called successful? Seems like their popularity is due to them being a group of their own.

Batgirl Barbara Gordon is a well known image-the attractive young woman with red flowing hair- but is she that popular outside of comic books? When was the last time she was used?
    Like the X-men they are tied together, but that still doesn't mean they don't have name recognition. They've got years of cartoons and live action show appearances which have garnered them a substantial amount of recognition. I'm not sure if any scratch the top 7 outside of Dick Grayson, but the main members all probably make the top 15 or 20 comfortably

Batgirl is hard to guage. She was on the Adam West show and the animated series, but I wouldn't rate her as high until her movie comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Really, its the Justice League 7+ Dick Grayson (between Titans, animated Teen Titans, and animated Young Justice, he has a huge following). Batgirl Barbara Gordon is popular, though a certain element from the DCAU and even Killing Joke have made people cautious about her being around Bruce.

Harley Quinn, I'm just so over her as a whole. And while, yes, the comics are trying to turn her good, her lack of remorse for past crimes in just about every universe is still a big red flag.
    Harley Quinn is on th elist she's being pushed on all fronts.

It is not the Justice League 7. Martian Manhunter does not make this list.
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So . . .

Michael Keaton
    Kevin Conroy
    Val Kilmer
    George Clooney
    Christian Bale
    Margot Robbie
    Chris O'Donnell
    Ben Affleck

I'll take it!
    LOL That's great! Like the newest Spider-Man movie only, obviously, with Batmen!

Incredible Member

Honestly, I'm not convinced people know Nightwing the way some of you want to believe. For example, could they tell you his origin the way people know Batman's?

Someone above mentioned Martian Manhunter. Maybe more would know him if he was attached to Batman too? He was a detective you know? lol

Also kind of disappointed no one mentioned Hawkman. Poor guy never gets enough attention. Was hoping for more exposure from the Legends of Tomorrow show but him and Hawkgirl were only there 1 season.

I, and a lot of people, may joke about a team of DC's current most popular heroes being comprised almost exclusively of Batman, but, seriously, it's the impression DC sometimes seems determined to pass to its readership. You don't have to judge by current solicits, which well over 50% are Bat-related books. DC's printing story actually surpasses Marvel's. Marvel is often reprinting books from the 70's, 80's, 90's etc... (I can't express how much I enjoy the Epic Collection), in various formats, most of them quite affordable. DC? Not so much. I mean, the number of collected runs that are interrupted in the middle is astronomical. I mean, the 90's Young Justice was interrupted with one single volume to go before completing the collection. How disrespectful is that with your reader? Ostrander and Mandrake's Spectre (award-winning) and Martian Manhunter, DnA Legion, Levitz's LSH, JLI, Marz and Banks GL, Kesel and Grumett's Superboy, and so on, and on and on. As for the number of incredible best-selling books that were never reprinted, we have Roy Thomas All-Star Squadron, JLI Breakdowns, Gerad Jones JLE and JLA, Devin Grayson's Titans, Baxter series Outsiders, Barr and Pelletier's Outsiders, Messener-Loebs Flash, so many arcs of the Triangle era Superman, Bates, Weismann and Broderick's Captain Atom, Busiek's Power Company, and so, so many others. Imagine how many new fans for many relaunched proprieties you could get by intoducing readers to affordable collections of these classics. However, even in reprints, DC focussess more on the Batman than on anything else. It's like they don't even have such a vast universe and history.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 02-05-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Do you guys think the post crisis shift to celebrating the 'original universe' and the 7 legends hampered the growth of the DCU in the long run?

I’d have to say the Big 7/8 are

Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    Green Arrow
    Nightwing
    Cyborg
    Captain Marvel

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I, and a lot pof people may joke about a team of DC's current most popular heroes being comprised almost exclusively of Batman, but, seriously, it's the impression DC sometimes seems determined to pass to it's readership. You don't have to judge by current solicits, which well over 50% are Bat-related books. DC's printing story actually surpasses Marvel's. Marvel is often reprinting books from the 70's, 80's, 90's etc... (I can't express how much I enjoy the Epic Collection), in various formats, most of them quite affordable. DC? Not so much. I mean, the number of collected runs that are interrupted in the middle is astronomical. I mean, the 90's Young Justice was interrupted with one single volume to go before completing the collection. How disrespectful is that with your reader? Ostrander and Mandrake's Spectre (award-winning) and Martian Manhunter, DnA Legion, Levitz's LSH, JLI, Marz and Banks GL, Kesel and Grumett's Superboy, and so on, and on and on. As for the number of incredible best-selling books that were never reprinted, we have Roy Thomas All-Star Squadron, JLI Breakdowns, Gerad Jones JLE and JLA, Devin Grayson's Titans, Baxter series Outsiders, Barr and Pelletier's Outsiders, Messener-Loebs Flash, so many arcs of the Triangle era Superman, Bates, Weismann and Broderick's Captain Atom, Busiek's Power Company, and so, so many others. Imagine how many new fans for many relaunched proprieties you could get by intoducing readers to affordable collections of these classics. However, even in reprints, DC focussess more on the Batman than on anything else. It's like they don't even have such a vast universe and history.

Peace
    Amen! I agree!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Do you guys think the post crisis shift to celebrating the 'original universe' and the 7 legends hampered the growth of the DCU in the long run?
    Do you mean the original Crisis?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’d have to say the Big 7/8 are

Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    Green Arrow
    Nightwing
    Cyborg
    Captain Marvel
    Cyborg? Really? How so?

Incredible Member

Do fans of a certain age still remember the animated show, STATIC SHOCK? Static was popular for a while there due to that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Cyborg? Really? How so?
    Yeah. His being a founding member of the League in a different timeline, plus the Teen Titans show, and his role in Injustice. I’d say his popularity has increased.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Yeah. His being a founding member of the League in a different timeline, plus the Teen Titans show, and his role in Injustice. I’d say his popularity has increased.
    Maybe. Usually when I mention him others will ask why was he even included in the New 52 JL and not Teen Titans.