View Poll Results: Should superheroes kill?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-the bad guys won't stop otherwise

    2 8.33%
  • No-killing is wrong

    5 20.83%
  • It depends on the situations

    16 66.67%
  • Who cares-this is fiction

    1 4.17%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    298

    Default Should Batman (or any superhero, for that matter) kill?

    The latest episode of the new show Peacemaker brought up a debate that everyone has been talking about for years, if not decades: Should Batman kill? In Peacemaker's opinion, he should be, because then there wouldn't be so many villains walking in and out of Arkham. There are a lot of fans who feel this way. This has extended to other superheroes as well. The last new episode of the Flash had the team divided over whether or not to let Thawne die, and a lot of fans felt that they should have.
    The act of killing is not one to take lightly, though. The Punisher in Marvel Comics is seen as a bad guy because he kills people.

    https://comicbook.com/dc/news/should...ation-podcast/

    The question is: Should any superhero kill?

  2. #2

    Default

    I rather they do the Jessica Jones path. She spends the first season exhausting every option in dealing with Killgrave before killing him in the finale. But it depends on the character, tone, demographic etc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2022 at 10:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I rather they do the Jessica Jones path. She spends the first season exhausting every option in dealing with Killgrave before killing him in the finale. But it depends on the character, tone, demographic etc.
    This. 100%. It depends but usually comes off better as a last resort IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,190

    Default

    If no other options exist, yes.

    Granted, this wouldn't even be a debate if writers would stop increasing the villain body count.

  5. #5
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    3

    Default

    yes. Batman can kill or any other Superheroes can kill, It depend on the story that how they defines some character and his role.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member ERON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I think it should depend on the character. Not every character is cut from the same cloth. You can have some characters who never kill no matter what (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man), others who will take a life as a last resort (Wonder Woman, Captain America), and still others for whom killing is second nature (Wolverine, Deadpool).

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member TheRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I would say no. These heroes already technically operate outside the law, so it wouldn’t be legally right for them to kill. I’d argue morally as well, but I understand the other side of this argument. For some heroes, it would simply be out of character for them to kill, like, I would say, Batman. I feel like people often forget that this is comics and that, even if they did kill, the problem wouldn’t be gone. Characters are resurrected all the time and the multiverse exists and interacts with the main timeline on a consistent basis as well.

  8. #8
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,986

    Default

    I think my bigger issue with Batman is when he used guns ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #9
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    26,376

    Default

    They should definitely kill any writers and editors who screw them over.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I would say no. These heroes already technically operate outside the law, so it wouldn’t be legally right for them to kill. I’d argue morally as well, but I understand the other side of this argument. For some heroes, it would simply be out of character for them to kill, like, I would say, Batman. I feel like people often forget that this is comics and that, even if they did kill, the problem wouldn’t be gone. Characters are resurrected all the time and the multiverse exists and interacts with the main timeline on a consistent basis as well.
    This right here!

    I can see the need to do it. The Joker about to kill a bunch of people.

    But the real question is not Why Does The Batman not kill The joker. it is why does a Gotham City cop not put three rounds into The Jokers head when he has the chance. There have been several times the police have Joker surrounded with guns drawn. Just shoot his ass. Dont do the Freeze get on the ground crap. The know who and what he is. Put a bullet in him!
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member TheRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Joker is more valuable to anyone, other than Batman, alive. GCPD wouldn’t kill him for the same reasons Batman doesn’t. Only somebody who would kill Joker in self-defense would actually go through with it, but Joker would never put himself in that position. Joker routinely goes toe to toe with the worlds greatest detective, he’s not just going to let Steve Dotreeve get the drop on him.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Joker is more valuable to anyone, other than Batman, alive. GCPD wouldn’t kill him for the same reasons Batman doesn’t. Only somebody who would kill Joker in self-defense would actually go through with it, but Joker would never put himself in that position. Joker routinely goes toe to toe with the worlds greatest detective, he’s not just going to let Steve Dotreeve get the drop on him.
    The world's greatest detective is generally not trying to kill the Joker.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This right here!

    I can see the need to do it. The Joker about to kill a bunch of people.

    But the real question is not Why Does The Batman not kill The joker. it is why does a Gotham City cop not put three rounds into The Jokers head when he has the chance. There have been several times the police have Joker surrounded with guns drawn. Just shoot his ass. Dont do the Freeze get on the ground crap. The know who and what he is. Put a bullet in him!
    Gotham City cops are known to be corrupt, incompetent or some combination of both. No one asks this question of them because we know they'd screw it up and they aren't the main protagonists anyway.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member TheRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    The thing is we do know that every superhero has their limit and can be pushed to kill. But they realize it’s such an easy solution to the problem that they keep on doing it and things spiral fast.

  15. #15
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    I really enjoy a no-kill policy in general for heroes because it provides complexity to a story by having the hero struggle with actions that will have consequences. Also you can say more about culture and morality with a storyline this way.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •