View Poll Results: Should superheroes kill?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-the bad guys won't stop otherwise

2 8.33%
  • No-killing is wrong

5 20.83%
  • It depends on the situations

16 66.67%
  • Who cares-this is fiction

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Should Batman (or any superhero, for that matter) kill?

The latest episode of the new show Peacemaker brought up a debate that everyone has been talking about for years, if not decades: Should Batman kill? In Peacemaker's opinion, he should be, because then there wouldn't be so many villains walking in and out of Arkham. There are a lot of fans who feel this way. This has extended to other superheroes as well. The last new episode of the Flash had the team divided over whether or not to let Thawne die, and a lot of fans felt that they should have.
    The act of killing is not one to take lightly, though. The Punisher in Marvel Comics is seen as a bad guy because he kills people.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/should...ation-podcast/

The question is: Should any superhero kill?

I rather they do the Jessica Jones path. She spends the first season exhausting every option in dealing with Killgrave before killing him in the finale. But it depends on the character, tone, demographic etc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2022 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I rather they do the Jessica Jones path. She spends the first season exhausting every option in dealing with Killgrave before killing him in the finale. But it depends on the character, tone, demographic etc.
    This. 100%. It depends but usually comes off better as a last resort IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

If no other options exist, yes.

Granted, this wouldn't even be a debate if writers would stop increasing the villain body count.

All-New Member

yes. Batman can kill or any other Superheroes can kill, It depend on the story that how they defines some character and his role.

I think it should depend on the character. Not every character is cut from the same cloth. You can have some characters who never kill no matter what (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man), others who will take a life as a last resort (Wonder Woman, Captain America), and still others for whom killing is second nature (Wolverine, Deadpool).

I would say no. These heroes already technically operate outside the law, so it wouldn’t be legally right for them to kill. I’d argue morally as well, but I understand the other side of this argument. For some heroes, it would simply be out of character for them to kill, like, I would say, Batman. I feel like people often forget that this is comics and that, even if they did kill, the problem wouldn’t be gone. Characters are resurrected all the time and the multiverse exists and interacts with the main timeline on a consistent basis as well.

I think my bigger issue with Batman is when he used guns ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

They should definitely kill any writers and editors who screw them over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I would say no. These heroes already technically operate outside the law, so it wouldn’t be legally right for them to kill. I’d argue morally as well, but I understand the other side of this argument. For some heroes, it would simply be out of character for them to kill, like, I would say, Batman. I feel like people often forget that this is comics and that, even if they did kill, the problem wouldn’t be gone. Characters are resurrected all the time and the multiverse exists and interacts with the main timeline on a consistent basis as well.
    This right here!

I can see the need to do it. The Joker about to kill a bunch of people.

But the real question is not Why Does The Batman not kill The joker. it is why does a Gotham City cop not put three rounds into The Jokers head when he has the chance. There have been several times the police have Joker surrounded with guns drawn. Just shoot his ass. Dont do the Freeze get on the ground crap. The know who and what he is. Put a bullet in him!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Joker is more valuable to anyone, other than Batman, alive. GCPD wouldn’t kill him for the same reasons Batman doesn’t. Only somebody who would kill Joker in self-defense would actually go through with it, but Joker would never put himself in that position. Joker routinely goes toe to toe with the worlds greatest detective, he’s not just going to let Steve Dotreeve get the drop on him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Joker is more valuable to anyone, other than Batman, alive. GCPD wouldn’t kill him for the same reasons Batman doesn’t. Only somebody who would kill Joker in self-defense would actually go through with it, but Joker would never put himself in that position. Joker routinely goes toe to toe with the worlds greatest detective, he’s not just going to let Steve Dotreeve get the drop on him.
    The world's greatest detective is generally not trying to kill the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This right here!

I can see the need to do it. The Joker about to kill a bunch of people.

But the real question is not Why Does The Batman not kill The joker. it is why does a Gotham City cop not put three rounds into The Jokers head when he has the chance. There have been several times the police have Joker surrounded with guns drawn. Just shoot his ass. Dont do the Freeze get on the ground crap. The know who and what he is. Put a bullet in him!
    Gotham City cops are known to be corrupt, incompetent or some combination of both. No one asks this question of them because we know they'd screw it up and they aren't the main protagonists anyway.

The thing is we do know that every superhero has their limit and can be pushed to kill. But they realize it’s such an easy solution to the problem that they keep on doing it and things spiral fast.

I really enjoy a no-kill policy in general for heroes because it provides complexity to a story by having the hero struggle with actions that will have consequences. Also you can say more about culture and morality with a storyline this way.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.