Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1

    Default Gonna read every single Marvel superhero comic book story ever published

    And chart my progress in this thread.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,496

    Default

    How far back? Pre marvel ww2? Also what about third party hero stuff like defenders of the earth, mighty mouse and thundercats?

    Good luck. Can't wait to hear your reviews.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    How far back? Pre marvel ww2? Also what about third party hero stuff like defenders of the earth, mighty mouse and thundercats?
    As far back as Marvel Comics #1 (Aug 1939). No third-party stuff, just Marvel's own. Except for Rom the Space Knight. He started out as a toy but became a part of the Marvel Multiverse.

    Good luck. Can't wait to hear your reviews.
    Thanks. I won't really be doing reviews as I'm no good at them but I will point out all the really silly, crappy stuff.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    As far back as Marvel Comics #1 (Aug 1939). No third-party stuff, just Marvel's own. Except for Rom the Space Knight. He started out as a toy but became a part of the Marvel Multiverse.
    OMG! I LOVE ROM!! Glad he's included. How about Death's Head? Since he started out in Transformers (Marvel U.K. version):

    Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Thanks. I won't really be doing reviews as I'm no good at them but I will point out all the really silly, crappy stuff.
    Good luck! Looking forward to your thoughts!!
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-22-2022 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

  5. #5
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    You gonna die

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Best of luck. I started in chronological. Read from Kull to the Hyborean age to the wild west. Then I stopped around 1941 or 42 published year because the Golden Age era is very boring. Then I read anything that is pre-FF and stopped at 1969. Not because it's boring but because
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You gonna die
    At 45 years old, I don't think I have enough years on earth to read everything in the 616 universe so I'm just going to read whatever sounds interesting.

  7. #7
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,564

    Default

    Dang my dude sincerely good luck!

    I personally couldn't even get through some runs that are from the 80's let alone from the Golden Age.

    At least you can technically stop at Hickman's Secret Wars where the 616 actually ended.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! I LOVE ROM!! Glad he's included. How about Death's Head? Since he started out in Transformers (Marvel UK version):
    Seems he's kind of a part of the Marvel Multiverse too. If the Marvel UK stuff is available on the Marvel Unlimited app, then yeah.

    Good luck! Looking forward to your thoughts!!
    Thanks!!!

    Just finished Marvel Comics #1. First story was the first appearance of the Golden Age Human Torch. In 1939... 1939... some old scientist named Phineas... Phineas... creates an android that would put Data to shame. He looks exactly like a human, acts exactly like a human, thinks exactly like a human, feels exactly like a human, and speaks exactly like a human. But if ya get air on him, he bursts into flame. But he doesn't burn up, oh no. Get the air off him and the flames will go right out. But then he conveniently, somehow, uses a nitrogen tank to learn how to mentally turn the flame on and off. I have to wonder what kinds of drugs the character's creator, Carl Burgos, was on at the time and how much of them he was taking.

    Then there was the Golden Age Angel, a homicidal vigilante in a knockoff Superman costume but no super powers and no secret identity. No origin story; no explanation of why he wears the knockoff Superman costume; not even a real name.

    Then there was the first published appearance of Namor the Sub-Mariner. I really have to wonder what Bill Everett was thinking when he came up with this guy. Did he see him as a villain or a hero? He's a mass-murderer but, apparently, that's OK because he's murdering white men to avenge murders other white men committed without knowing it. And why does his skin and his cousin Dorma's skin change to normal human colour when they're not underwater? When they are underwater, they're blue. And, in one scene, Namor's green.

    And, finally, I read the first comic book appearance of the Golden Age Ka-Zar the Great. Nothing original. Just a total ripoff of Tarzan. With the racism typical of Golden Age comic books.
    Last edited by James T. Kirk; 01-22-2022 at 09:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,496

    Default

    No third-party stuff, just Marvel's own. Except for Rom the Space Knight. He started out as a toy but became a part of the Marvel Multiverse.
    Rom
    micronauts
    conan
    kull
    red sonja
    soloman kaine
    shogun warriors
    human fly
    us1
    team america
    meteor man
    Alf Annuel 1
    Dr who (in another universe but goes to the main universe at times)
    tarzan
    Shang chi master of kung-fu
    john carter of mars
    shadow (a full one issue!)
    guiding light heroes
    nightcat
    2001 machine man
    kiss
    NFL superpro
    Godzilla
    among other 3rd party titles are canon with the main universe.

    Then there is the transformers and gijoe mess where spidey, nick fury, dum dum, savage land, roxxon, alien suit (and godzilla nod) had roles plus circuit breaker in secret wars talking about shockwave in main universe comic, hawk in issues of spider-man and shang chi, quick kick crossover saying these comics are still canon in some way! (what a mess. Marvel should just have left them canon when they started showing up in spider-man!)

    Out of these titles shang chi, rom and micronauts and ironic the first 16 issues of transformers have the most ties with the main universe. Meteor man does cross over with the night thrasher comic (and spidey shows up) and kiss fights dr doom and dr droid. Godzilla has tons of marvel heroes also.

    But rom, shang chi and micronauts are the big ones. Conan is in the past but great read also. Godzilla does have many marvel heroes in it.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-22-2022 at 09:09 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You gonna die
    Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Best of luck.
    Thanks.

    I started in chronological. Read from Kull to the Hyborean age to the wild west. Then I stopped around 1941 or 42 published year because the Golden Age era is very boring. Then I read anything that is pre-FF and stopped at 1969. Not because it's boring but because
    L


    At 45 years old, I don't think I have enough years on earth to read everything in the 616 universe so I'm just going to read whatever sounds interesting.
    I'm going in publication order because it would just take too long to sort everything chronologically. Have no idea how many years it'll take but at least it'll be at least somewhat interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Dang my dude sincerely good luck!
    Thanks!

    I personally couldn't even get through some runs that are from the 80's let alone from the Golden Age.

    At least you can technically stop at Hickman's Secret Wars where the 616 actually ended.
    lol god knows how long it'll take me to get that far.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Rom
    micronauts
    conan
    kull
    red sonja
    soloman kaine
    shogun warriors
    human fly
    us1
    team america
    meteor man
    Alf Annuel 1
    Dr who (in another universe but goes to the main universe at times)
    tarzan
    Shang chi master of kung-fu
    john carter of mars
    shadow (a full one issue!)
    guiding light heroes
    nightcat
    2001 machine man
    kiss
    NFL superpro
    Godzilla
    among other 3rd party titles are canon with the main universe.

    Then there is the transformers and gijoe mess where spidey, nick fury, dum dum, savage land, roxxon, alien suit (and godzilla nod) had roles plus circuit breaker in secret wars talking about shockwave in main universe comic, hawk in issues of spider-man and shang chi, quick kick crossover saying these comics are still canon in some way! (what a mess. Marvel should just have left them canon when they started showing up in spider-man!)

    Out of these titles shang chi, rom and micronauts and ironic the first 16 issues of transformers have the most ties with the main universe. Meteor man does cross over with the night thrasher comic (and spidey shows up) and kiss fights dr doom and dr droid. Godzilla has tons of marvel heroes also.

    But rom, shang chi and micronauts are the big ones. Conan is in the past but great read also. Godzilla does have many marvel heroes in it.
    lol Oh wow. I had forgotten about the Micronauts but I'm not gonna read any third-party stuff that didn't become a consistent part of the Marvel Multiverse all the way up until today. Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, the Doctor and the like haven't shown up in many stories over many years so fuck them.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Good luck with that, I know I'd never bother, I can barely tolerate reading one writer's full run from one comic in silver age.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

  13. #13

    Default

    Learned two things from reading Marvel Mystery Comics #2. If ya wanna put out a fire like the Golden Age Human Torch does, just yell out, "YERROOO". Or if ya've got an Atlantean like Namor to hand, ya can use them like a human sprinkler.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Good luck with that, I know I'd never bother, I can barely tolerate reading one writer's full run from one comic in silver age.
    Thanks. That a dig at Stan Lee?

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Learned two things from reading Marvel Mystery Comics #2. If ya wanna put out a fire like the Golden Age Human Torch does, just yell out, "YERROOO". Or if ya've got an Atlantean like Namor to hand, ya can use them like a human sprinkler.
    Hopefully the second one isn't someone trying to use Namor like a sprinkler, he probably killed people for less lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Thanks. That a dig at Stan Lee?
    More or less? I mean I know that because of Marvel method, he had a basic idea for a plot, and the artist came up with the details of what the plot was gonna have, then Stan Lee wrote the dialogue, and while it's mostly vague how much who did what, I can't only blame him for writing issues, artists like Kirby or Ditko should also be taking the blame in crap issues lol.

    A few days ago I was reading Thor comics, and man the Anti-Communist issues are easily the most boring ones, just, bland patriotism and boring villains for the most part in those, at least they're short reads.

    X-Men also showed me that such writing issues weren't only limited to them, 'cause after Lee and Kirby leave in issue#19, the next writers keep up the same "Meh" feel X-Men had, but admitedly I stopped at #22, and I hear it improves even before Claremont comes around.

    So yeah, short version is the style at the time isn't something I enjoy when binge reading, character writing definitely didn't age well too, but there can still be fun stuff here and there with the absurd plots.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •