Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

lol Oh wow. I had forgotten about the Micronauts but I'm not gonna read any third-party stuff that didn't become a consistent part of the Marvel Multiverse all the way up until today
    Then you need to add Micronauts. Captain universe first shows up, microverse/ quantum realm used in ant-man movie, bug has role in later gotg and was almost in the first movie. Ties with x-men and crossover mini, dr doom ties, micron city was in ant-man and wasp movie (it's where she was living in the film), wasp spends a year there in the comics during bendis era, spidey had a 4 part Annuel with them in the 90s, fantastic four has nods to them at times. Etc.

Godzilla does have red ronin, avengers, nick fury, champions, devil dino, and others and godzilla cameos in bendis avengers book but you can as just read the wiki pages on what went on and skip it. Many of those listed you can other then rom Micronauts, and shang chi.

Also forgot doc savage in that list. Short lived series but it did crossover with marvel two in one but main series can be skipped.

The less said about NFL superpro the better.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-23-2022 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Hopefully the second one isn't someone trying to use Namor like a sprinkler, he probably killed people for less lol.
    lol No. Some woman accidentally sets her own dress on fire and when he tries to help, he finds that his body just naturally acts as a sprinkler and douses the flames. A sexual metaphor? Maybe...

More or less? I mean I know that because of Marvel method, he had a basic idea for a plot, and the artist came up with the details of what the plot was gonna have, then Stan Lee wrote the dialogue, and while it's mostly vague how much who did what, I can't only blame him for writing issues, artists like Kirby or Ditko should also be taking the blame in crap issues lol.

A few days ago I was reading Thor comics, and man the Anti-Communist issues are easily the most boring ones, just, bland patriotism and boring villains for the most part in those, at least they're short reads.

X-Men also showed me that such writing issues weren't only limited to them, 'cause after Lee and Kirby leave in issue#19, the next writers keep up the same "Meh" feel X-Men had, but admitedly I stopped at #22, and I hear it improves even before Claremont comes around.

So yeah, short version is the style at the time isn't something I enjoy when binge reading, character writing definitely didn't age well too, but there can still be fun stuff here and there with the absurd plots.
    I know exactly what ya mean. I've read a lotta Silver Age stuff before and man, oh, man is it fucking crazy. Just the dialogue alone is incomprehensibly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Then you need to add Micronauts. Captain universe first shows up, microverse/ quantum realm used in ant-man movie, bug has role in later gotg and was almost in the first movie. Ties with x-men and crossover mini, dr doom ties, micron city was in ant-man and wasp movie (it's where she was living in the film), wasp spends a year there in the comics during bendis era, spidey had a 4 part Annuel with them in the 90s, fantastic four has nods to them at times. Etc.

Godzilla does have red ronin, avengers, nick fury, champions, devil dino, and others and godzilla cameos in bendis avengers book but you can as just read the wiki pages on what went on and skip it. Many of those listed you can other then rom Micronauts, and shang chi.

Also forgot doc savage in that list. Short lived series but it did crossover with marvel two in one but main series can be skipped.

The less said about NFL superpro the better.
    Thanks. Will definitely be reading all the Rom stuff and now all the Micronauts stuff. Definitely not gonna worry about the Godzilla stuff or any of those other characters ya mentioned who weren't originally Marvel characters. Will be skipping Doc Savage and don't even wanna know anything about NFL SuperPro.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Rom
    micronauts
    conan
    kull
    red sonja
    soloman kaine
    shogun warriors
    human fly
    us1
    team america
    meteor man
    Alf Annuel 1
    Dr who (in another universe but goes to the main universe at times)
    tarzan
    Shang chi master of kung-fu
    john carter of mars
    shadow (a full one issue!)
    guiding light heroes
    nightcat
    2001 machine man
    kiss
    NFL superpro
    Godzilla
    among other 3rd party titles are canon with the main universe.

Then there is the transformers and gijoe mess where spidey, nick fury, dum dum, savage land, roxxon, alien suit (and godzilla nod) had roles plus circuit breaker in secret wars talking about shockwave in main universe comic, hawk in issues of spider-man and shang chi, quick kick crossover saying these comics are still canon in some way! (what a mess. Marvel should just have left them canon when they started showing up in spider-man!)

Out of these titles shang chi, rom and micronauts and ironic the first 16 issues of transformers have the most ties with the main universe. Meteor man does cross over with the night thrasher comic (and spidey shows up) and kiss fights dr doom and dr droid. Godzilla has tons of marvel heroes also.

But rom, shang chi and micronauts are the big ones. Conan is in the past but great read also. Godzilla does have many marvel heroes in it.
    Marvel also did some other movie properties. They had an Indiana Jones comic. But the one that really saved them at a time when their financial situation hit a low point was when they lucked out in getting the rights to do a Star Wars comic.

After an unsuccessful pitch to Stan Lee, who wanted to concentrate on comics featuring original characters instead of licensed ones, Charlie Lippincott and Ed Summer (owner of the Supersnipe Comic Art Emporium, a comic shop of which George Lucas was a silent partner) pitched Star Wars to Roy Thomas. Thomas was a long-time Marvel writer and former Editor-in-Chief who brought the Conan the Barbarian, another licensed property, to Marvel. Conan was also written by Roy Thomas, and sold nearly as many copies of Amazing Spider-Man at the time, consistently beating Marvel stalwarts like Avengers and Fantastic Four in sales.

Roy Thomas championed the Marvel adaptation of Star Wars after Lipincott showed him McQuarrie's concept art for the movie. Thomas saw Star Wars as an exciting return to fantasy comics. The Star Wars adaptation rights also had an added benefit - they were free.
    IIRC they initially followed the movies but eventually branched off. They are still fairly popular today in the Marvel catalog of comics.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-23-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Bows to your superior ambition.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You gonna die
    LOL! That was similar to my reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Seems he's kind of a part of the Marvel Multiverse too. If the Marvel UK stuff is available on the Marvel Unlimited app, then yeah.

Thanks!!!

Just finished Marvel Comics #1....

Then there was the first published appearance of Namor the Sub-Mariner. I really have to wonder what Bill Everett was thinking when he came up with this guy. Did he see him as a villain or a hero? He's a mass-murderer but, apparently, that's OK because he's murdering white men to avenge murders other white men committed without knowing it. And why does his skin and his cousin Dorma's skin change to normal human colour when they're not underwater? When they are underwater, they're blue. And, in one scene, Namor's green.
    That's why Namor is known as the comics first anti-hero. Everett definitely didn't have a simple, black and white take on Namor. The Oracle didn't know about the underwater city, when it first showed up, but after Fen showed up??? And Namor also killed those two divers without knowing it. He thought they were two invading robots. And Namor was like 16 or 17, ignorant of the surface world, and his ruler considered them at war when they sent off him off as a warrior in the fight.

As for the skin color ... Originally, the more human looking Sub-Mariners, like Fen and Dorma, had "white" skin. They were colored blue when underwater, to show that. There were some issues with the coloring, as the Namor story is actually a reprint (+ the last four pages), that was originally printed in black and white. When it was reprinted for Marvel Comics #1, Everett tried some experimental coloring techniques, which didn't work out quite like he wanted and muddied up things. It also doesn't help that in the various reprints since then, colorists have tried to 'fix' the coloring of the Sub-Mariners, to match the post 60s blue skin color of the Sub-Mariners / Atlanteans. You have to read the original comic to see what Everett intended regarding the Sub-Mariners' skin color.

Also, remember, the Golden Age stuff is not really consistent even within the story, and continuity is non-existent. Though, I think you'll find that Everett's Sub-Mariner actually attempts it with the serial format.

Sean Howe explains it all, with pictures, here:

https://atomsmashers.blogspot.com/20...tis-blues.html
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Spectacular Member

Good luck, a little warning, the Ant-Man/Giant-Man and Human Torch features are really hard to slog through, if you make it that far.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I guess it all depends on your age group. I have no problem reading them. I think they're a hoot a lot of times. You have to consider the times and go with it. Do you feel the same way about watching some classics like the old Universal monster movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Bows to your superior ambition.

Good luck!
    Thanks!

The Oracle didn't know about the underwater city, when it first showed up, but after Fen showed up???
    Sorry, don't get what ya mean here.

And Namor also killed those two divers without knowing it. He thought they were two invading robots. And Namor was like 16 or 17, ignorant of the surface world, and his ruler considered them at war when they sent off him off as a warrior in the fight.

As for the skin color ... Originally, the more human looking Sub-Mariners, like Fen and Dorma, had "white" skin. They were colored blue when underwater, to show that. There were some issues with the coloring, as the Namor story is actually a reprint (+ the last four pages), that was originally printed in black and white. When it was reprinted for Marvel Comics #1, Everett tried some experimental coloring techniques, which didn't work out quite like he wanted and muddied up things. It also doesn't help that in the various reprints since then, colorists have tried to 'fix' the coloring of the Sub-Mariners, to match the post 60s blue skin color of the Sub-Mariners / Atlanteans. You have to read the original comic to see what Everett intended regarding the Sub-Mariners' skin color.

Also, remember, the Golden Age stuff is not really consistent even within the story, and continuity is non-existent. Though, I think you'll find that Everett's Sub-Mariner actually attempts it with the serial format.

Sean Howe explains it all, with pictures, here:

https://atomsmashers.blogspot.com/20...tis-blues.html
    Wow, you're a veritable Wikipedia of Namor knowledge. Thanks for clearing all that up.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    Good luck, a little warning, the Ant-Man/Giant-Man and Human Torch features are really hard to slog through, if you make it that far.
    Thanks for the tip.

Good luck. I thought of doing that with Batman but the silver age stuff were stories from another planet so I gave up on that. Maybe when I'm older and retire I will though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready Eddie View Post
    Good luck. I thought of doing that with Batman but the silver age stuff were stories from another planet so I gave up on that. Maybe when I'm older and retire I will though lol.
    Thanks.

2521.jpg

how much will this cost you?
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

I love classic movies and tv shows and I own every single Essential released for Spider-Man and X-Men. I'm just saying Hank Pym is one of my favorite heroes and it's hard to read through them when you're looking forward to more Avengers and other heroes stories

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    how much will this cost you?
    I'm using the Marvel Unlimited app.

Then apart from Conan and Shang-Chi, I don't think these are available to you:
    Rom
    micronauts
    conan
    kull
    red sonja
    soloman kaine
    shogun warriors
    human fly
    us1
    team america
    meteor man
    Alf Annuel 1
    Dr who (in another universe but goes to the main universe at times)
    tarzan
    Shang chi master of kung-fu
    john carter of mars
    shadow (a full one issue!)
    guiding light heroes
    nightcat
    2001 machine man
    kiss
    NFL superpro
    Godzilla
    among other 3rd party titles are canon with the main universe.
    Doctor Who actually only visits 616 once I believe. And that's to bring in Death's Head from the Transformers universe. Marvel UK being sold to Panini is how Marvel lost the DW rights - Panini still publishes Doctor Who Magazine to this day, though the rights are no longer exclusive as Titan also currently has use of the franchise.

Rom, Micronauts, Transformers and GI Joe are currently with IDW, though it's just been announced that they're losing them at the end of the year. I wonder where Hasbro will move them to?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-24-2022 at 03:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    I'm using the Marvel Unlimited app.
    That's not going to get you there, son.

Doctor Who actually only visits 616 once I believe.
    Nope he made quick cameos after that. Marvel has snuck him and his cast in a few times like in a later issue of iron man. Just background easter eggs like godzilla.

Tardis shows up in avengers age of ultron movie as a easter egg also.

[IMG][/IMG]