• No

49 71.01%
  • Depends on the circumstances

14 20.29%
  • Who cares-they won't stay dead anyway

4 5.80%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I think questions like "why can't they just sentence him to death without any sort of complication that he gets out of it coming up" (I'm looking at you, Devil's Advocate) or like someone else said, why doesn't some rando cop pull the trigger on him are just as valid, imho. Like, you can literally write any scenario where Joker bites it, whether that's the system actually working or some corrupt cop who - instead of working for the crooks - decides to kill one himself. It doesn't have to be on Bats.
    Yep, they ran into a situation with Jason Todd as Robin where he 'may' have killed a guy and made it look like an 'accident'. Diplomatic immunity stopped they guy from being prosecuted from killing a woman and Jason wasn't having it.

Frankly that's the kind of thing that legit should have happened to Joker decades ago. Any random cop or Arkham intern could finish him off and just throw up their hands and say 'He was gonna kill me' and totally get away with it. Probably get a raise and a parade.

Batman can still keep his hands cleans, but the fact that EVERYONE lets Joker get away with everything is mind boggling.

I voted no. It's simply not in Bruce's character to kill (nowadays). It goes against everything he stands for.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep, they ran into a situation with Jason Todd as Robin where he 'may' have killed a guy and made it look like an 'accident'. Diplomatic immunity stopped they guy from being prosecuted from killing a woman and Jason wasn't having it.

Frankly that's the kind of thing that legit should have happened to Joker decades ago. Any random cop or Arkham intern could finish him off and just throw up their hands and say 'He was gonna kill me' and totally get away with it. Probably get a raise and a parade.

Batman can still keep his hands cleans, but the fact that EVERYONE lets Joker get away with everything is mind boggling.
    I mean, this is way more likely than Batman ever doing it. The not killing think is just engrained in his psyche.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

Should have? Maybe. But Joker sells. If you kill him off, he gets brought back, or they make a copycat. Or both.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Op answer

That still not his job
    He shouldn't have to cover for other people not doing their job
    He's already covering the police force in capturing and security in funding and he already adjust to escalation by escalating himself to the point of building an army

No one has the right to ask him to do even more especially against his ideals
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-29-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Should have? Maybe. But Joker sells. If you kill him off, he gets brought back, or they make a copycat. Or both.
    That's what the "why doesn't he just kill Joker?" crowd don't understand, it would be an exercise in futility. If Batman abandoned his morals tomorrow to keep Joker alive a number of things would happen.

Either Bruce tries to kill Joker and fails, which is feasible seeing as Joker has survived some extreme things like explosions, gunshots, falls from great heights, getting stabbed a lot, etc. Or he tries to kill him and is conviently always stopped either by a Batfamily member, Gordon or a Joker goon. Or he somehow succeeds, what do ya know Joker was carried to a Lazarus Pit just in time to revive him.

From a financial and businuess point of view Joker for all intents and purposes must exist so even if Batman said screw it I'm gonna put him 6ft under something would prevent Joker from actually dying. Let's face it with how popular he is even most of the people asking why Batman hasn't offed him yet like Joker too.

They're arguing for something they don't actually want. If he were to be killed by Batman most of these same people would be up in arms that DC foolishly killed off the greatest comic book villain ever.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    That's what the "why doesn't he just kill Joker?" crowd don't understand, it would be an exercise in futility. If Batman abandoned his morals tomorrow to keep Joker alive a number of things would happen.

Either Bruce tries to kill Joker and fails, which is feasible seeing as Joker has survived some extreme things like explosions, gunshots, falls from great heights, getting stabbed a lot, etc. Or he tries to kill him and is conviently always stopped either by a Batfamily member, Gordon or a Joker goon. Or he somehow succeeds, what do ya know Joker was carried to a Lazarus Pit just in time to revive him.

From a financial and businuess point of view Joker for all intents and purposes must exist so even if Batman said screw it I'm gonna put him 6ft under something would prevent Joker from actually dying. Let's face it with how popular he is even most of the people asking why Batman hasn't offed him yet like Joker too.

They're arguing for something they don't actually want. If he were to be killed by Batman most of these same people would be up in arms that DC foolishly killed off the greatest comic book villain ever.
    Leaving aside how there is no way the people who want Joker dead and those would be mad if he did die are the same people.

The only reason this question is even being asked is because the writers keep bringing it up in the first place. Your real ire should be with the writers who drag out this tired topic and the editors who let them. Because it seems to me that the people who don't realize that DC can't kill the Joker are DC themselves.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-30-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Leaving aside how their is no way the people who want Joker dead and those would be mad if he did die are the same people.

The only reason this question is even being asked is because the writers keep bringing it up in the first place. Your real ire should be with the writers who drag out this tired topic and the editors who let them. Because it seems to me that the people who don't realize that DC can't kill the Joker are DC themselves.
    With as big of a fan base as Joker has you really don't think a majority of the kill Joker crowd aren't fans of him too? The odds of a bunch of people who consume Batman media not liking Joker is pretty slim. I've seen people with Joker avatars on YouTube ask why Batman leaves him alive.

DC can't kill Joker anymore than they can kill any popular character, people always ask how does Batman survive everything he has and it's because of his popularity. Even if writers didn't talk about this topic fans would still think about it and wonder why nobody has killed Joker yet. He has no powers, causes massive amounts of death and destruction and is the most evil human alive. Naturally questions will arise on why he's not dead yet.

Leaving aside how their is no way the people who want Joker dead and those would be mad if he did die are the same people.

Agreed. The issue exists... because Batman whines about it regularly. Why? And that is the real question..... other heroes make commentary about it, they just don't feel the need to make speeches about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Agreed. The issue exists... because Batman whines about it regularly. Why? And that is the real question..... other heroes make commentary about it, they just don't feel the need to make speeches about it.
    Whines about what? Other heroes have no kill rules too, the reason it's brought up so much is because Joker's body count keeps getting higher and higher. Joker is really the only villain who most would agree deserves death no questions asked. Even if Batman never "whined" about it everyone would still wonder why someone as evil as Joker wasn't put in a coffin by now.

With as big of a fan base as Joker has you really don't think a majority of the kill Joker crowd aren't fans of him too?
    No, because people generally don't argue for killing off characters they like. When this conversation pops up, the Joker fans are among the ones who strongly oppose killing him. At worst, they'll suggest giving him a break or toning down his brutality and sadism.

The odds of a bunch of people who consume Batman media not liking Joker is pretty slim. I've seen people with Joker avatars on YouTube ask why Batman leaves him alive.
    Those are likely the exception not the rule. Hell, people use characters they dislike or are indifferent to on the Internet more often than you think.

Even if writers didn't talk about this topic fans would still think about it and wonder why nobody has killed Joker yet.
    No they wouldn't, because the writers addressing this stuff in the stories where Joker is at his most murderous and vile is why fans started asking this question in the first place. Other superheroes don't draw these debates nearly as often as Batman or to a lesser extent Superman. Because unlike those two, they don't have numerous stories built on asking this question.

No, because people generally don't argue for killing off characters they like. When this conversation pops up, the Joker fans are among the ones who strongly oppose killing him. At worst, they'll suggest giving him a break or toning down his brutality and sadism.

Those are likely the exception not the rule. Hell, people use characters they dislike or are indifferent to on the Internet more often than you think.

No they wouldn't, because the writers addressing this stuff in the stories where Joker is at his most murderous and vile is why fans started asking this question in the first place. Other superheroes don't draw these debates nearly as often as Batman or to a lesser extent Superman. Because unlike those two, they don't have numerous stories built on asking this question.
    This question is common among even casual fans, Joker is huge with them and even they ask why nobody has killed him yet. Anecdotally I've had friends and family who don't read comics ask why Batman won't kill Joker and I know for a fact they're fans of him. When I ask them how they'd react if Batman finally did kill him and we never see Joker again they usually have a "oh yeah" response.

Casual fans are mostly seeing these characters in movies and tv and most movie Batmen have killed so Batman going on about not wanting to kill isn't as ingrained into their minds. They see Keaton Batman strap a bomb to a henchman, gleefully smile and kick him off a ledge and wonder why he doesn't do the same to Joker. They see Batfleck mow down goons and ask why he doesn't do it to his villains.

Regarding other heroes yes people would ask why they haven't stepped in and killed Joker. There's actually a big portion of fans who ask why the JL members who do kill don't kill Joker if they see Batman and the powers that be in Gotham either won't or aren't capable. When I tell people Batman doesn't kill no matter what eventually they ask why someone like Wonder Woman doesn't kill Joker on principle if Batman won't.

Think about it, Joker's done some heinous ****, why has no other hero killed him? It's not a stretch that someone would wonder that.

I do remember an issue of Hitman where Tommy was paid to kill the Joker and some other Arkham inmates. He just bribed some guards and walked in and started shooting people. Sadly, Joker wasn't actually there and another villain was pretending to be Joker, but it did show how easy something like that would be.

Also, he got to shoot the Mad Hatter in the knees.

Really though, Joker being popular isn't a reason you can't kill him. In fact, you could kill the Joker and STILL use the Joker more than ever. Kill the Joker then you can have a Last Will and Testament of the Joker storyline where various villain compete for what he's left behind while telling stories about their encounters with him. Then you cna do a reign of the Jokers where different people are popping up all claiming to be the real guy and nobody knows who the real guy is. Then once you establish none of them are the real guy, you do a limited series/event called Joker Goes to Hell. Tell me you wouldn't read a story called Joker goes to hell based on the name alone.

This question is common among even casual fans, Joker is huge with them and even they ask why nobody has killed him yet.
    No, it isn't. Casuals don't care about this stuff nearly as much as comic fans do. Most adaptations either don't depict in such a vile light to raise this question or just kill him off anyway (Burton's Batman movie even has Bruce do the deed). To the extent that casuals think about this, it wouldn't even be enough to upset them if Joker is killed because the Joker will be back in the next movie or tv show.

Casual fans are mostly seeing these characters in movies and tv and most movie Batmen have killed so Batman going on about not wanting to kill isn't as ingrained into their minds. They see Keaton Batman strap a bomb to a henchman, gleefully smile and kick him off a ledge and wonder why he doesn't do the same to Joker. They see Batfleck mow down goons and ask why he doesn't do it to his villains.
    Again, casual fans aren't asking this. At least, not nearly to the extent comic fans have this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I do remember an issue of Hitman where Tommy was paid to kill the Joker and some other Arkham inmates. He just bribed some guards and walked in and started shooting people. Sadly, Joker wasn't actually there and another villain was pretending to be Joker, but it did show how easy something like that would be.

Also, he got to shoot the Mad Hatter in the knees.

Really though, Joker being popular isn't a reason you can't kill him. In fact, you could kill the Joker and STILL use the Joker more than ever. Kill the Joker then you can have a Last Will and Testament of the Joker storyline where various villain compete for what he's left behind while telling stories about their encounters with him. Then you cna do a reign of the Jokers where different people are popping up all claiming to be the real guy and nobody knows who the real guy is. Then once you establish none of them are the real guy, you do a limited series/event called Joker Goes to Hell. Tell me you wouldn't read a story called Joker goes to hell based on the name alone.
    Being dead in the comics doesn't even stop other media from using the character. Gwen Stacy has been dead for decades and has been featured in no less than three adaptations where she wasn't killed off.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-30-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Being dead in the comics doesn't stop other media from using the character. Gwen Stacy has been dead for decades and has been featured in no less than three adaptations where she wasn't killed off.
    One of the Batman games actually has joker die BEFORE the start of the gamer and they use him the entire game anyways, and even have a boss encounter with a fake Joker.